Chapala.com Webboard

CHILI COOK OFF

lakeside7

Has the Chili Cook OFF had its day?

Maybe it was because OF the challenge presented to get to the site. Why o why choose such a location.

Then a delay whilst the one person at the entrance table struggled to make change and chatter about the weather.

It must 10 years ago since I last attend and I do not recall having to be a mountain goat to get there, and being 10 years older did not help.

My prime reason to attend was to seek out a vendor selling pewter ware. Luckily he was located on the first isle. Their name, Tao Muesbles & Decoration. Seems their store is next to Soriana where Coppel used to be. Boy I wish I had know that before.

Then strolling along the exhibits, many of them you could see on the Chapala Malacon or the Ajijic Plaza. I just loved the Drink Coffee , Lose Weight exhibit. I guess there no requirement for proof in advertising.

I then went looking for a Chili Cook Off apron. What rubbish, where they made in some sweat shop in China. The edging, sewing, of the top half is faced outward!

Given that the man hours to stage this event must be huge, and paid over heads not cheap, I wonder if say 100 volunteers sold 10 raffle tickets each at 40 pesos = 40,000pesos , plus sell bowls of chili, would be more efficient way for a fund raising.

We enjoyed the cookoff as usual.  I assumed they had a reason to use the back of the park but I'm sure there will be many comments.  The number 8 chili today was not built for gringos but I had to select it for flavor.  I'm sure they won't take the prize because of the heat but sure was good.  Some vendors we've come to expect weren't there but there was no shortage of booths.  Glad we went and hope the local charities benefit big.

It is a great event. I competed for 5 years from 2008-2013. With the new judge panel in addition to peoples choice voting, I may compete next year. Maybe someone will post the winners of the various competitions.

We attended on Sunday to watch the dancing horses, who once they arrived and found their music were very lovely.  Those horses put their little hearts into focussing on what they are doing.  The rest was fun to wander around,this was about the 5th year we have attended  and found that so many things were duplicated.  If I was to critique I would suggest some "new blood"... some kind of big draw for each day that defies refusal to attend!  It was a long walk for those with canes and older legs and lungs, but I cannot think of a better spot. Good parking and lots of space for the different venues.  As usual I wonder why they do not sell more chilli apart from the Chilli dogs.. 

Chili tasting tent was Very chaotic, they should have had hospitality lines to keep it organized and more garbage cans, people were coming in the back way and not paying and getting chili and then asked us where you get the spoons, I told them they had to pay up front where they were suppose to come in, so anyone could have brought their own spoons and not paid.
Also saw the hot dog gringo guy drop his hot dog at the grill he was cooking and eating from on the ground and pop it into his mouth, I guess the 2 second rule applied there.
Too bad we went today and couldn't go tomorrow as I am sure Bob's chili would be better than any we tasted today, my stomach is still burning, even W. who can handle spicy stuff was on fire.
Music was pretty loud Mariachi's anyway and no place to sit if you wanted to eat.
People in the booths that were selling stuff were very organized.

We went on Saturday.

Archived