Chapala.com Webboard

New Scam

HarryB

Distant "relatives" call saying that they are attending a wedding in PV and are on the way to visit. The caller alleges to be my favorite nephew and then puts on someone whose voice I should recognize. I don't!But give a name which the callers then assume. Later they call saying they had an accident and the other driver won't call the police if I will go to OXXO and deposit his deductible into his bank account. The nephew promises to pay me in the morning. 

Watch out for another one. Someone calls and you don't recognize their voice. "Can you hear me?" Don't say yes as they now have your voice to play with any of your accounts that they may have compromised.

31 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Distant "relatives" call saying that they are attending a wedding in PV and are on the way to visit. The caller alleges to be my favorite nephew and then puts on someone whose voice I should recognize. I don't!But give a name which the callers then assume. Later they call saying they had an accident and the other driver won't call the police if I will go to OXXO and deposit his deductible into his bank account. The nephew promises to pay me in the morning. 

If you have spare time, the thing to do is to just string him along.  If you work it right, you can run him all over town for a few hours before you tell him that you have dropped the money off at the police station and he can go to the police station and pick it up.

When you are retired, you have time to screw with people like that.......

I nearly was a victim of this type of scam several years ago in Minnesota.    The caller was very convincing and had several bits of information that would not have been known by a stranger, rea insider stuff.   Our office was next to the bank and I was inside of the bank when I realized something didn't seem right.    I called the state police and learned it was a ruse.   

A warning again - be very careful with information you share on the internet or social networking. Even overheard conversations can be used. Of course you can just lie about everything, so when it comes back at you, you know where the leak was. For example, if some one phones me and reminds me that back in Canada I was a professional race car driver and part time male model - I know the leak came from this board!

23 hours ago, HarryB said:

I had that one about a month ago. I'm still waiting for them to phone about their accident.

Archived