Chapala.com Webboard

mardi gras

Stymie

23 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

Today's issue of the Guadalajara Reporter has all that information.  That edition is not yet on line, but the print edition is already at the sales points.

Even though the opening page of the Reporter is showing last week's paper, the online virtual edition is the current week's edition.  The schedule is on page 11.

The cool thing here is that Chapala has its main parade on the Sunday before Carnaval (what it is called in Spanish speaking countries) and Ajijic has its marvelously wacky and wild parade on the actual Tuesday so you can go to both!  Every year the Carnaval celebrations are a little bigger - this year there is a tribute to Mike Laure (you can read about it in the GR) and newer bigger eventos at night in Ajijic on the malecon.  The first few years I was here, there was nothing planned in Ajijic at night, but that has changed.  Also lots of banda concerts in both locations.

Ajijic also has pre-carnaval eventos at the Lienzo on Sundays around noon for a short while, totally free admission.  I have never seen one gringo there, but that is the wildest event in both places, where the parade ends up with all the kids including the Big Kids, zayac@s,and charros are in the ring at the same time with the banda playing.  Here are a couple of very short video clips of that evento a few years ago.

In this first clip you have to look very fast at the beginning.  A young steer was chasing a kid right towards me as I happened to have the camera ready to shoot; the kid practically jumped over my head to escape and I actually had to duck.  I was the only female in that area of the lienzo!

here is some serious flour throwing action:  Those Zayacos are Real Men!  They mend their dresses with duck tape!  jaja!

Archived