Chapala.com Webboard

Things to do with Grandsons

foto519

A day at the Spa in SJC (Wednesday).Pack a lunch.  A trip to downtown Guadalajara for sightseeing and looking around. A trip to Tonala on a Thursday for the Tianguis (have a meeting place and caution about wandering much off the beaten path).  Actually, a cell phone they could use when on their own would be worthwhile. A trip to Talaquepaque with lunch at a good restaurant. Local sights are good (a driving tour) with them telling you if they want to stop at any place.

I would take them to the unique guachimontones pyramids (that is something you don't see a lot of NOB.)  The Gdl Zoo is world class with a cool safari ride in a jeep and a teleferico or ski lifts that give you a tour from above.  Across the street is the Magic Forest Amusement park complete with several rollercoasters.  If you want something more exciting than Scorpion Island on the lake, take them to Mezcala island. There is an old Spanish fort, prision, and petroglyphs.  Matzamitla has the hike down to the waterfall, Tapalpa has the giant rocks park.  Lagos de Moreno is voted the most beautiful colonial city in Jalico.  Everything I listed is a 2 hours or less drive away.  Or you could drive around rhe lake, stop by Petetan where they feed the pelicans on the weekends.

3 hours ago, Hud said:

Lagos is the most beautiful? Have you been there?

Hud, reread my post please.  Yes, I've been there on several ocasions and have traveled extensively around Jalisco and all over Mexico excluding the far North and the Yucatan.  I never said it was the most beautiful city.  I said that it is considered (by Tapatios) the most beautiful COLONIAL city in Jalisco.  And if you compare Lagos to most of the other smaller cities in this state outside of the capital Guadalajara, regarding colonial architecture, Lagos is a true jem!  Jalisco is indeed beautiful and very special, but for colonial buildings, it ain't Puebla, Morelos, Queretero, or even Zacatecas.  

Another vote for a boat trip to Mezcala Island with a guide.  The boat ride has great views of the lake and the history when related by an expert is really fascinating.

Also, Mazamitla and some of the hiking there.

A day spent on the mall in Centro GDL is a must IMO.

11 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Yes, I've been there on several occasions  Lagos is a true jem!  Jalisco is indeed beautiful and very special, but for colonial buildings, it ain't Puebla, Morelos, Queretero, or even Zacatecas.  

So have we and we found the remains of that once walled city interesting to say the least(but, of course, Mexicans do not believe in walls).  :)

My thoughts were as far as colonial beauty go, if you are going to drive 3 hours (that is a good estimate of time for us on our trips that way) why not just drive one hour more and see The Most Beautiful Colonial City in all of Mexico (Guanajuato)? What rings one person's bell does not always ring others. I would guess, were it me, and I only had a week with my grands, I would stay much nearer the casa, as for us, locally there is a LOT to offer in a short time. Downtown Guadalajara is Fabulous ! Boat trip in the Lake to the Island, up in the mountains, Boardwalk in Chapala, Ajijic, Joco. Lots here to choose from.

Archived