Chapala.com Webboard

Ninette's

Justathought

I always feel that you need to give the person (or business) the opportunity to show what they can do, or at least explain themselves.  By not doing that, and only relying on other's opinions without trying it yourself, it makes it seem like a village lynch mob.  Please give them the benefit of the doubt, before giving up on them based on this webboard.

Hey, if replies are overwhelmingly one way or the other, then I would certainly base my initial moves on what I read here. If they are split, and if you know the tastes of some of the people, then you can easily judge whether or not to try a place. This Cocina section has a LONG history of restaurant comments, specifically for these reasons, and it won't change now.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Hey, if replies are overwhelmingly one way or the other, then I would certainly base my initial moves on what I read here. If they are split, and if you know the tastes of some of the people, then you can easily judge whether or not to try a place. This Cocina section has a LONG history of restaurant comments, specifically for these reasons, and it won't change now.

The reason I said "ask them" is that rumors are rife here.  Why would someone else have the word on why they moved?  Why would their reason for moving make a difference?  The only thing inportant to its customers is how they perform in the food quality, preparation, service, value for price and general ambiance departments.

The usual reasons restaurants move is to find a better location or the landord raised the rent.  I've only dined in their old location with groups.  There's nothing wrong with the food or service: it's just not on my "favorites" list.  Matter of taste.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And all good reasons for your suggestion. Also, in this case, the OP asked about food and service, and this is the place to come for those answers, right?

This is the place to come for 'opinions' on food and service, not definitive answers.  Every restaurant can have good and bad days, as can the stomachs and moods of the customers.  I still think that the OP should try it at least once himself, before giving up on it totally.

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

This is the place to come for 'opinions' on food and service, not definitive answers.  Every restaurant can have good and bad days, as can the stomachs and moods of the customers.  I still think that the OP should try it at least once himself, before giving up on it totally.

I think everyone here is old enough to understand that these are opinions, not fact. And you'd have to be pretty stupid to not try a place yourself.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And you'd have to be pretty stupid to not try a place yourself.

Not necessarily.  Unless one eats out constantly, reviews can help them sort out the bad or marginal from the good without subjecting themselves to the former.  I have found that a number of mixed or poor reviews of a place here and on other local boards is useful for this purpose.  

After reading for some years and then sampling, I've noticed a number of reviewers here who seem to call it pretty good for our personal preferences.  I've also noticed that places that get panned thoroughly here don't last very long.

The best reviewers don't get emotional, do get specific as to the deficiencies/problems they perceived and try and report the good with the not so good.  They also include service and ambiance considerations and provide cost information as well.

Good restaurants are consistent over the long haul and deliver value for money.

Eight of us dined at Ninette last evening.  We we're all very pleased with the food and service.  We also thought the prices were fine.  I've dined at Oscar's restaurant ever since he first opened and have always been pleased and often impressed with the variety he offers.  Try it yourself and form your own opinion.

On 2/7/2017 at 1:48 PM, Justathought said:

I figured everyone else can ask questions like that, so why can't I ? Nothing  wrong in asking. ,  Cheer up and have a great day!! 

just because you can post doesn't mean you should post. I feel badly for Oscar, who is a hard working knowledgeable person who would feel very hurt by your trolling for dirt on his restaurant. there are all kinds of insensitive people on this board--as on most boards--who like nothing more than to pile on with their 2 cents. the restaurant biz is very much affected by the quality of its employees, and Oscar has fired over 30 this past year for incompetence. the best intentions of the owner can be quickly over come by a bad worker and even if you fire them, the stink of the experience follows. Oscar is very philosophical about this, dusts himself off and continues to strive for a high quality of service and cuisine. He doesn't have much of a choice as he has a young family to feed and posts like this may affect his bottom line. i don't subscribe to the theory that these kind of posts are a public service.  please think before you post, is it true? is it kind? where's my ego in all this?

6 minutes ago, the walkers said:

just because you can post doesn't mean you should post. I feel badly for Oscar, who is a hard working knowledgeable person who would feel very hurt by your trolling for dirt on his restaurant. there are all kinds of insensitive people on this board--as on most boards--who like nothing more than to pile on with their 2 cents. the restaurant biz is very much affected by the quality of its employees, and Oscar has fired over 30 this past year for incompetence. the best intentions of the owner can be quickly over come by a bad worker and even if you fire them, the stink of the experience follows. Oscar is very philosophical about this, dusts himself off and continues to strive for a high quality of service and cuisine. He doesn't have much of a choice as he has a young family to feed and posts like this may affect his bottom line. i don't subscribe to the theory that these kind of posts are a public service.  please think before you post, is it true? is it kind? where's my ego in all this?

You're thinking that a little compassion would be a good thing?  Running a restaurant has to be one of the toughest jobs anyone tackles.  So much can go amok. The "people problems" go on endlessly.  Kudos for sheer guts to those who persevere.

5 hours ago, the walkers said:

Hmm. Very interesting.  I have asked ONE very simple question.    I am not looking for' dirt'  or 'trolling' for' dirt' .  Just asking for  opinions.   

As gringal said, I am very happy that  Oscar   has  persevered in his restaurant.  It certainly is a  tough business. 

I wish Oscar and you well .  Enjoy your day.  

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ninette. I like to sit in the garden. My favorite is still the pork with a coffee crust. I really enjoyed the gyros while they featured them. The wine is always good.

This is very much an upscale family restaurant. They moved so they can be closer to their children, who can play in the garden.

They handled a large private party on a Saturday night. The menu was special for the party and the food and service were excellent.

Archived