Chapala.com Webboard

mini solar systems advice

bdmowers

I`m investigating tiny solar solutions for a local person who has no electricity and uses candles for lighting.  Installing electricity for her is not currently an option. I`d like to provide her with small scale solar lighting in her house so she and her children (5) can at least see their way around the house at night without using candles (which almost burned down their house twice). I was thinking of a small panel for the roof with a battery powering a few 12 watt bulbs or solar walkway lighting that could be taken in each evening.  Does anyone have helpful advice about those 2 options or suggestions for something else along those lines?  Does anyone know where to acquire a small 12 watt system or solar walkway lighting?  Thanks.

I am sure someone will come up with something better.

But

I have purchased solar spot lights that you can aim and walkway lights from Wal-Mart and other stores that work most of the night some even in the morning still on. Not as bright but I was amazed they worked all night.

I have seen them in various sizes from 10 pesos and up.

2 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

A small solar panel and a good 12V automobile battery will power a couple of 12V light bulbs for interior lighting.  Add as switch in the circuit and they would have light when they need it.

With that you can now get motion detector 110 volt LED light units that will do that too.

3 minutes ago, snowyela said:

With that you can now get motion detector 110 volt LED light units that will do that too.

That would require added expense for an inverter to provide 110V.  A simple 12V system will provide lighting at minimum cost, using automotive/marine/RV light fixtures, a switch and simple 2-wire circuit that is safe.

I am not sure why but ten years ago when many of us who were putting battery back up solar systems, we used 6 Volt deep cell golf cart batteries. And if you needed 12 volts you would simply place two 6 volt batteries in series.

What ever you build there should be enough batteries so that you don't drain them of all of their power each night. Perhaps someone posting here can talk about battery capacity and battery use to maximize battery life.

For a small 12volt system you will need the panel. Maybe a 80 -100 watt panel. A controller. A deep cycle battery 12 volt ( golf cart or boat) . Battery about 1,700 pesos. Controller and panel maybe 4000 pesos . Look on mercadolibre.com.mx. You can the hook any 12 volt lights to this system, even a 12 volt water pump and small led tv.. Should be more than enough. If you get into inverters and stuff like that it get complicated. There are some packaged systems on the same site.

johanson said, " I am not sure why but....

Pete, the why in that meant that mostly a 6V battery referred to a Golf Cart battery as you suggested. Those things (several of them) were designed, due to need, to last most of a day in a cart and to withstand a deep deep discharge, then recharge overnight without doing the battery irreparable harm. They were/are larger and have more lead/acid to facilitate that design. "Regular" batteries are meant to produce very high short-term (cranking) power but are easily/quickly run down under load and cannot survive multiple deep discharge/recharge cycles.

RV people first picked up on using 2-6V golf cart batteries tied in series to produce 12 volts to facilitate longer 'boon-docking' stays. The original brand was a Trojan and they are still in production and recognized as one of the best.... if not most expensive.

It only made/makes sense that, if one is going to add batteries to a casa solar system, that the use of deep discharge 6V batteries would be the battery of choice to be able to provide current at night and recover during the sunny day.

BD - I have a 13 watt panel you can have. It is pretty old (designed to plug in to your "cigarette lighter" - often an $option$ on today's vehicles, also ashtrays). You know where I live, but I have to find the darn thing. We PM you with my phone number when I find it, probably this afternoon.

edit: Ms Chillin found it, and I found the paperwork. There is a blocking diode to "protect the battery from leaking energy back into the panel at night".

I have built four systems for trucks to keep Vaccine coolers running in remote hot areas.  Everything you need info wise is on the internet.  I suggest solar panel, 12V Solar panel controller, 12V deep cycle battery the more the better and a small inverter to convert the DC to AC to run things like AC charger for cell phone.  12V lights and such can be purchased.  Car stereo runs off 12 V and give you music and such without using inverter..  Another thing to look for is 12V computers so you can charge laptop without inverter.  Like I said its all on the internet. This is very doable and don't forget fuses for safety and don't let anyone tell you that you don't need them you do.  I have a small working system here for emergencies and would be glad to show you. PM me if interested.  

Yes - DC power can kill you. With those curious kids about you might want to build a VENTED battery box, locked with a small padlock. Used to have a Mig Master 24 volt DC welder. A spool gun, powered with a rechargeable electric drill. This was powerful enough to weld 1/4 inch steel plate. It was a low cost, back woods, equivalent of a $3,000 plus MIG spool gun.

http://www.freeenergyplanet.biz/alternative-fuels-2/the-migmaster-dc-welder.html

17 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

I have purchased solar spot lights that you can aim and walkway lights from Wal-Mart and other stores that work most of the night some even in the morning still on. Not as bright but I was amazed they worked all night.

Thanks, Ms. Mysterious, I will check these out.

Thanks, everyone, for your inputs.  Generally, since I will have to fundraise for funds for the lighting, I will need to keep costs prretty low.

17 hours ago, snowyela said:

I have some I brought down from nob. They're terrific. There are much higher capacity batteries you can get to put in them too that can make it through the night - much better than the batteries that come with them.

Snowy, can you tell me the brand of this lighting?  Is it outside walkway kind of lighting?  Thanks so much.

15 hours ago, ambconsultants said:

For a small 12volt system you will need the panel. Maybe a 80 -100 watt panel. A controller. A deep cycle battery 12 volt ( golf cart or boat) . Battery about 1,700 pesos. Controller and panel maybe 4000 pesos . Look on mercadolibre.com.mx. You can the hook any 12 volt lights to this system, even a 12 volt water pump and small led tv.. Should be more than enough. If you get into inverters and stuff like that it get complicated. There are some packaged systems on the same site.

Thanks, amb, this looks like a great solution but the cost is more than this project can afford.  Also, I have to think about whatever is installed may be "lifted" from the site so, at least at first, don`t want to invest a great deal of money (6,000 pesos is a vast sum for this project).

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

BD - I have a 13 watt panel you can have. It is pretty old (designed to plug in to your "cigarette lighter" - often an $option$ on today's vehicles, also ashtrays). You know where I live, but I have to find the darn thing. We PM you with my phone number when I find it, probably this afternoon.

edit: Ms Chillin found it, and I found the paperwork. There is a blocking diode to "protect the battery from leaking energy back into the panel at night".

Thanks, Chillin, generous offer.  I`m new to this technology.  Do you, or anyone else, know how to create a lighting system based on a panel like this?  Would you be willing to impart this knowledge?  I imagine you put the panel on the roof, run wire to the inside, attach 12-volt light(s) to it? Could you run more than 1 light to a panel like this?

17 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

A small solar panel and a good 12V automobile battery will power a couple of 12V light bulbs for interior lighting.  Add as switch in the circuit and they would have light when they need it.

Thanks, Rvgringo, I am new to this kinda stuff.  What size of solar panel would you need to power 2 12V light bulbs?  Could you put the battery inside the house (have to think of it being appropriated by others)?  Is this system just the panel, the battery, wiring and light bulbs?

2 hours ago, lcscats said:

I have built four systems for trucks to keep Vaccine coolers running in remote hot areas.  Everything you need info wise is on the internet.  I suggest solar panel, 12V Solar panel controller, 12V deep cycle battery the more the better and a small inverter to convert the DC to AC to run things like AC charger for cell phone.  12V lights and such can be purchased.  Car stereo runs off 12 V and give you music and such without using inverter..  Another thing to look for is 12V computers so you can charge laptop without inverter.  Like I said its all on the internet. This is very doable and don't forget fuses for safety and don't let anyone tell you that you don't need them you do.  I have a small working system here for emergencies and would be glad to show you. PM me if interested.  

Thanks, lcscats.  Do I need all the things you have listed for powering 2-3 12V light bulbs?  The family has no need for cell phone or laptop powering.

16 hours ago, Azzurro said:

There is a store in Centro Laguna that might help you. I saw there a small solar panel. I think the store's name is  Green Solutions. They are

close to the Scandinavian Bakery.

Thanks, Azzurro, I will check this out.

16 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Thanks, Rvgringo, I am new to this kinda stuff.  What size of solar panel would you need to power 2 12V light bulbs?  Could you put the battery inside the house (have to think of it being appropriated by others)?  Is this system just the panel, the battery, wiring and light bulbs?

Look online for 12V solar battery charger

You will see all sorts of inexpensive options that are available.  You will need a 12VDC rechargeable battery; deep cycle being best, but an automotive battery will do for light usage.  You will connect the light to the battery, with a switch in the circuit.  The battery should be in a well ventilated area, preferably outside, as they produce explosive gasses while charging.  The solar panel will have to be on the roof, facing south, to get the most sun exposure possible. Lights and switches can be found in automotive, marine, or RV shops, or online.  You can even find 12VDC bulbs, and use conventional lamps. Just change the plugs, so they are not used elsewhare.

Perhaps one of the local solar system providers would help you design/install such a small system. Of course, the larger the panel, the more charging capacity you will have.  The need will depend upon the number of lights and the total wattage x the amount of time they will be used.

Archived