Chapala.com Webboard

ROKU

Kyle

52 minutes ago, gfresh said:

One technique that can/could work is to Cascade or Tier a personal router behind IP providers router. (see Senior Google)  For example, with a Telmex router, as the primary router, has an IP 192.168.1.1  If you add your own personal router, Linksys, Asus, Dlink, where you can set it's IP to 192.168.2.1, then connect one of the primary router's LAN port to the WAN port of the Second router with ethernet cable. Now you can run a VPN on the second router, most have it built in, and your computer and network won't have a MX IP.   I find this technique works since these newer Telmex routers don't allow configuring DNS and other settings easily.  YMMV

That method was suggested on Dec 12, 2016 by Isso Jawad in the comments section of the link I posted above so it sounds good.    Are those routers readily available here?    Do you know the model numbers that can be used for this?   Where would we get detailed instructions as to how to get into the second router and make those changes, plus whatever else needs to be done on the computer, if anything?    Will instructions in the box be in English?

Also, do you think that is better than running a smart DNS like Unlocator?    Thanks.

By the way, I spent 3 hours on a Chat session with Express VPN this morning and got nowhere.

The personal router idea is a good one.  You get a better quality router for home traffic (the modem that the ISP gives you is worth its weight in tortillas) and you don't have to bother with VPN settings on any device in this new network, ever.  You just put your VPN account info into the router and everything connected to it will appear to be in the chosen location.

The only thing I would add is that there are a LOT of cheap routers (you may already own one) that can run custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato, adding the ability to use VPNs on the router as well as a bunch of other stuff.  Free, of course.  You can check if a given router is upgradable here:

DD-WRT:  https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Tomato:  https://www.enginoor.com/list-of-tomato-compatible-routers/

You can just buy a router that supports VPNs (look for VPN ready or VPN compatible in the documentation), but this might be a cheaper solution for a lot of people and cheap is good in my books.

As for using a smart DNS service e.g. Unlocator, that's a fair option (similar cost, similar results, works a bit easier because almost any device will let the user change the DNS settings quick and easy) except that now all your traffic is travelling unencrypted and vulnerable.  Not much more vulnerable than if you didn't have any service at all, but a big plus of a VPN is the encryption/privacy, not just the ability to change locations.

Blame the Dog:   Thanks for the information.    Now I'm overwhelmed regarding the choice!  Suggestions?  I'm going up to the States later this week and could order one and have it shipped there and then bring it down with me.   However, I need to decide soon.

Do you favor replacing the Telmex rather than adding the new one as a secondary?    I see that some of these modems seem to  have only the rj45 jack for input while the Telmex has the rj11 for the phone line.

Well, there's a lot of variables in choosing a specific router, like budget, router speed (anything with "ac" is the current gold standard, "n" is slower, "b" and/or "g" are really old), dual band (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) or just 2.4GHz, etc.  If I was to guess based on what you have written, I would suggest a dual band "ac" router with VPN capabilities built in so you don't have to mess with the firmware (bit of a pain).  There's a decent and up-to-date review article here with good suggestions:

http://www.pickmyrouter.com/best-vpn-routers/

As for replacing the Telmex modem, that's where we have to get into the difference between a modem and a router.  They overlap a lot, but a modem (MOdulator/DEModulator) handles the actual signal from the internet service provider, i.e. the RJ-11 connection in the case of Telmex or the coaxial cable connection in the case of cable internet.  You need their modem, or at least you need A modem and since Telmex doesn't charge a monthly fee for using theirs you may as well keep it.  It does the "modem" part of the job just fine, it's the "router" functions that suck grass.

So pick a good router, connect it to the Telmex modem, set it up, and the router will do all the heavy lifting from then on.  If you move or change internet providers, just connect your purchased router to whatever modem they give you and you're up and running again, no settings changes or anything.

Here is a better link as to what radiosity offers. Much more content than Shaw or USTV. Don't know if you have to pay extra for premium channels. Don't know how much is HD. Will find out during the 48 hour try before you buy. No need for VPN, this reseller is actually located in Mexico, and can provide bilingual customer support.

http://radiosityroku.com/channels.html

Thanks, everyone for the great information.   I think I am going to hedge my bets and try to do both options so I can compare.     I've paid for a month of radiosity (250p) that Chillin recommended and it should be active within 24 hours.   Actually, it is Pix that the rep on the radiosityroku website set me up with. That amount includes all the premium channels they list on their website (Pix); it's a mix of HD and standard.    We'll soon see how it goes.   Radiosity and Pix are from Mexican resellers so no VPN is required.   The sales/support rep on the Chat session writes perfect English and answers questions directly and to the point.    It's interesting that if you look at their website in English the price is $23/mo.   However, if you look at it in Spanish the price is $23/mo or 249pesos/mo.   Do the math -- I paid in pesos.    In fact, the support rep gave me both prices, too -- very helpful.

On the other front, I am going to order a modem/router from the information Blame the Dog provided us and then I'll try to get that running, probably with Sling TV.   I still have yet to digest much of the info' about the choice of routers so that is pending.     My time is spread a little thin doing this, looking at property, and getting ready for a quick trip to the US so it will be a week at least before I know much more.

I installed the Pix system but then realized that it doesn't have MSNBC.    There are a lot of English channels, a mix of SD and HD, also movies, HBO, Showtime, sports and more that I haven't discovered.    The next day I subscribed to radiosity giving me MSNBC HD as well as a lot of other HD channels.    Between the two there is a good selection of HD but I haven't had time to chart it all.    Paying in pesos for each gives a total of 450p/mo.   You can even pay cash at Oxxo and not involve your CC.   

The websites are not current so as Chillin suggested, you don't really know what you bought until you buy it; however they offer more than the website shows.    You can subscribe by the month with options for price breaks for a longer period.    I did notice today that some of the radiosity channels have their audio and video a wee bit out of sync, others are fine.   I called support about it and they said that parts of the service were very new and that they would be fine tuning it. 

• 1 year later...

I have given up Roku. It is collecting dust. I have a small laptop ($250.00 USD 9 in Acer)  connected to the TV by a HDMI cable. Since the router is next to TV, the PC has direct connection to the internet. With a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and the TV as a 42 inch monitor, I can watch anything I can get with a browser from the sofa. With a VPN on the pc, I can turn it on/off and set ecyption for on-line banking.

No flashing routers or special box. Going back to the basics.

I never left the basics. Have watched systems come and go but, if it works, I'm not really interested in changing it. Presently, I have a 27 foot HDMI cord snaking along the wall behind my desk to the TV from my laptop. All I need. The KISS principal in action

Archived