Chapala.com Webboard

No more trading TelMex modems

ComputerGuy

So I was told today at the Ajijic TelMex office. Have not tried to verify this yet by calling Mexico City. The line is that the new "rule" started Jan 1 this year: you call Mexico City support, they run texts, they decide if you need a new modem, they give you a report number, you take it to Ajijic, they give you a modem. An absolutely brain-damaged method of inventory and cost control.

Thanks for the information. Your posts are full of good information. Oh, I am still using an old Thomson Modem, I got maybe 6 or more years ago and it's till working great. How do I know?  Because I enter my modem by going to 192.168.1.254 and determine the speed settings given to me by Telmex and as long as I get about 85% thereof I am happy.

These days because I am only paying $389 pesos per month

I'm only getting 6059149507.png

When I paid $599 per month I only got maybe 10.2 down by 0.75 up

Yes the ratio between download and upload speed is greater now on the $389 package than the more expensive package where the upload speed was increased more than the download speed

I got a new Qualcom moden at Temex simply by bringing my old one in and saying it doesn´t work now in Nov. The only difference is my tablet gets a much stonger signal in my bedroom. They had me sign a form and I asked if I could have the hookup stuff from the old one and she said OK. They had a special table setup for this and a stack of módems in boxes on the floor about 6 feet high by 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep.

Last week in Chapala Haciendas and Las Brisas, we were told told to bring our modems to the frac office and exchange for a new one. Tel-Mex was there complete with a display of products to sell.  It was kind of funny to see a bunch of electronic equipment set up for sale outside the frac office, but they did it. The exchange was less than two minutes.  There are rumors swirling around that we'll be getting fiber optic internet in two weeks.  Yeah, manaña.  

1 hour ago, lumieretoo said:

Last week the WIFI quit on my Telmex modem. Took it into the Office and they gave me a new one.

It is widely understood that the employees who deal with the public at the Ajijic TelMex office will use any excuse, at any time, to deflect or defer us from making them do any actual work. Thus, I qualified my original post by mentioning that I will be calling Mexico City when I get a chance to validate or negate what I was told.

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It is widely understood that the employees who deal with the public at the Ajijic TelMex office will use any excuse, at any time, to deflect or defer us from making them do any actual work. Thus, I qualified my original post by mentioning that I will be calling Mexico City when I get a chance to validate or negate what I was told.

Wow, that was wildly unfair. I've never had a problem when I've gone into the office. They've always been helpful and give me an explanation when there's a glitch. They're only allowed to do what "corporate" allows them to do. While I have some major issues with the crap internet speed we get, I don't hold the local folks accountable for something out of their control.

I've had experiences like Computer Guy describes and just the opposite.....I think it depends on the attitude of the office in general.  It seems that no one wants to offer more info than what you are inquiring about....they will answer questions but offer nothing more....In general......

6 minutes ago, Willie said:

I've had experiences like Computer Guy describes and just the opposite.....I think it depends on the attitude of the office in general.  It seems that no one wants to offer more info than what you are inquiring about....they will answer questions but offer nothing more....In general......

Answering your question is a good thing is it not? Why would you expect more,that makes no sense-in general.

Ditto here.  Never had a problem dealing with the office here and when I compare my service/price to what my brother gets in Phoenix it looks like a good deal to me.  It has gotten steadily faster and more reliable since we moved here.  And TelMex pay as you go cell phones are a screaming bargain IMO.

I've had to change modems once in 9 years.  Not bad.

29 minutes ago, Willie said:

Ned...sometimes there are details that one needs to know, since most of us are technologically challenged....such as- you must do this AND then do this.....

You said they will answer your questions and nothing more.  Wouldn't that be one of your questions, and therefore they would answer it?

3 weeks ago I swapped mine out at the Telmex office in Ajijic.  I had made a report but they werent fixing anything and that did it. 

7 hours ago, Tingting said:

Wow, that was wildly unfair. I've never had a problem when I've gone into the office. They've always been helpful and give me an explanation when there's a glitch. They're only allowed to do what "corporate" allows them to do. While I have some major issues with the crap internet speed we get, I don't hold the local folks accountable for something out of their control.

When you have been to that office the number of times I have over the many years, you begin to see a pattern. This is brought on by their near-government-job status, and the fact that they will all have super pensions as long as they can stick it out. I have personally witnessed them abusing their "powers" on any number of occasions, always with a smile on their faces. Even getting to know them quite well over the last 20 years has not always helped. They have gotten up from their desk, ostensibly to do something, and come back 15 minutes (!) later smelling of smoke, or rolling down their sleeves, or with no replacement item. They have spent ages inputting forms to Mexico City, reports that mysteriously never arrived. They have lied about stock for modems, about installations, about swapping policies, sending linesmen, and in particular the reasons behind your slow Internet speeds.

I'm happy that you have been treated well, but I'm also willing to bet you don't have to face them on a weekly basis, and that your problems were probably a little less convoluted tha the ones I deal with. I certainly do not hold them responsible for corporate or for lousy speed, but I most definitely hold them responsible for how they deal with it. And for anyone to suggest that I do, based on what I posted, is just poor rhetoric.

Here we have another example: bald-face being told no more exchanges since Jan 1, being followed by posters who tell us they had no problem doing just that since then. Knowing I am a técnico, he also told me "tell everyone!"

Archived