Chapala.com Webboard

Easy(ier) way to get 1st time drivers license for seniors

mhopkins2

My wife and I engaged the services of Luzma Grande of Ajijic to drive us to Guad and back and guide us through the different stations.  We were both getting first time licenses for both automobile and motorcycle.  This requires 2 sets of papers and you receive 2 licenses.  Because we're over the age of 60, she guided us to the fronts of all lines talking to whomever was in charge of that station.  She also got us an interpreter for the exam station.  Because our Oregon licenses had motorcycle endorsements, both the car (parking) and motorcycle tests were waved.  She said for 1 person getting 1 license, the usual time from Ajijic back to Ajijic is about 4 hours.  She made the task so much easier than if we'd tried to do this on our own.  She charges $500mx for the trip plus $150/hour.  I highly recommend Luzma to make this a much easier, close to pain free, task.  Her email is ajijicconcierge at gmail.com and office number is (376) 766 1562. . 

I´m just curious to know how many people have had to take the parking lot driving test, that already have a driving license from NOB, and if so, what does it consist of?  And also, what about the written or I guess computer test, I know they provide a translator, but is it a test one needs to seriously study for, or is it fairly basic and simple?   Also, the OP paid Luzma 500 pesos plus 150/hour for about 4 hours, totaling 1100 pesos according to my math.  Does that also include the fee for the drivers license?  And if not, how much total did you pay in all?  Thanks!

From my experience in Riberas, Chapala, Ixtlahuacan, and Guadaljara the driving test is made up of different parts depending on where you take the test. I've never seen a translator so be prepared to study seriously. Not simple in fact a bit confusing.

Luzma's fee does not include the driver's license fee. But, over 60, with or without DIF card, pay 1/2.

Also, re Cedros' comment. I had a translator, but I think he thought I was from Sanskrit cuz the guy surely didn't speak English, or, if he did, his English was a disaster compared to my lousy Spanish. I was able to read enough Spanish to, hopefully, understand the questions barely enough to pass (8 of 10).

However, Luzma says she has never had one of her over 50 clients fail the written exam.

Lastly, re dichosalocura's question. I have a NOB driver's license, so NO driving test.

I have a NOB licence and had to do the driving test.  It was ridiculously simple.  Drive in a circle, parallel park in a very large space.

Sparks, I asked Luzma this question.  She said they know her in Guad and the time is actually shorter for new licenses.  She does go to a smaller town for renewals which usually take about 20 minutes.  Luzma will send you the file of 103 total questions of which 10 are selected for your touch screen test.  Like the questions she sends, the test is multiple choice.  The first thing she'll tell you is not to stress out over the test.  The questions are common sense.  From my own experience I would just say look at the traffic signs and what they mean.  The translator would ask me what a car in a diagram was going to do and the answers were obvious (it was in a right turn lane).  What does a sign with 2 pedestrians in front of a crosswalk mean?  Not difficult.  The translator actually pushes the answer based on what you told him (or, what he knows to be the right answer).  The list of total questions has the correct answer highlighted.  My wife's method was to black out the wrong answers then read all questions with only the right answer highlighted.  The list is in English.  I only read the list once before taking the test.  Hope this helps.  BTW, Luzma is a concierge and does lots of other things as well.  She knows many people locally and can refer you to someone if you're struggling with an issue locally.   

Here in Cihuatlan the Transito that gave me the computer test tried to help me until he realized I could read Spanish.  I did not understand one question and he explained the question but didn't give the answer.  Including the foto it took about 20 minutes 

My own test was on a computer but the other two I helped with were on paper. 20 questions. A few of them were weird. I didn't have to do the driving test. The guy wanted money but I refused and waited him out. The other two both had to do the driving test. I went along as a passenger to make sure they didn't hit the cones. The examiner stood back and watched sort of. 

Different locations have different proceedures. It is not standarized. Some are much easier than others.

We were told last month to bring all needed documents for new drivers license to Chapala on Monday, Feb. 6th or on Tuesday Feb. 7th. QUESTION! Will Chapala City Hall be open on Monday, Feb 6th which is a federal holiday. Anyone know for sure??? TKS.

I got my license in Ciuatlan (SP?) down by Bara de Navidade. Only because we were staying there for the winter. Because I already had an active U.S. license, all I had to do was take the test on their computer. They did not have an English version at the time, so I had to take it in Spanish. The inspector was standing beside me, and he knew that I could read spanish, but at a slower pace. Question 1 & 2 I did myself. He could tell that I was taking a little long, so he gave me the answers for the next two questions. But, he must have been in a hurry, because he just punched in the rest of the answers for the rest of the test. I passed. Got my Mexico license at no additional cost. No mordidas, No tips, no bribes.

LUZMA is the best

she helped me and may wife, with drivers license renewal and IMSS renewal

IMSS was supposed to be easy, but luzma saw that they put the wrong birthdate on my wifes IMSS and had charged a lower fee, thank god for she is fluent in Spanish and was born in mexico.  she got it fixed and IMSS was slow fixing it

Just returned from Chapala City Hall ( Secretary Generals office ) with all the needed copies and the receipt for license payment of $558 pesos. Will pick up new license on Friday at the auditorium. Wham, bam thank you maam. No problem.    

2 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Just returned from Chapala City Hall ( Secretary Generals office ) with all the needed copies and the receipt for license payment of $558 pesos. Will pick up new license on Friday at the auditorium. Wham, bam thank you maam. No problem.    

Did you have to do a written or driver's test?

On 2/3/2017 at 5:41 PM, mhopkins2 said:

My wife and I engaged the services of Luzma Grande of Ajijic to drive us to Guad and back and guide us through the different stations.  We were both getting first time licenses for both automobile and motorcycle.  This requires 2 sets of papers and you receive 2 licenses.  Because we're over the age of 60, she guided us to the fronts of all lines talking to whomever was in charge of that station.  She also got us an interpreter for the exam station.  Because our Oregon licenses had motorcycle endorsements, both the car (parking) and motorcycle tests were waved.  She said for 1 person getting 1 license, the usual time from Ajijic back to Ajijic is about 4 hours.  She made the task so much easier than if we'd tried to do this on our own.  She charges $500mx for the trip plus $150/hour.  I highly recommend Luzma to make this a much easier, close to pain free, task.  Her email is ajijicconcierge at gmail.com and office number is (376) 766 1562. . 

Question for anyone, particularly those who got their license in Guad, was there an eye exam involved? 

3 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Any idea if they are going to being doing this again on Wednesday or if this was a 1-day shot? Will the tests be on Friday? 

Also, how did you hear about this? My telepathy channel must be out. :-/ 

Archived