Chapala.com Webboard

Motor Cycle Madness

We witnessed a motorcycle accident today and the rider was sent flying to the cobblestones.  Ambulances and the police arrived after some very caring people attended the injured young man.  I won't make any specific observations of this particular accident but I must say that those who ride those things make some very frightening decisions in order to "beat the clock".  I am not sure that many of these riders know the rules of the road in order to not have some unsuspecting driver ram into them as they appear from what seems like "nowhere".  Many certainly do not follow the rules of the road and this is terrible for those who do and are not expecting someone to be where they are not supposed to be.  

There must be a way for two wheeled riders to be compelled to take some lessons and to know they will be facing serious fines for not adhering to the rules of the road.  Most often it is the rider who pays the price in these collisions, but those who are part of these accidents all suffer one way or another, and innocent pedestrians are harmed.

I hope today's young man is able to recover, his motorcycle will not. And those who inadvertently ran into him have that memory to run around in their heads.  Fortunately the two young boys and their mom nearby had not yet entered their path.  Scary stuff.

Was he wearing helmet?

Most "amateur" motorcycle riders (scooters and such) in these towns don't use any protection, dont have any license nor registration , not even insurance, they drive like they are inmortals or made out of plastic, run red lights in Soriana, and take over through the right lane or just drive by very fast and close to the parked cars, be careful when getting off your cars or crossing streets because they appear from nowhere.

They are young people who think they are immortal, and soon they may find themselves disabled for life, or dead, with grieving relatives. Saw a guy doing a wheelie in front of Soriana today WAY off the ground, speeding big time for quite a distance north, as there were no other cars in front of him. A terrific thrill, no doubt, but I hope he is careful in future.

One my big concerns is the moto passing on the right if you think about it the transito should be stopping and ticketing this behavior  and that practice would stop quick I know if you make a right hand turn and some kid is passing on your right and bang ,you as a gringo will most likely get the ticket, deep pockets, so I put the blame on the cops for just ignoring the practice and some day someone will be killed, I have vented way too much,sorry

3 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

One my big concerns is the moto passing on the right if you think about it the transito should be stopping and ticketing this behavior  and that practice would stop quick I know if you make a right hand turn and some kid is passing on your right and bang ,you as a gringo will most likely get the ticket, deep pockets, so I put the blame on the cops for just ignoring the practice and some day someone will be killed, I have vented way too much,sorry

Phil, You are on point and right on. I have done more then a few OMGs, HOLLY SH!!, did you see that and quick jerks of the steering wheel especially on the right side where two wheelers were zigging and zagging around cars. NOT are friends on Harley types, but on the smaller type sold at Walmarts and Soriana's that are used a lot by local restaurants and carry out food places for home delivery. Stay alert at all times and try to not swear so much PLEASE. I hear you some times.     

Motorcyles, in Jalisco, are by law required to "drive on the extreme right" or were when I took my test about 9 years ago.   From an "el norte" perspective it's pretty dumb but it is/was the requirement.   Cant remember what it said about passing but doubt that it was legal.

I used to have a good auto mechanic in Vancouver. He used to ride a crapped out old Honda 350 to work. He said the muffler rotted out, and he didn't want to replace it - he was amazed to discover that with no exhaust, automobile drivers were actually much more respectful and less dangerous. Mind you, I hope these local bikes don't start removing their exhaust baffles - safer, but more noise, more smoke.

1 hour ago, El Cartero said:

Motorcyles, in Jalisco, are by law required to "drive on the extreme right" or were when I took my test about 9 years ago.   From an "el norte" perspective it's pretty dumb but it is/was the requirement.   Cant remember what it said about passing but doubt that it was legal.

It's not only dumb, it is unsafe.  You want the guy in front of you to see you clearly in his left hand mirror because that's the one people look in by far the most.  Motorcycle trainers teach not to ride in the blind spot which is on the right hand side of the lane.

I don't see any riders of motorcycles, not scooters, doing this and I don't think they stop people for it.

Scooters are hard enough to see as it is without them not positioning to be seen by the driver in front.  But a lot of them seem to do this which makes it even harder to avoid them.

I agree it is sheer madness the way most motorcycles travel here....and no one wants that terrifying possibility of being involved in an incident to be forever in their head/mind!   And at nights???  100x worse...often with no lights...bicycles too...or any reflective devices!!     

Why would we expect folks to wear helmets and such when the local police on motos half the time don't wear them?  Its a real bad example.  But why shouldn't you have to wear a helmet when riding a pedal bike?  Wacking ones head on the curb or road at 5mph is very dangerous.  Yes Motos are faster but lets face it just walking is dangerous here at times.

Z

On 2/18/2017 at 4:11 PM, El Cartero said:

Under Article 164 added in 2010 for Jalisco Motorcycles are required to occupy their own space in their own lane. Do any do this? Are they ignorant of the law or just know that won't get a citation even if they cause an accident? In other words you are not required to share your lane with them and they can't legally pull up beside you in your lane. If they followed the law it would really lower casualty rates.

Archived