Chapala.com Webboard

Swiffers

On occasion, I have seen wet and dry refill pads at Walmart, but they have been few and far between. Have not seen the mops themselves here, and I always bring a few refills back with me when I return from the states. Plese let us know if you locate any !

Such things as Swiffers and sponge mops are not in high demand in Mexico. They do not last very long on tile floors, as the sharp edges of some tiles, and the grout, destroy them quickly. Replacement is expensive. Even the universally popular string mops have to be replaced fairly often.

I got my whole setup on Amazon US and get refills there also. I use in between weekly maid visits because of our 3 sliding glass doors being almost constantly open and that of course means plenty of dust. The dry Swiffers work perfectly for that job.

Just in case you might be interested ... I got tired of spending $$ on something that went into the trash anyway.

I purchased a bag of yellow microfiber cleaning cloths from CostCo. They can be used dry or wet, and you can tuck them into the little Swiffer corners as well as anything made by Swiffer.

After using, wash and hang out to dry. Works well for us. I didn't even cut them down to size, although it could easily be done.

4 hours ago, cstone said:

Just in case you might be interested ... I got tired of spending $$ on something that went into the trash anyway.

I purchased a bag of yellow microfiber cleaning cloths from CostCo. They can be used dry or wet, and you can tuck them into the little Swiffer corners as well as anything made by Swiffer.

After using, wash and hang out to dry. Works well for us. I didn't even cut them down to size, although it could easily be done.

That's exactly what I used to do with my Swiffer even when I lived up north!  Why pay for refills, when a microfiber cloth works just as well, and can be re-used over and over again!

Has anyone noticed if they sell steam mops down here?  I used to have one of those up north as well, and it was fantastic on my tile floors!  It came with a thick microfiber cloth that would attach with Velcro to the bottom of the unit.  Then you just filled it with distilled water, plug it in until it was steaming, then mop away!  Way better than using chemical cleaning products all the time.  That steam killed any grime and bacteria that would be on your floors!

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Do they sell distilled water anywhere around here? I don't remember seeing it but I never looked for it either.

I'm not sure either, but it doesn't have to be distilled.  Bottled water would probably be fine as well.  I think the only reason they recommend distilled water is to prevent scale buildup on the steam vent holes, just like an iron.

I purchased a spray mop that has replaceable micro fiber pads made by Rubbermaid from Amazon. It comes with several pads and two refillable bottles. You can put your own cleaning solutions in.

I use white vinegar and water to clean our tile floors. Much less expensive than the Swiffer.

Distilled water (Agua distillado) is often found in the area where irons, ironing boards, etc. are sold; not always with other waters.

No; it is not a good idea to use bottled water, as it does contain disolved minerals and will eventually clog your appliance.

Archived