Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a new tablet - here or in the US?

hkrause

We need to buy a new tablet. Going to the US soon... should I get it NOB, or buy here (Guadalajara or Lakeside)? I know that computers would come with a Spanish OS and keyboard, but are there any similar problems getting a tablet here if I need it to work in English? Would prefer to buy locally if possible, in case I need to return or deal with warranty issues.

Looking for an Android device, btw... 10" or larger screen. New (please don't try to sell me a used one). WiFi only. Any thoughts on best place to purchase? Best Buy, Office Depot, Costco, other?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Not sure, 10" or larger is getting into notebook size, not tablet.

Thanks, Tom. Well, thereabouts. I guess most are probably in the 9.5-9.7" range... I was just generally calling it 10". That's the size of what I have now and my poor eyes can't deal well with anything much smaller. :) 

2 minutes ago, Localgeekinajijic said:

Doesn't matter where you buy (USA/Mexico) the tablet if you buy Android they are multi language on the intial setup.

Thank you. I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I suspect they will be Spanish out of the box if bought here, but I can probably stumble my way through changing it to English if that's available.

2 minutes ago, hkrause said:

Thank you. I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I suspect they will be Spanish out of the box if bought here, but I can probably stumble my way through changing it to English if that's available.

Straight out of the box the first option is to change the language. So you'll be fine.

Thanks, all. I didn't see anything I liked at Walmart or Telcel. Should I go into Guad for best selection? Or is there anyplace else to shop for one here at Lakeside? What do people here use in the Android environment... brand/model?

Hall Microcomputers, the Apple distributor in Guadalajara, who comes to Lakeside often, could provide an iPad Pro, which has a 12+ inch screen.  Give them a call.   http://hall.com.mx/

I have dealt with them for years & the service & warranty will be local.

I shopped on Amazon.com for mine but found the same thing at Best Buy for a little less money ... plus didn't have to worry if there was a problem about sending it back.  I read several many reviews on Amazon where people had received tablets or laptops and they didn't work right out of the box.  Didn't want to deal with that potential problem.  

23 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Hall Microcomputers, the Apple distributor in Guadalajara, who comes to Lakeside often, could provide an iPad Pro, which has a 12+ inch screen.  Give them a call.   http://hall.com.mx/

I have dealt with them for years & the service & warranty will be local.

OP said they wanted an Android tablet

Thanks for all the great input, everybody. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet at Best Buy in Guad. No problems shopping, got it quickly, and no issues with setup. I was hoping to get one quickly so I could get it configured before my upcoming trip. Same tablet ordered from Amazon and delivered to my travel destination would have cost about $80 US more than buying in Guad with Pesos.

I did check Costco, by the way... mostly they seemed to have Apple devices with just a few others. Didn't work for me (I'm all Android), but for people wanting Apple, it could be a good shopping option.

Heather

Archived