Chapala.com Webboard

Dog wheelchair

My 7 year old rescue Boxer has just been diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy and I am doing research on dog wheelchairs. To complicate things, she has only 1 rear leg so her ability to continue to use the one rear leg is rapidly declining. If you have a dog in a wheelchair would you please PM or respond to this post and give me any thoughts or information or your experience with them? Charley and I would appreciate your help.

Lobos I feel for you and hope you find someone who can help.  I could be wrong but I was sure about five years ago the subject came up and there was someone locally who made animal wheelchairs; I could be way wrong but I think that the man worked in the plaza across from Wal-mart (Interlago?).  I will ask around and see if I can turn up any information but is it possible that one of the local vets could lead you to the information that you seek?

We used a dog stroller back in Canada a few years ago.  It worked extremely well, just like a baby stroller.  We could not buy one in Canada at that time that would take the weight of our Cocker Spaniel, had to order one from the States.  The money was well spent.  Good luck, I do hope you find something that will meet the needs of your precious Boxer.

Lobos...email my friend Maureen.  I believe she has information for you.  She does not read, comment on this site.  Maureenmexico@hotmail.com.  She had a sheltie with issues.

and to the nasty comment person...ever heard if you can't say something  nice, don't say anything at all?  Try it.

On 2/19/2017 at 3:37 PM, lobos said:

My 7 year old rescue Boxer has just been diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy and I am doing research on dog wheelchairs. To complicate things, she has only 1 rear leg so her ability to continue to use the one rear leg is rapidly declining. If you have a dog in a wheelchair would you please PM or respond to this post and give me any thoughts or information or your experience with them? Charley and I would appreciate your help.

My elder dog was diagnosed with the same mid-January. I'd already researched wheelchairs for dogs (see link below) to discuss with my vet but he says, in his experience, they work best with dogs who are completely paralyzed in the hind quarters, rather than having issues with one leg, as mine is. Your dog might have better results adapting. I've not attempted to order yet; we are just moving slowly and I'm giving a lot of support on our slow walks now.

Here's the link: please let me know how it works out for you. It's heartbreaking but at least our pups have good front halves.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dog-wheelchair-medium-adjustable-wheelchairs-for-dogs-with-disabilities

16 hours ago, lobos said:

Thanks for the link. Charley only has one back leg and that is very unstable. She is unable to go on walks now and has difficulty going up and down the back steps. Does your dog have both legs? 

Yes, the right leg is unstable and numb (altho not painful), it drags, crosses under the left, and makes squatting a challenge so our walks are now slow and limited although we get out to keep the world open to him. I notice a decline even in the recent weeks since diagnosis but we are nowhere near terminal. I thought the wheelchair would be a great option but do recognize that getting used to the chair with one working leg could be tough for a 15-yr-old. Your dog, younger and with the one leg to deal with, might have a greater chance of success. I'm interested in following your decision and progress and wish you both well. 

jrod...thanks for your  post. I am observing everything Charley does and have set a goal to make up my mind this weekend. I am learning toward the SitCo medium chair which would allow Charley to squat and lie down. Check out the YT videos if you have time. I will let you know this weekend what I decide and promise to keep you posted. Thanks for your support and interest.

4 hours ago, Skye72 said:

I have one, it was for my border collie that had the same degenerative disease.  I am in Vancouver, Canada tho. If you want to arrange shipping etc... i can send it to you.  My email is flydogs@telus.net

Lobos left us Wednesday morning. Thanks to everyone for your kind answers. Charley meant a lot to her and she was hopeful she could find a way to help Charley. Lobos was greatly loved by those who knew her for her kind and gentle ways and we miss her.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:37 PM, lobos said:

We had two  daschunds in carts , made for them in the States . One got better but the other one didn't  but He did great ! - soon as he got in it !. We had him for 17 years and He could even back up and turn around in it ! They soon adapt . Let me know if you want more info .

Archived