Chapala.com Webboard

Superlake

Floradude

The prices have gone up only on stuff imported from the US, and understandably so due to the exchange rate. NEVER have had them either overcharge or double charge. I do check my receipt. 

As a permanent resident here for over 6 years, I do not yet understand the "SuperLake" locality.  While I must adimit, I do enjoy being able to get that "special imported item a recipe may call for" - but I don't understand how come so many expats do all of their shopping there?  How about supporting the local markets for fresh stuff, the local butcher shops for meats, the local grocery stores for all else.?  The Mexican community needs us expats to support their stores, shops and markets................we all decided to retire and live here, let's knock off the Walmart and SuperLake and support our local Mexican Shop Keepers unless  you cannot find an item you need.  Isn't the culture and local experience part of the reason we all love living here?  Thanks for listening to my rant.  Let's support our local Mexican shop keepers and let the snowbirds support the others.

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

SuperLake IS a local market owned and operated by Mexicans. Don't look now but SuperLake IS part of the local culture and experience.

And has been for over twenty years. About the only thing that I buy in Superlake that is imported is Shredded Wheat. Nearly every other thing that I buy there is produced in Mexico. For those with dietary issues, Pancho is a godsend. I bought gluten free shortbread for a friend with problems...she is "allowing" herself the treat of two a day.

I have never been charged incorrectly.

20 minutes ago, Xena said:

SuperLake IS a local market owned and operated by Mexicans. Don't look now but SuperLake IS part of the local culture and experience.

As much anyone hates high prices, I have to agree with Xena.

I live in Riberas. I use the local tiendas for milk, eggs, and some veggies, but there are no carnecerias near me.

A stop at SuperLake lands me next to Tony's, Superlake and the liquor store... all owned and operated by Mexicans who were smart enough to cater to the local clientele.

Moreover, I do not consider my existence to be that of Goodwill or UNICEF ambassador to the 3rd world merely because I was not born here.

I am entitled to shop wherever I want. I guarantee you that Mexicans make plenty of money off of my shopping through import taxes, gas taxes, ownership interest, etc. Plus, I tip very generously.

All good answers. And I have to add: buy Judy King's excellent book on Living At Lake Chapala; then read chapter 56, those of you who feel SuperLake's prices may be too high. And partake of the genius of the family that started the store, long before when it was akin to a fruit and veggie stand. Here is a local family that improved their own lot, and that of everyone around them. And notice that only the imported and specialty items are high-priced, and discover why. (For example, did you know about the 10 employees in the warehouse up north that need two weeks to prepare every order coming down here? Probably not.)

And, while occasionally I see the odd full basket, it's usually tourists who don't yet have the lay of the land. Further, on weekends, it's packed with Tapatios, all anxious to get their hands on otherwise hard-to-find items.

Finally, those of us who are regulars here are very familiar with local markets, butchers, tienditas, taco stands, chicken stands, weekly markets (not including gringo markets), and other places to shop. I really miss the corner fruit vendors, and juice bars, that used to be all over the place, and now I see so many kids eating junk from the chain corner stores while swilling Cokes. It's cheaper to get cookies, chips and candy bars than it was to buy a litre of papaya, or mango, or watermelon on the way home from school.

17 hours ago, Guiness said:

As a permanent resident here for over 6 years, I do not yet understand the "SuperLake" locality.  While I must adimit, I do enjoy being able to get that "special imported item a recipe may call for" - but I don't understand how come so many expats do all of their shopping there?  How about supporting the local markets for fresh stuff, the local butcher shops for meats, the local grocery stores for all else.?  The Mexican community needs us expats to support their stores, shops and markets................we all decided to retire and live here, let's knock off the Walmart and SuperLake and support our local Mexican Shop Keepers unless  you cannot find an item you need.  Isn't the culture and local experience part of the reason we all love living here?  Thanks for listening to my rant.  Let's support our local Mexican shop keepers and let the snowbirds support the others.

How do you know "So many expat's do their shopping there".  Do you sit outside and watch. ?    Because when shop there I don't see anyone with overflowing shopping carts, most of the shoppers have hand baskets...

42 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

The info about SuperLake bringing products over the border themselves is out of date.  They buy their imported products from the GDL abastos or Costco.  Check the import stickers and you'll see who actually imported the products.

I heartily disagree; he has always bought stuff from Abastos and CostCo, in addition to his imports. I am now setting out to prove you wrong.

It's much cheaper for him to buy from the abastos than have a crew at the border to unbox every product, put on the import sticker, (which incidentally must be produced by the importer) as well as calorie content, etc., rebox then pay shipping from the border.

How about convenience, variety, selection, promotions? They all add to the experience. That said, I do delight in buying as much of our veg needs in the small mom and pop ops around. We are also creatures of habit and knowing I can get what I want at Superlake keeps me going back pretty regularly. Just my way. ?. 

Me, I always watch at SuperLake as the prices are rung up. And I check my receipt after I get home. I have never had a problem in my 10+ years here. Granted, I use US recipes, particularly crockpot ones, and every recipe seems to require one exotic ingredient, which SuperLake generally has. I do look at the prices! And if the prices are too high, I go on to the next recipe! Malfortunado, many recipes available online are sponsored by food companies, and involve at least one exotic ingredient (courtesy of the food companies) not generally available. I found this true in the US, and of course, here, it is, shall we say, muy difficile. Years and possibly eons ago, I subscribed to Gourmet Magazine (well, all have our shortcomings!) and they were famous for having one exotic hard-to-obtain ingredient in each and every recipe. Needless to say, I gave up my subscription when I moved here.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

It's much cheaper for him to buy from the abastos than have a crew at the border to unbox every product, put on the import sticker, (which incidentally must be produced by the importer) as well as calorie content, etc., rebox then pay shipping from the border.

Did you read the chapter? Somehow, I don't think so, or your answer would be much different.

Here is the reply from the author: You are absolutely right-- he always did get stuff from Abastos, Costco, and there have been a couple of importers IN Guad that he was/is able to buy, for instance Italian made pastas that are imported directly from Italy to Mexico without entering the US, thus saving us money. 

He still uses all resources possible to serve as many people as possible, including the lady who won't use Arm and Hammer baking soda labeled in Spanish, ONLY imported "because it just isn't the same." LOL At the end of 2016 he was still bringing 2 48' trailers of food into Mexico every month, with an additional trailer once or twice a year. 

Again, someone who hasn't read the book, nor understands the value of the in-depth research undertaken by the author. A woman who has known the "SuperLake" family for more years than the majority of expats have even been here. Why would you doubt her veracity? I offer the haters a simple explanation about prices at SL, and these are the kind of comments that are left. Sheesh.

CGuy--First of all, I'm not a hater of the author.  And if I'm correct she has two editions of the book.  I read the older book when I came to Mexico permanently almost 12 years ago.  I don't doubt her veracity, and he buys more from the abastos now than he did in the past.  That's all I'm saying.  And BTW--why are you so cranky today??

1 hour ago, bigd said:

The next time you buy anything with an expiration date such as mayo, canned goods etc just check the date it will expire in the next 30 days as a rule. Don't know if Costco sells the same or not? As for all the handling at the border???are you kidding

Never found anything with a short expiry date, but then I don't always check the date... And does it really matter anyway.. Usually the stuff I buy from Pancho doesn't sit around that long.. 

Pancho would have a custom's broker deal with the all the paper work at the border..  When you import regularly like that crossing the border would be no hassle at all...

23 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

CGuy--First of all, I'm not a hater of the author.  And if I'm correct she has two editions of the book.  I read the older book when I came to Mexico permanently almost 12 years ago.  I don't doubt her veracity, and he buys more from the abastos now than he did in the past.  That's all I'm saying.  And BTW--why are you so cranky today??

Cranky? Maybe. Because two of you flat out said "baloney" to my post. And I wasn't saying you were a hater of the author, but more akin to someone who just feels like naysaying otherwise happy posts, because... why...?

We are all very fortunate to have a resource like Superlake available to us.  If you don't want to shop in this Mexican owned and operated store, that is your choice. I am grateful the store is there for the times when you must have that one item that only Superlake carries.  I'm also grateful for the efforts the extended Paz familty put into their enterprises and the amount of community support they provide.

Been shopping at Superlake to find hard to find items for more than ten years.

If I could have a wish, it would be that they'd once again stock New Zealand salted butter, it went off the radar about a year ago.

Another impossible wish is that Paco would build a new Superlake with an acre of parking; the present 

situation is a nightmare. O.K. it's just a wish, so no lectures please.

Archived