Chapala.com Webboard

International Driving Permit

ladner

There is no such thing as an international drivers license although I have heard referal to the permit as being a notorized translation of your driver's license in the language of the country in which you intend to drive.    I've driven in Ireland, a rental, and used only a California Drivers License.

It is actually and International drivers license. Can't get one here. We were told we needed on for Italy last year. After checking into it and calling the rental agent in Perugia, Italy who told me it is required but they don't ask to see it. Used our Washington State license. When doing the research I found out that I would have had to get it in the U.S. 

Be aware of the fact that it is not actually a license; just a translation & confirmation of your current license from your home jurisdiction. It cannot be used in the country where you obtain it.  I have some 35 countries under my belt, and have never had one and have never been asked for one.

6 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

you really dont need this. as long as your american/canadian/mexican licence is valid you are fine.

You need what the rental company want.  If the rental requirements say you need one why not comply..  All you need is the person behind the rental desk to be having a bad day and refuse you a rental car...   I had one many many years ago so long ago I don't even recall the cost, if there was even a cost for it.  

30 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

You need what the rental company want.  If the rental requirements say you need one why not comply..  All you need is the person behind the rental desk to be having a bad day and refuse you a rental car...   I had one many many years ago so long ago I don't even recall the cost, if there was even a cost for it.  

Totally not needed. There is an international agreement stretching back decades. Unless your licence is from japan china saudi etc .then you will need one

You will not have problem ! dont waste your money.

I researched this last year as I wanted to rent a car in Italy.   The rental company might rent you a car without the IDP however the Italian Gov't requires that you have it.  If you are stopped or in an accident you will have to show it.  Your car insurance will not pay if you do not have it.   As I hold a Mexican Drivers License I would have to get my IDP in Mexico City.  The cost is ridiculous  as you have to courier your papers to & from plus the cost of the IDP worked out to well over $100.00 US

I agree that some countries, Italy for sure, requires it to drive a rental or even someone else's car while there.   A policeman might require it if you are stopped for an infraction of any kind.  We got them when we went to Italy through the CAA (Canadian Automobile Association.)    

If you have enough time, I found this at AAA website.  https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

FYI...we have obtained them in the past for Euro travel and did not have to be AAA members to obtain them (we obtained them in the US at a local AA office).  

I'd recommend calling AAA before starting this process; as we all know, many websites contain outdated info.  

If you are not able to visit your nearest AAA branch office, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply enclose the following and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options):

You will need to provide:

• Your completed IDP application form
  • Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
  • $20USD permit fee
  • A photocopy of both sides of your driver's license
  • If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service. See USPS.comFedex.com or UPS.com for rates.

* International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six (6) months in advance of desired effective date.
**Contact the AAA branch office directly to verify IDP Services is available.

ALREADY OVERSEAS?

If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address:

AAA/IDP
1000 AAA Drive
Heathrow, FL 32746 

Attn: Mail Stop #28

Please allow 4-6 weeks for return mail unless additional postage for express mail service is included with the application.

Due to the recent change in U.S. Customs law impacting USPS Express International mail, FedEx* will be used to most countries. Go to FedEx.com for additional charges.

*APO and PO Boxes are not accepted by FedEx. Therefore, please provide a street address for delivery, and expect delivery up to 10 business days after IDP is processed.

Funds must be in U.S. dollars. For this option acceptable forms of payment are U.S. bank check or money order payable to AAA and these major credit cards with expiration date- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card. Applicants name and mailing address must be printed on the check.

(If credit card option is chosen, please include number, expiration date, and note authorizing AAA to charge $20, and if requesting expedited mail service [FedEx] authorization for the additional charges.)

Archived