Chapala.com Webboard

Quietest Developments?

David77

We're planning to move to the Lakeside area and I have a question about dogs. We love dogs! (have our own). But not the sound of barking dogs (constant). Are there any areas, developments, where this is not a factor? Where you can sit out on your patio and enjoy the peaceful view, without a chorus of dogs?

It is not the number of houses with dogs - it is that the dogs have not been trained as to when it is appropriate to bark. Many people are surprised that you can do this. These are the houses everybody ignores if a dog is constantly barking at nothing at all. If you own dogs, you will have a tough time finding a place with no dogs - unless the frac/condo committee does not allow dogs or cats -but then you can't live there. Likewise dogs off leash - that trust has to be earned, and the dog must be under control at all times.

So the problem is not dogs - it is people.

Then there are the dog/cat hoarders, some people in our community have 5, 10, 20 dogs. One house has 50 cats. This is not "rescuing", this is mental illness and animal cruelty.

I agree with Chillin. At our house, we have a 3 -4 bark rule. Our dog barks at horses or foot traffic in the street on the other side of our property wall. We call him away after 3 - 4 barks. I think it is good to alert anyone on the outside that there is a big dog waiting for them on the inside if they decide to enter uninvited. We do not want to annoy our neighbors with endless barking (which would annoy me as well) but he is part of the home security system.

I don`t know any place here without dogs.  Before renting a place you like, hang out inside the house or on the sidewalk and listen for a while.  Do NOT pay any attention to the person renting the place who says there are no barking dogs near the rental.  They will ALWAYS say there are no barking dogs nearby if you ask.

There are dogs in all communities. In the villages around the lake there are no rules as to number of dogs allowed in a home...or number of chickens, etc. The quietist places will most likely be a gated community where there are usually rules as to how many dogs and sometimes even size of dogs. We live in a gat d community where there is a 2 pet limit. Only time you hear dogs barking is if someone is walking past their house. It is a quick few barks until the walker has past. Then quiet. Very quiet after about 7pm when everyone is back in their perspective homes.

What about Vista del Lago and Los Galapagos?  I bet they are some of the quietest fraccs around due to being a little off the beaten path.  There was a thread a few years ago about Los Galapagos having issues with ejido land, and it was suggested they were working on regularizing that problemita, I wonder if its been fixed yet.  If so, it looks like it could turn out to be one of the best kept secrets.... beautiful and small community with some decent sized flat lots located in one of the lushest greenest areas of the lake.

As someone else mentioned, even if you find a place, it can change if someone moves next door and has barking dogs.  We live in Chapala Haciendas and have no houses around our lot, so we never have a problem.  However, we do hear barking dogs in the distance sometimes at night. And we are well aware that someone will buy the lots around us and all bets will be off.  That being said, I also agree with the suggestion that you visit the immediate area near any house you are considering at various times of the day and night and listen to see what you hear.  Sometimes a quiet place during the day can become noisy at night and vice versa.  We also knocked on nearby neighbors doors and asked about the noise level.  

Just a thought. Barking dogs are not the only possible problem. A friend lives in a quiet development when a woman in her 40s bought a small house a few doors away. The woman preferred "younger" friends and brought carloads of teenagers from Guadalajara to party into the wee hours several times a week. It took the neighbors awhile to convince her to move on.

You never know when a "rescuer" - read hoarder - will move nearby with a yard full of poorly cared for barking dogs. Best to invest in a noise machine, some headphones or some good earplugs.

My dogs only bark when a horse or when people walk by.   5 horses a day = 20 barks   10 people walking = 40 barks.. This folks is why we have a problem. If you want people to know you have dog put up a notice.  Not having consideration for your nieghbors ignorant. A barking dog is noise polution.

Like congodog said, there are no guarantees that you won't have someone move close by AFTER you've moved in that have a dog or dogs that bark too much.  We had a situation like that in the last home we rented.  When we first moved in, there was only one dog on our street, and when he did bark, his owners stopped him very quickly.  Well-trained dog!  Within a few months, we suddenly had 10 dogs on our street!  The worst offender was a woman who lived directly beside us with three very yappy Pomeranians.  She would let them bark incessantly, and if she went out, she left them outside in their fenced yard, which was about 20 feet from our patio and bedroom windows!  It became absolutely intolerable!

Archived