Chapala.com Webboard

Roku and netgear

Me Linda

I know nothing about netgear, but we bring down our roku each year and are happy to do so.   (We use the Roku stick and it takes up even less space than the Roku.) Basic cable here has little choice in English content, and the upgraded plans are pricey.  Our Roku gives us our main TV entertainment.  

The problem here is that there is no easy answer. Roku and all those devices work well if the Internet signal is strong enough. But because we are in Mexico, licensing agreements with most media services don't apply. Thus, you can get Netflix Mexico, but will have a much harder time trying to set up for Netflix US. I spent a long time yesterday hooking up a new Roku, with a trial period for a VPN service to make it appear the device (and the Smart TV, too) is in the U.S., and in the end it just didn't work. Interestingly, things like Pandora work just fine on the person's computer using the same VPN. In fact, we had to remove the DNS settings on the Roku just to get it back to seeing the Internet.

So, you end up getting online with tech support from whichever VPN/DNS service you are using, trying to figure it all out. One major drawback is that TelMex modems use proprietary software that cannot be changed to do what we want, so the next step is to get a modified router and a VPN service, and start trying to figure it out from there. It all falls flat if you ever change your modem or have to reset it, so you can expect to be calling on your technician more than once.

The problem is a lot more complicated with many different workarounds than I can possibly go into here, but that's the simple answer. For example, if the OP brings the router, that can be used perhaps to extend the WiFi signal area, but unless it can be set as an "extender", then it still has to be hard-wired to the Telmex modem, which makes it pointless since the Telmex modems have just as strong a signal as almost any affordable router you can purchase. And the list goes on.

We love our Roku for USTVNOW but other than that it's fine for not much else with the exception if your hometown local stations are on Roku you can watch your old local newscasts. I figured the solution was to "cast" my smartphone to the TV. Bought Amazon Fire stick and an Amazon phone, both of which support casting. I put a VPN on my phone and sure enough I can watch my Amazon Prime videos. Cool, now let's cast it. Everything was fine until I clicked connect then the screen went black. Back and forth with tech support and they finally said the guaranteed refurbished Fire was defective. The new one arrived and I had the same problem. Finally support asked if I was in the US. When I replied no he told me casting on the Fire only works there. I complained that nowhere in the specs did it say that and he agreed it should. As CG says it's not easy to spoof a router and as I found out nor a Fire stick. Does anyone know if the Chromecast dongle works outside the US to cast?

The truly great thing about KODI is that it frees its users from all of that time that used to be wasted watching TV. Now all that time can be wasted trying to keep the KODI box current and functioning. If you would really rather be troubleshooting your computer than watching your TV KODI will be your new favorite toy.

Kodi for me as well. I have recently started paying for ultimatemania so i can watch epl. which can have bufferring problems on match days. But otherwise kodi is great. Free recent films and upto date programmes . Use exodus. Phoenix and showbox through wookie. All you ever need.

Simon. I do get bufferring on hd live tv but not on films !.i only get 5 download speed here is there any way to eliminate this?

I'm using a Buffalo DD-WRT secondary router running through Strong VPN in the U.S. specifically to watch Amazon Prime and NetFlix using ROKU.  The latter gets blocked from time to time but Strong unblocks within several days.  Never had a problem with Amazon.  The Buffalo is chained with the TelMex router.

I also have an OPPO 103D Blue Ray player that has NetFlix built in and it streams NetFlix perfectly to my projector using a LAN NetGear AV500 system.

I piggyback on my brothers U.S. CATV using this setup and get all the ESPN, HGTV, History Channel, Disney and Public TV out of Arizona.

I didn't have to do anything to set up the ROKU other than set up the wifi part of it.  I can switch between the TelMex wifi and a location in California very easily on the ROKU using the "Network" function.

All those options are way above the heads of many in the general population. mattoleriver said it best: If you would really rather be troubleshooting your computer than watching your TV KODI will be your new favorite toy.

Sure, it's easy once it's all setup and running, but getting it there with all those steps means you have to be very interested in doing this kind of thing yourself, or you are going to out-of-pocket more than once to a technician.

Before you do this you might have to install "Easy Advanced Settings. You can google that. Acestream works good for EPL. I can post that later or you can google it. On my way to bridge now.

Go to System
Click System Info
Note the Free Memory amount
now go to
Video, Add-ons,
If you move your mouse to the left of the screen you get an option to view thumbnails instead of list if you want just by clicking on "view"
Easy Advanced Settings, Edit Settings, Network Settings, Network
        <buffermode>2</buffermode>
        <cachemembuffersize>3908042752</cachemembuffersize> This is determined by free memory/3 x 1024 x 1024.
        <curlclienttimeout>10</curlclienttimeout>
        <curllowspeedtime>10</curllowspeedtime>
        <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
click backward out if screen 3 times
and click write xml file.
reboot Kodi (if you press reboot in KODI it reboots the computer, just close and reopen KODI)

Also for EPL a couple of hours after it is over go to http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/

You either stream or download quick highlights, extended highlights, or if you scroll down a little lower there are links to each entire half.. No buffering problems there.

To download instead using Firefox, install Flash Video Downloader.

You should not need to though as the video works great in the browser..

If you have Windows 10 I have found Edge to stream a little better.

I am heading. back to Canada tomorrow but will check back here when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

roku works well here as long as your internet connection is good enoguh (most do).

you can buy or bring your suscription for american channels (wow, pix, etc) .

or, I sell machtv (a roku channel) if you are interested

Archived