Chapala.com Webboard

Doctor to treat possible Gout?

sunshine59

I have been cursed with gout, but allopurinol keeps it at bay:

Allopurinol: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects - Drugs.com

https://www.drugs.com › Drugs A to Z

Allopurinol is used to treat gout or kidney stones, and to decrease levels of uric acid in certain cancer patients. Learn about side effects, interactions and ...

1 hour ago, sunshine59 said:

Any recommendations?

I have been cursed with the painful affliction of gout. Dr. Karen Gonzalez gave me an injection for immediate relief and prescribed 300 mg. per day of Zyloprim (allopurinol) for 30 days.

The acid level was then retested at which point she lowered the dosage to 100 mg. I will have the acid level retested at the end of another 30 days. 

A general practitioner should be able to treat gout unless there are other complications. 

The important factor is treatment not only will medication but also change of lifestyle and diet.

Pharmacy Guadalajara sells 30ct 300mg Allopurinol for about $23p. I also take a Tart Cherry supplement, 425mg, Solaray brand that I buy on Amazon US for about $11 for 90 caps. 

Gout is all about uric acid. You need to have an alkaline system and uric acid crystals cant grow. You can get PH strips at the drugstore and check your ph in a few minutes. Normal is about 7.

7.4 is optimal. Very easy to do.

In the meantime take about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and mix with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. When the fizzing stops add 8 ounces of water and drink. I would do it twice a day. I had a gout attack 5 years ago. My Ph was highly acidic. I have been taking this concoction ever since. No flare-ups and my PH is perfect.

5 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Gout is all about uric acid. You need to have an alkaline system and uric acid crystals cant grow. You can get PH strips at the drugstore and check your ph in a few minutes. Normal is about 7.

7.4 is optimal. 

Which pharmacy do you buy your strips from and what term do you use, in Spanish, to ask for them?

18 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

Any recommendations?

I thought i had gout my big toe joint was so painful. Turns out i had been walking too strenuously and over used some muscles in my leg. the trigger points are along and behind the shinbone on the outside of the leg about 1/3 way up the leg. you'll know when you've found them cuz they'll be tender. see if you get any relief...

Funny that nobody mentioned the potential causes of a gout flare up.  My family are long time gout sufferers and we all treat it differently.  Here's the scoop.  Some causes of gout attacks are: any type of shellfish, with emphasis on shrimp and lobster.  Also, meats that are high in protein, such as beef liver or duck liver (froi gras) spelling? But, the #1 cause is beer.  Yes beer. My doctor told me not to drink anymore beer for the rest of my days and I may be able to eat the occasional shrimp(s) or lobster.  But, don't combine the two.  My brother takes 300mg of Allopurinol a day and drinks and eats whatever he wants, with plenty of beer.  But what is that much Allopurinol doing to his system?  My father drinks some beer but avoids the shellfish.  In case of an actual flare up, the drug to take is Colchicina. Within a couple of hours the symptoms start fading away.  By the next day you should be feeling much better.  Also, the above posts regarding lowering ph and taking cherries are point on.  The key is to try and prevent the gout attack in the first place. 

EX-PAT2011 none of the above apply to me. I do however have Multiple sclerosis and I drink coffee to give me energy, two cups in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I was wondering if this could be the problem just haven't googled it yet. But I think my first step will be to take Michael2595's advice and get some strips and check my acid.  I had already started the Apple cider vinegar last night.  I'm not big on meds at all been off of everything for a couple of years and doing great so if this works it will save me a trip to the doctor.  If not I will contact the Dr who was referred above.  Thanks all for the help your a great group :) 

On 2/17/2017 at 6:55 AM, FlyFree said:

Which pharmacy do you buy your strips from and what term do you use, in Spanish, to ask for them?

I am moving to the area  so I do not know that pharmacy to buy them from. YOu have a Walmart there. They carry in the state smany types. Here is one that is off their web site.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/pH-Test-Strips-150ct-BONUS-Alkaline-Food-chart-PDF-21-Alkaline-Diet-Recipes-eBook-For-pH-Balance-Quick-and-Accurate/131534576

Archived