Chapala.com Webboard

Residente temporal bringing van after living here 8 months

Mopsy

I moved here in June with my wheelchair-bound husband. We had to fly, there was no way to make the trip from the east coast with him. We were hoping to find a taxi/chauffeur service that had a handicapped accessible van (he cannot be moved out of his chair, has to be with a ramp or lift). We have not yet been able to find any such service, so I must go and bring our van down so that he can leave the house.

Question 1: I would love not to have to bring the van. A service we could  hire the  few times a month we might need it would be preferable (we do not go out to eat, socialize, etc. Just to see "other wallpaper" as he calls it.). If anyone knows of anything of the sort available in the area (we live in Ajijic) please let me know. 

Plans are to bring the van down in late March. Which brings me to the next question:

2- Can I apply online for the permit to bring the van over the border, or is that only for tourists? would be nice to have the paperwork already done, even if I have to do something else here.

thanks for any help with this

The answer to your question depends on your immigration status. If you are on an FMM (tourist card), your vehicle must accompany you when you leave Mexico at any time. If you are a residente temporal, you can bring your car for the length of your valid visa but you need to request an extension after Year 1 if you re-up for one or more years, and the vehicle must be removed from Mexico when your temporal stay is over. As a residente permanente, you cannot temporarily import a foreign-plated vehicle. 

Oh sorry. I forgot to say that we are residente temporal.

My main question is whether we can do the paper work online and already have the sticker to cross the border or will I have to do the paper work at the border.

Yes can be done online and we can help you.  New online system is tricky and asks you to upload images but then has low image size limits so you have to be crafty with a scanner or resizing files or you wont get your permit accepted. 

Thanks Spencer, I will be in touch soon. Just call and make appointment?? Or maybe we can PM and you can tell me what documents/scans I need to have with me.

Archived