Chapala.com Webboard

New hours @ La Mision

You have asked and we have listened. You view our establishment more as a supper club and after listening to you and talking with our staff we have made the decision to change our hours. Commencing this coming week i.e. The second week of February our hours will be as follows: Closed Monday's ,Tuesday thru Saturday the kitchen will remain open from 3:00 to 11:00 PM with the bar remaining open one additional hour. Sunday the kitchen will remain open from 1:00 to 9:00 PM with the bar remaining open one additional hour.

This will provide us the extra time to shop, set up and prep each day. Chef Julian likes to personally choose what comes into his kitchen and so we purchased a mini van for him to be able to do this be it locally or in Guad. This will now allow him more time to do this especially in Guad.

So if you want an early dinner or a late evening, a place to dine or have coffee and dessert after the theatre, dinner after a cocktail party, or just want some conversation over your favorite beverage, we are here to serve you.

Please tell your friends  and we hope to see you soon

37 minutes ago, Hope Wiley said:

Whee are you located?

Our address is Rio Bravo  No. 7. If you know where Sol y Luna is where Bravo Theater puts on its plays we are right across the street from them. If not go west on the carreterra past Casa de Waffle which is on the north side continue on looking at the south side i.e toward the lake past a group of business on the south side like Dental Express and when you come to the first real intersection past Casa de Waffles that is Rio Bravo Turn left i.e. South go down a block and a half can't miss it we are on the west side with large signage and Sol y Luna on the east side . Parking is plentiful. You can also call 108 0887 and we will give you directions from where you are to us.

That is a shame. We are not late eaters and your lunch menu suited us fine. I especially liked your Fish and Chips. Now you are just one place less to have a late lunch out west.

BTW You did not ask me! All these things happen during snowbird season.

20 hours ago, dave0415 said:

That is a shame. We are not late eaters and your lunch menu suited us fine. I especially liked your Fish and Chips. Now you are just one place less to have a late lunch out west.

Thank you Dave for your comment and we have and always will value your patronage. If your willing to come in between 2:30 and 3:00 PM we will be more then happy to serve you any of your favorites from our lunch menu.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, dave0415 said:

I totally agree with dave. I won't be back there. If a place isn't open by 1 at the latest it isn't on my list.

Restaurant attendance at many places lakeside is slim at best, and I see a lot of them struggling to find their "audience". It's really hard to open a place all day and pay for everything with these slim pickens. Take Sunrise for instance: they've changed their hours a few times since I've been here, and I guess found something that won't break them... there is always someone there, but it is not busy enough really to sustain. They have their busy times, which gets them through those long, lonely hours during the week.

Lake Food Container has expanded their hours into the morning, and seem to be doing "okay" for now, because they also attract a lot more than just expats, but who knows how long that will last. MIchael at La Mision is trying to keep a handle on this, and previously in that location dinner hours were their main draw. Maybe it will work for him now, but at the same time I'm willing to bet that losing the lunch bunch was not an easy choice. Perhaps more importantly, a decent restaurant that is open until 11 pm? Almost unheard of around here.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Restaurant attendance at many places lakeside is slim at best, and I see a lot of them struggling to find their "audience". It's really hard to open a place all day and pay for everything with these slim pickens. Take Sunrise for instance: they've changed their hours a few times since I've been here, and I guess found something that won't break them... there is always someone there, but it is not busy enough really to sustain. They have their busy times, which gets them through those long, lonely hours during the week.

Lake Food Container has expanded their hours into the morning, and seem to be doing "okay" for now, because they also attract a lot more than just expats, but who knows how long that will last. MIchael at La Mision is trying to keep a handle on this, and previously in that location dinner hours were their main draw. Maybe it will work for him now, but at the same time I'm willing to bet that losing the lunch bunch was not an easy choice. Perhaps more importantly, a decent restaurant that is open until 11 pm? Almost unheard of around here.

Thanks Mike and all for your comments, they are very important to us as both Esperanza and I never worked or received any formal training to be in the restaurant business. Our education has basically been on the job training. La Mision was started to serve the less fortunate and to that end is the reason it still exists. I have never taken one centavo out of the restaurant or recd. a dime back on the investment made to create La Mision. Our involvement in helping others has also grown and we now partner with another charity "Butterflies In Mexico" who have made it possible for us to do so much more then provide food. We now are able to provide clothing and are training young people to work in restaurants. Butterflies selects the candidates and provides English language training then we under the supervision of our Capitan train them how to be waiters. Our first trainee is now gainfully employed at Delicias in Chapala.

As to the change of our hours in addition to the reason I listed above and being able to provide our chef the time needed to do what he was trained to do, made complete sense to us and even though I personally never had the pleasure of dining at #4 when it was one of the most successful restaurants in Ajijic. Why was it successful  because it was operated by Kim who was raised in the restaurant business in Toronto and still has restaurants there as well as if not the biggest catering facilities then in the very top of the list ie she knows her business. Kim never served lunch and was open sometimes until 1:00 AM and her kitchen operated until midnight. She had some very talented people in her kitchen and the chef who was with her the longest is now with us thanks to her. plus one other former employee. The chef never worked with the people who took over from Kim.

We have made the decision that there is a market for the hours we have now instituted and only time will tell. I hope and pray that we have made the correct decision so we will be able to continue to employ our people and serve even more because of our Mission.

Thank you all again so much for your support and understanding. Please also drop by anytime and give me your thoughts and ideas and the beverage is on me.

Sounds like a fairy tale, so beautiful …. but a tall tale nonetheless.

True, no one can argue that Kim brought unique concept and cuisine Ajijic. For years, most wannabe restaurants have done everything to try and duplicate the recipes, stepping all over each other to hire the staff trained at Number Four and “4”, thinking they would get the Holy Grail of Chefs.

False, not all that glitter is gold: “The people who took over from Kim”, were not there to do so but rather to help Kim turn the business around. Unfortunately, Kim did not disclose Number Four disastrous financial situation. A money pit with a veneer of success: a crippling situation with a mountain of debts accumulated over the years, constantly robbing Paul to pay Peter, not to mention all those people who loaned her money who were left with a bad taste in their mouth.

True, Kim left the same people who came to help her, high and dry: an external audit revealed that the previous years’ books were as cooked as a well-done steak and that the operation had more leaks than a commercial kitchen size colander. It is unfortunate that once all the necessary steps, from replacing the left over crew to markedly improve food and service, were taken to bring “4” back to the equilibrium point, all the previous years of shoddy maintenance and neglect finally took their toll. The massive investment needed to overhaul that old, never profitable location, could not be justified.

False, Kim has no restaurant in Toronto, but she did find her next “money man”, as she fondly calls people who loan her the money to start a business (or bring it back from the edge) for a catering business. There is no question that Kim knows about food, but profitability never seem to be part of the equation. Toronto being so extraordinarily competitive, profitability might remain as elusive as it ever was in Ajijic.

True, Julian worked a few years at Number Four (as an apprentice, an assistant and for a brief time sous-chef). However, it is nearly impossible to believe that Kim would ever recommended him to anyone, including her worse enemy. You see, Kim was already vehemently opposed to ever bring him back to “4”, since, according to her, Julian quit Number Four with no notice, taking other kitchen support staff along with him, leaving the kitchen stranded right before a very busy Saturday night service.

But what really got her incensed (and make her curse him with words that should never be uttered by a lady) is when she learned that he not only took the Chef’s recipes to create a near copy-cat menu at another restaurant (on the west side of town), but that the whole thing had been planned for months.

So you see …

Well, unless of course….

Wow! We start a thread on our new hours and someone with the handle Ianos turns it into a scathing attack on KIm, and not so much on our Chef Julian.

Let me tell you what I know is fact. I met Kim in our restaurant 2 years ago and we shared some things in common, she has always been kind, gracious and supporting to us. Yesterday afternoon I was home and she called me and asked if she could make a reservation for dinner and if Julian would be there. She made a reservation for 5 people, Kim her daughter, and daughter's boyfriend and Chef Greg and his nephew.

CASA holds its monthly meetings at our restaurant and this past Monday Chef Greg was the featured speaker at their meeting. I got to meet him and of course we talked about his time together with Julian @ # 4. Greg also stated he would like to visit with Julian while he was here and told me of his high regard and respect he had for Julian. I also learned that KIm and Greg are still working together in Toronto.

I told Julian they would be coming and  he was excited with the news. When he could take a break he came out to their table and it was hugs and smiles all around, with an especially big hug from Kim and she calling Julian... Baby. One thing I remember distinctly was when they were going thru our menu and thinking of what to order Greg asked Kim what she thought he should order and she told him to order Julian's Short Ribs and stated how popular they were @ #4. It was a good reunion and everyone had a great time as well Greg's nephew got to play the piano and he can really tickle the ivories to the pleasure of all the patrons.

When they were leaving Kim told me how happy she was that Julian was @ La Mision and just knew he would be perfect for us.

I know want to tell you what I know about Chef Julian... yes he is a Chef. I know where he studied, and where he has worked but most important I know the man. He is 43 years old has a loving family that think the world of him. He has 2 children his eldest is his daughter who is a dentist who works for Tepahua, his son who is a spitting image of his father both in appearance and personality is in his last year of high school and will be attending culinary institute this fall.

Julian doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs. He is the first member of staff on the job and the last to leave after making sure that his kitchen is spotless. He has the patience of Job and all the kitchen staff are now always smiling and happy and I can assure you that is not always the case in kitchens. They are all learning from him and his personality rubs off and they have both respect and love for him, his staff is all female.

He has increased our business every month he has been with us. I have the deepest respect and yes love for this giving, caring and extremely talented man.

In closing I can tell you that the comments we receive daily from our clients re the fare @ La Mision are wonderful and put a smile on our faces.

In closing my mentor taught me a long time ago "It takes no skill and talent to criticize, the skill and talent is not to."

Relax, things must not have been clear, apologies: Saying “one brought unique concept and cuisine to Ajijic” should not be considered a scathing attack. It is not. No one could ever say Chef Craig or Chef Julian are not good. Got to know both of them: and indeed they are both very, very good at what they do. Chef Craig Couillard track record speaks for itself.

Again in case it is not clear, Julian is a great guy and a very good chef, it comes as no surprise that he is doing well, as he would do so in any kitchen environment and has a bright future in front of him.

What was said was “it was nearly impossible to believe” . . . but then again it is Ajijic and must admit that everything is possible, great to see that people who had a major fall out were able to patch things up get together and sing cumbaya. This must be the Magic of our lake.

Finally, interesting statement about criticism, but not really relevant since the post was not a criticism and did not ask for justification (or even defending Julien as he does not need any). Just stating facts. Again, nothing against you, your lovely restaurant, Julian (or Kim for that matter).

You nabbed one of Number Four Chefs, so you’ll most likely have continued success.

Wishing you well.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, ianos said:

Relax, things must not have been clear, apologies: Saying “one brought unique concept and cuisine to Ajijic” should not be considered a scathing attack. It is not. No one could ever say Chef Craig or Chef Julian are not good. Got to know both of them: and indeed they are both very, very good at what they do. Chef Craig Couillard track record speaks for itself.

Again in case it is not clear, Julian is a great guy and a very good chef, it comes as no surprise that he is doing well, as he would do so in any kitchen environment and has a bright future in front of him.

What was said was “it was nearly impossible to believe” . . . but then again it is Ajijic and must admit that everything is possible, great to see that people who had a major fall out were able to patch things up get together and sing cumbaya. This must be the Magic of our lake.

Finally, interesting statement about criticism, but not really relevant since the post was not a criticism and did not ask for justification (or even defending Julien as he does not need any). Just stating facts. Again, nothing against you, your lovely restaurant, Julian (or Kim for that matter).

You nabbed one of Number Four Chefs, so you’ll most likely have continued success.

Wishing you well.

Thank You

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say that CASA had their Awards Banquet at La Mision on March 28th. The Dinner Choices were Beef Tenderloin, Salmon or Pork Chops.  A large majority including myself ordered the Beef Tenderloin.  I must say that it was the best Filet that I have had in 11 years of living here at Lakeside!!  Better than Bruno's Baseball Filet and Tango's Beef Tenderloin!!!!!  The meat was done perfectly as ordered- Medium Rare. The mashed potatoes were also the best I ever had!!  Kudos to Chef Julian on being #1 for Steak & Potatoes!!  And thank you to La Mision for hiring him!!

maw

Reading all this makes me wonder why some people even come here to Ajijic!  Michael merely announced, and with good reasons for HIS business, a change of hours.  

Which may be subject to change again as the snowbirds migrate north....why in the heck does this turn into a 'rant' ?   Any subject here begins ok then becomes a nasty discussion, and its just sickening!  I like La Mision and many other places here..and gee...I don't prefer others or had a bad 'experience'...so just don't go...no need to bash the hell out of anyone!!

Grow up people...get some activity to do instead of reading this board hour after hour and feeling the need to comment, especially in a negative manner....go help someone or even yourself!!     Really....you can't please all of the people all of the time!!  Thats it..thats all.....

And thats my rant ...will probably be nailed now too....oh well..........     Carry on La Mision...you are fine...and your chef is too!!   Good Luck!!!

1 hour ago, poptarte_22@yahoo.com said:

why in the heck does this turn into a 'rant' ?   Any subject here begins ok then becomes a nasty discussion, and its just sickening!  I like La Mision and many other places here..and gee...I don't prefer others or had a bad 'experience'...so just don't go...no need to bash the hell out of anyone!!

I couldn't agree more - the simplest things get turned into a huge discussion and so often a "rant" that it becomes annoying, oh for the good old days when it was just an information source. I appreciate the board but can't help wondering why things have to escalate.

Archived