Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris changes baggage allowance

bdlngton

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

I got an email saying to keep their prices low, they are now charging for a checked bag.  How does that keep the prices low?

To understand that one must know "airline speak"!  It is very similar to 'campaign speak'.

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

I got an email saying to keep their prices low, they are now charging for a checked bag.  How does that keep the prices low?

Exactly.  This is an illusion.  Also, their website is terrible and each time I go to use it I have problems and you can't get anyone to help with the web site problems.  Whenever I have called about this, they tell me they will handle the reservation over the phone and charge me for that.

OK so here's the solution.  When you travel, put on all the clothing you need for the entire trip and put your toiletries in the carry one.  Use a lot of deodorant because you're going to sweat and if you stink they'll probably want to charge you for that too. :)

Ain't flying wonderful these days?

The problem with everyone now charging for checked luggage, everyone is dodging the bullet by only taking a carry on but they are getting bigger and bigger, so there is not enough over head bin space for everyone.  they don't enforce the size limit for a carry on and until they do, it will be a problem with the carry on's.  Too big and not enough space.

Actually, I was wondering when Volaris would get around to charging for checked luggage (to NOB). Not checking a box, did NOT allow a regular size carry-on. They didn't see  the reason why not checking a bag should allow for an extra normal size carry-on any more than they don't see why they should stop charging Permanent Residents of Mexico for a visa on their return flight unless you try to do so at their telephone booking which is between $50 and a $100 more than their on-line prices.

Next time, I think I'll walk.

For what it's worth, on Volaris' site if you check the -- it's either 'Mexican citizen' or 'Mexican passport' option, I forget how it's worded -- they do not charge the tourist visa fee. I am only a resident, not a citizen, but I was prepared to argue my point if challenged. Never have been challenged, and I've been doing this for more than two years.

3 hours ago, lobita said:

For what it's worth, on Volaris' site if you check the -- it's either 'Mexican citizen' or 'Mexican passport' option, I forget how it's worded -- they do not charge the tourist visa fee. I am only a resident, not a citizen, but I was prepared to argue my point if challenged. Never have been challenged, and I've been doing this for more than two years.

Yes. I do that as well.  It's the only option to get overcharged.  If you are making your reservation by phone, they will charge the extra tax as they don't know the law.  They told me anyone not born in Mexico must pay the tax===total garbage!

• 3 weeks later...

Alaska Airlines still allows first checked bag free to Guadalajara, second checked bag for $25 U.S., and roll-aboard carry-on for no extra charge.  On the Alaska Airlines website it explains how residents of Mexico can apply for refund when checking in at U.S. airport.  I asked about that three weeks ago flying San Jose CA to GDL but ticket agent had to ask supervisor how to do it.  I filled out a generic form requesting refund but am doubtful I'll get it as they asked for no proof of residency even though I wrote"permanent resident of Mexico" on the form.  I'll follow up in the near future with a phone call.

volaris will cancel a flight that you have already booked and paid for and is confirmed. it has happened to 2 people i know, the last one was a friend arriving on saturday the 15th of april from austin. they canceled that flight and had not notified him of the change, so he is driving to san antonio to fly 1 way on the 16th of april. the return flight to austin on the 24th has not changed or been cancelled yet!!!

the only way he knew about it was a friend tried to book that flight on the 15 of april from austin and found out it was not on the schedule anymore. be flexible. 

Flying in Indonesia some years back required being very flexible. It was called Rubber Time. Flights could leave hours early or late depending on when a full load of people showed up.

If Southwest flew to GDL that would be great, but ... Puerto Vallarta isn't a reasonable departure point for me.

Volaris' fee for one checked bag is US$15 each way. They are still extremely competitive. Last week I booked a nonstop GDL-JFK (New York City) for $206.29 round trip including one checked bag. Can't beat that.

• 3 weeks later...

Really?  Only $15 for a checked bag?

Some gringos down here charged me $60 USD to bring back a suitcase from the US!

Oh, I feel so USED...

:lol:

Well, if THEY checked/wanted to check a bag also the charge for another one is NOT $15 but much higher.

And, of course, there is the service charge that the gringos might have charged you for 'inconvenience to them'. Toting someone else's luggage through airports can be overwhelming. -_-

Archived