Chapala.com Webboard

ROKU

Kyle

Super easy to setup roku streaming stick and switch to IPTV. It looks like a flash drive. You need Wi-Fi access, then plug it in to your hdmi port, usually on your TV. You can take the stick along when you travel. Other than the hardware charge, there are no monthly fees with Roku. The selection of channels is at first mind boggling, then you start to realise that many of them are samples of services for which they want to charge a small monthly charge. Be aware that you have to give Roku a credit card number if you expect to subscribe to anything. Then there are the premium add ons - Netflix Mexico seems to carry all the same shows and movies as Netflix U.S.A.- many original series only available though Netflix - most of them are very entertaining. The standard grade feed (480p) is 99 pesos a month off your card. You get one month of try before you buy. If your speed increases, which we are about to, we are also going to subscribe to radiosity, which apparently works well through Roku. They have a vast collection of movies, series, and access to U.S. and Canadian news and sports channels. This service is more expensive, about $95 U.S. per year if you have a friend who can sign you up, or about $145 per year if you go through a reseller. Radiosity only sells through resellers. They have no issue with you being in Mexico, in fact they have a lot of Spanish language programming. They have a 48 hour try before you buy. We ordered the Roku stick through Amazon - it arrived in three days. There is another alternative called a Kodi box - but it is nowhere as slick and user friendly than Roku. Roku should have a "senior approved" sticker!

Again, this is a radiosity reseller, I doubt if all their available channels are up to date, especially Canadian channels.

http://radiosityroku.com/

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Super easy to setup roku streaming stick and switch to IPTV. It looks like a flash drive.

Again, this is a radiosity reseller, I doubt if all their available channels are up to date, especially Canadian channels.

http://radiosityroku.com/

I'm glad there is someone on this board who can help people with questions like this. I can field a lot of them, but there are too many devices and services these days to keep up, on top of knowing all the tricks for several versions of Windows and the Mac, along with cell phones, eReaders, tablets, and so on.

I did look at the radiosityroku website, and I must say, if I didn't know what it was about, there site would not have been very good at telling me. Even knowing the game plan, their links and channel descriptions are sorely lacking.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm glad there is someone on this board who can help people with questions like this. I can field a lot of them, but there are too many devices and services these days to keep up, on top of knowing all the tricks for several versions of Windows and the Mac, along with cell phones, eReaders, tablets, and so on.

I did look at the radiosityroku website, and I must say, if I didn't know what it was about, there site would not have been very good at telling me. Even knowing the game plan, their links and channel descriptions are sorely lacking.

Last time I checked at Costco they had Roku android internet TV boxes for about $2,400 pesos a couple of months ago. I like my M8S pro for internet streaming and the KODI app as it is free viewing, except for the services mentioned above, and has better search functions to find content than Roku, IMO. But it is tricky to keep it up and running correctly.

We have two ROKUs and they both work great.  No, there is not as much content on Netflix Mexico as Netflix U.S.

https://www.finder.com/netflix-usa-vs-world-content

About half as much. 

The latest ROKU, not 4K resolution, sells for about $70 in the U.S.  Quite a mark up here, have someone bring you one, they are small.

The streaming stick, which works on wifi only is $50 at Amazon U.S.

Good discussion of the streaming devices here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

A visiting son set us up with a new Roku installation a few weeks ago. I carefully wrote down how to access the content's of said "magic" box; but guess what, I haven't a clue as how to follow the instructions!

So there it sits, a tantalizing little box containing hundreds of movies, etc., and I can't break the damn code..grrr.

USTV Now on Roku has been working great for us. $40 US per month gets us all the channels we want with a cloud DVR that keeps everything you record for 30 days.

No brainier for us.

I had a local guy here (Vallarta) set up a Roku 3 for me last night and today I tried to get Sling TV added  for the basics like ESPN, History, NatGeo, MSNBC, CNN and I couldn't find a way to add it.    Eventually I did a Chat session with Roku and after a long silence on the session he asked me where I was.   I told him I was in MX using a VPN, the config everyone recommends, and he came back and said I couldn't get it here.    Well, I've heard a lot of talk about Sling being used here so someone knows how to do it.    Anyone know the procedure?   

16 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

USTV Now on Roku has been working great for us. $40 US per month gets us all the channels we want with a cloud DVR that keeps everything you record for 30 days.

No brainier for us.

I looked at the channel lineup online and it looks like very few are HD.   Is that correct?    And how did you get Roku to add it to their lineup?

I have no idea if any of the channels are HD. My poor eyes can't tell the difference.

In the Roku channel store you will find the link. You have to go online and sign up for the service at ustvnow dot com. You can get a few basic channels for free but can only watch on a computer. Try it out and see what you think.

19 hours ago, Jistme said:

A visiting son set us up with a new Roku installation a few weeks ago. I carefully wrote down how to access the content's of said "magic" box; but guess what, I haven't a clue as how to follow the instructions!

So there it sits, a tantalizing little box containing hundreds of movies, etc., and I can't break the damn code..grrr.

Get in touch with Sergio and he can help.  He is also selling and servicing ROKU locally.  skylinegtr1978@gmail.com, 

Go to the Roku store on your computer and follow instructions and add ustvnow to your account. You will not be able to watch on your Roku unless you subscribe to a paid subscription but you can try it out on your computer. Then if you try it for a month you can watch on your Roku and you will not need a VPN as it only works OUTSIDE the US. It was originally designed for overseas military folks but now available to anyone with a US address and CC.

14 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Go to the Roku store on your computer and follow instructions and add ustvnow to your account. You will not be able to watch on your Roku unless you subscribe to a paid subscription but you can try it out on your computer. Then if you try it for a month you can watch on your Roku and you will not need a VPN as it only works OUTSIDE the US. It was originally designed for overseas military folks but now available to anyone with a US address and CC.

Ustvnow won't accept a sign-in using a hotmail address!    They want a sign-in via social media, something I don't do so I can't get to the free trial.   I'm not going to give them my primary gmail address.
As for Roku, if I try to add a channel it asks for the access code.    On Roku neither ustvnow nor Sling TV show on the apps listing. 

The main problem seems to be that  Roku knows that I'm not in the US.      With Roku, the Home page will not give me the Search option along with:
Home
Streaming Channels
Settings.

The Roku help page instructs us to go to Home, click on Search and then enter Sling TV in order to put it in the list of options for apps.    When I talked to the Roku tech on a Chat session he told me that the reason is that Roku does not give me the Search option because it detects that I'm not in the US.   A VPN doesn't change what Roku sees.

I read somewhere recently on this forum that someone wrote about changing the DNS in the modem.   Also, I think this webpage may have the answers:

https://thevpn.guru/roku-american-channels-usa-get-unblock-vpn-dns/

Interesting they don't accept a Hotmail address. My Gmail address works perfectly and ustvnow works well on my Roku now that Telmex has my speed up to 10. We all have to decide who gets our primary email address.

36 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Interesting they don't accept a Hotmail address. My Gmail address works perfectly and ustvnow works well on my Roku now that Telmex has my speed up to 10. We all have to decide who gets our primary email address.

Yes, ustvnow explicitly says FB or Google.    I'm near Bucerias and getting 8-9 from Telmex which should be fine for streaming anything ... if I could just get it set up!   Checking into a VPN enabled modem or the smart DNS method.

I just called ustvnow asking about the channels and cost.    About half of the channels I want are on the premium plan and that is $200/mo with a $175 setup charge.    I had set up an extra gmail account  as REC had suggested (thanks) but I think I will pass on  ustvnow. 

If you have a VPN on your computer your can probably keep your Sling to send it to your TV with an HDMI cable. Spoofing a router seems to be a bit tougher. If you buy a dedicated VPN router the major players have an easy time of catching you.

One technique that can/could work is to Cascade or Tier a personal router behind IP providers router. (see Senior Google)  For example, with a Telmex router, as the primary router, has an IP 192.168.1.1  If you add your own personal router, Linksys, Asus, Dlink, where you can set it's IP to 192.168.2.1, then connect one of the primary router's LAN port to the WAN port of the Second router with ethernet cable. Now you can run a VPN on the second router, most have it built in, and your computer and network won't have a MX IP.   I find this technique works since these newer Telmex routers don't allow configuring DNS and other settings easily.  YMMV

Archived