Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw bill goes up every billing perios.

J.Miller

We have Shaw (Star Choice?) for our television viewing.  We pay every third month and for the last three periods our bill has gone up and up.  This month's billing is for another forty five CDN for the three month period.  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

I've never understood why people spend hundreds of dollars for TV that is mainly filled with commercial laden channels that no one watches.  There are so many commercials on most of these channels it is hard to keep track of the content.

Are these guys indexing your bill to the U.S. dollar?  That would be a ripoff.

Try streaming instead.  We got rid of cable and haven't missed it for a second.

No it is CDN dollars and there are a few things we like to watch and also like getting the Canadian news at night, but I can't understand why the service continues to climb without offering any type of benefit to us.  I am not really all that computer literate and do not know how to get/use streaming.  Can you explain without a lot of technical instruction por favor?  

12 minutes ago, J.Miller said:

We have Shaw (Star Choice?) for our television viewing.  We pay every third month and for the last three periods our bill has gone up and up.  This month's billing is for another forty five CDN for the three month period.  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Do you have your own account? I pay monthly so I assume a three month payment is through a facilitator.  I have my own account and see an increase only every January.

Tried streaming several times, not worth the aggravation.

Love Shaw and my PVR - can pause live broadcasts while I take a break. Have to admit I added an external hard drive because we tend to keep favourite programs to watch again.

Shaw raises its prices every six months, usually January and July. And with that comes extra tax, of course. But a $45 dollar additional charge is a mistake, unless you asked for a massive upgrade in your choices. If you are seeing other raises, then lumieretoo probably has your answer: you are using someone else, and they are nailing you.

My own bill went down a bit because they reorganized their costs, based on the new Canadian regulations. By a bit, I mean a couple of bucks. But I do have a substantial package.

I have a very basic package and my bill recently went down a bit.  Sounds like something funny going on with yours.

To J. Miller - I see you mentioned you enjoy watching the News every night.  I stream CBC News Network 24 hours a day and they only charge me $6.95 CDN per month.  The one thing they do block though are documentaries like the Passionate Eye, because of copyright laws.  It is very easy to open and if you decide to get this just send me a private message on this website and I can tell you how to install. You can watch the National every night at either 8pm or 10pm.

Computerguy: we have had the same package for nine years without any changes except to the bill and as I mentioned there has been an increase every time for at least the last three billings.  We have often been suspicious about our facilitator.  Lumeretoo: How would we go about dumping the facilitator in favor of our own account?  

I enjoy CBC News - watch it every day.  I find it far superior to any of the US News broadcasts.  My favorite though is BBC World News.  I wish we could get CNN International on Shaw since it is some of the best I have ever seen.  Amazing why CNN doesn't put its best foot forward by making it available in North America.

44 minutes ago, J.Miller said:

Computerguy I have a Canadian billing address for my credit cards and most of my banking is still done via my Canadian bank accounts; does that work?

Yes indeed. What I can't tell you is how to proceed... I was actually in Canada when I set mine up. They send out a technician to set you up the first time. Obviously cannot do that here.

You may be able to do it online; your Shaw receiver has to be removed from the account that is presently servicing it. Then you call or chat with Shaw support and get it put on your account. That's the part I'm not sure of: can you start a new account that way, without any physical connection? Has anyone here done this?

The people that are selling you the service are making a ton of money... 

Find out what level of service you have, then go to the Shaw website and look what that package cost, then divide it by six .

You are allowed 6 receivers on each account.  So the facilitators buy one service package and sell six receivers.. Usually making severall hundred percent profit.

I pay $2,400 pesos for 3 months of Shaw.  Obviously it's $800 pesos a month.  I receive the Ultimate Package, +Movies, +Sports,+Networks from Detroit and Seattle. Also, all kinds of local channels from Prince Edward Island to Vancouver.  I am totally happy with the programming we receive.  Did I mention HBO East & West.  I understand the price increases are part of the business,  Still, for what we receive, $800 pesos a month is a bargain, at least to me anyway.  

That is a very good price and indicates that you are sharing you account with other persons, which is fine with me.

I remember in 1984 when I had been watching HBO for free on C-band when they first began to scramble their signals. We were all mad. We believed what was in the sky was free to air and free to watch and we spent hours working on how to beat the system and get the scrambled channels for free. Within a few years I gave up and now stream very little and am happy to pay for a satellite signal especially if you are able to share the expense with relatives or friends.

I live part time in a Seattle condo where I am charged a fee for TV whether I am there or not. I can have either Comcast Cable or DirecTV. I chose DirecTV and rented an extra receiver for $5.95  extra per month which I brought down here and have hooked up to a 2.4 meter dish which allows me to watch most of the HD channels  I watch up north for no extra charge when I'm in Mexico

Archived