Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris Airlines New Baggage Policy

RickS

I just got a notice from Volaris that, beginning for flights purchased after March 1, all International flights will be charged for the first and subsequent CHECKED baggage. 2 small cabin bags still allowed free (but watch their size limitations). Domestic flights still have 1 free checked bag.

Volaris's pitch:  This new Baggage Policy gives you the option to choose if you wish to fly with a checked bag or not, so you can get the best fares to travel more.

21 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

This is how they raise fares while pretending not to.  AeroMexico just did the same thing.  One lousy bag is going to cost $40 total return.  For short flights, that represents a hefty price hike.

The E-Mail I got from Volaris about the new international  checked luggage charge was explained as "sreamlining". They say the fare will be lower because if you do not need to have checked luggage and only have 2 carryons [they don´t mentión they are undersized carryons they allow for free] you will save money from previous fares that included 1 checked and 2 carryons.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, Mostlylost said:

Just flew to Houston and back on United. 1 checked bag 22 kilos, 1 carry on bag, 1 personal (computer) No extra charge for baggage.

Just saw they only charge if you buy a 'basic" seat, so they are trying to generate more butts in seats and if you bring carry on, they negate the discount with a fee.

1 hour ago, El Cartero said:

Does volaris have a priority seating program which includes a couple of bags below, priority board and larger up front seats; or, just a one price cattle call board?

Volaris does have a priority seating arrangement. But in the airports I have flown from with them they might as well not have it. If you are in a wheel chair, or have small kids, you'll get on ahead of others. But my experience with their line up arrangements, you might as well not have a system. I f all I have is a back pack going under the seat, I just wait out the pandemonium. If I have an overhead item, I try to get on as I'm assigned as I don't want the overheads to be full. And yes, checked bags and two in cabin pieces are permitted. On under seat, one overhead. And you can buy seating with more leg room.

Another Volaris 'trick'.....  sometimes days after you have purchased a ticket and a seat (I always do that since I want to have an aisle seat) Volaris will send you an email to "see if you want to stretch out by purchasing the seat next to you for, say, another $25". They probably only do this approaching the flight date when they suspect that they will not fill up the plane.

Only problem is..... it is NOT the seat up front next to where you have already purchased, but one 'somewhere in the plane, to be divulged later'... which probably means back in row 250, middle seat and window!  NO THANKS!

23 hours ago, zerbit said:

Just saw they only charge if you buy a 'basic" seat, so they are trying to generate more butts in seats and if you bring carry on, they negate the discount with a fee.

Bought the cheapest ticket "basic". No extra charge of any kind for the bags or selection of available seats in the "basic" class

Archived