Chapala.com Webboard

Golf Carts

dboisclair

OK, I'm going out on a limb here but there was another thread about respect and I just want to pass on an observation.

Before I do though, yes I'm a Canadian, no, I don't hate Americans (some of my closest friends and some of my family are American), yes I love Mexico and all things Mexican and I tend to look through rose-coloured glasses at some of the problems and yes, the recent US election is absolutely none of my business.  But if we're going to discuss the issue of respect how about this; just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should do it.

Yesterday, as I was waiting to turn left on the Caraterra, traffic was held up because of a golf cart trying to cross to the other side. In and of itself it wouldn't be an issue, although I have no idea of the actual legality of driving an unlicensed vehicle on the road but again, none of my business. No, what really frosted my cookies was the fact that they were driving down the bike path. And worse, several locals on bikes and a family with children all had to move out of the way because the cart took up the width of the entire path. And because of the cement barrier I have to assume they'd been driving on this path for at least a block, if not probably longer so who knows how many other people they inconvenienced.  

Here's the thing; I doubt very much that the the people that had to jump out of the way knew or cared if the drivers were Canadian or American, Liberal, Conservative, Democrat or Republican, or snowbirds, tourists or permanent residents. What I am sure about though, is it was one more reason to give the local populace a reason to be disgruntled. More fuel to stoke the backlash fire. That smile you thought you saw wasn't a smile it was a grimace. And please, you don't need to remind me that locals kids on quads and motorcycles ride illegally on the bike path all the time. I get it; they do. But if I recall my mum taught me this one a long time ago - something about following Billy off a bridge. 

So please, if you're driving one of these carts and you're afraid to drive on the road because it's too slow or too scary, it may be a sign that you shouldn't be in it in the first place.

Just because no one stops you isn't an excuse for boorish behaviour so please, show a little respect. 

Cheers!

Although it is sad that you had to write so much in the beginning because of some of truly negative things posted by many, I found it very entertaining and I appreciated your efforts. In fact I would never have attempted to answer this problem had you not written such a beautiful introduction.

I have seen some of those golf carts and as long as they drive on the side streets they do not seem to be a problem. But they sure would be if they were driving in a narrow bike lane where there is not enough room for the bike users and the golf cart.

I also notice that some are licensed but most do not seem to be. And also most of those I have seen driving around are being driven by older senior citizens.

Me, I would be afraid to drive one. I feel a lot safer in a car.  It will be interesting to see where this conversation goes.

I don't have a problem with golf carts trundling down the cyclopista as long as they slow down to a stop when approaching walkers.   Rather there than on the road.  Cyclists are a disrespectful lot in and of themselves.   As are walkers who insist, like the cyclists, of walking 6 abreast.    I also don't make an assumption as to why anyone of them do it.  If they inconvenienced me I'd wack 'em with my cane.

I have no idea why the OP thought it was needed to mention politics or even nationality at all here instead of just noting that this was boorish and dangerous behavior.

There's plenty of that to go around on the local roads as you will find out after you've been here.  it bears little relationship to age, sex, nationality, or hair color.  We see a lot of the same kind of kamikaze driving from the four wheeler crowd.

And it was breaking the law to drive it in the bike lane.  Sometimes I wonder if some of the senior citizens who drive these things are confused and think they are in Leisure World or someplace like that.

After living here 9 years, I've seen almost everything on the roads.  The theory seems to be "Live and let live.  Don't hit anything or let anyone hit you".  Beyond that everything seems to be legal as long as a cop is not around.

Signs and traffic lights are just "suggestions".

Dogs, cats, kids, pedestrians, horses and cows have the right away at all times.

You learn to drive defensively and ignore all the violations, otherwise you will go crazy.

I own two but, I use them between my two nursing homes. I have improved efficiency moving stuff between the two homes. My employees use the bike paths. Never had a complaint. I am American/Mexican Conservative and a member of live and let live tribe. I am so glad the Golf carts and being used more. Many people use to walk and fall. some do not recover well. I know! Former Customers. Also more people are able to get out more and enjoy this wonderful place we live.  Well said jrm30655.      

12 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

After living here 9 years, I've seen almost everything on the roads.  The theory seems to be "Live and let live.  Don't hit anything or let anyone hit you".  Beyond that everything seems to be legal as long as a cop is not around.

Signs and traffic lights are just "suggestions".

Dogs, cats, kids, pedestrians, horses and cows have the right away at all times.

You learn to drive defensively and ignore all the violations, otherwise you will go crazy.

Exactly right and look at how few accidents you see.  If you try and avoid driving during the hours when the "barrachos" frequent the roads, you'll find most of the folks are pretty skilled at getting around and most are pretty good at playing defense.

Passing on the right happens a lot here so get used to really watching that right hand side mirror.

American drivers are so overprotected and harassed by the cops they don't seem to know how to deal with all sorts of vehicles going in all sorts of directions.

Archived