Chapala.com Webboard

What Should Seguro Popular Registered Clients Carry?

Mainecoons

My partner and I signed up for Seguro Popular last spring.  We had a single sheet of paper with both our names on it.  A few days ago, he was taken into the Jocotopec hospital for surgery.  All he had to show was the sheet of paper, and his resident visa.  They made copies of everything there.  He's still there now, so I'm not sure if we'll get a type of 'passport' book that will show dates and what treatments we've had.  I haven't had to use it yet (fingers crossed).

But, I must tell you that in the Seguro Popular hospitals, you either need to stay with the patient yourself, or hire a caregiver.  That is the rule at least for sure at the Jocotopec hospital, and I believe any of the others as well.  This includes staying overnight if necessary, because if the doctors need particular medications for the patient, they'll send the spouse or caregiver to the pharmacy to pick them up.  

At the Jocotopec hospital, I needed to show my resident visa as well, just to be able to get in to visit my partner.  They have very good security there.  

Usually the booklet and original sign up form plus copy of signup form is all that is required.  We get mixed reports about having to go to a clinic, most people we sign up say when they go they are told not necessary.  They have run low on booklets for certain age groups so they maybe take a few weeks or more to get after signing up. 

14 hours ago, Argus said:

Suegarn, thank you for this information. When you talk about sending the spouse or caregiver to the pharmacy, is the pharmacy in the hospital? Or do you mean a stand alone pharmacy like Farmacia Guadalajara?

The hospital in Jocotopec doesn't have a pharmacy onsite.  You have to go down the street to the Farmacia Guadalajara, which is about 1 km east of the hospital.

I am sorry...Sue....there is pharmacia in the Joco hospital. It is not open at night and it only carries meds within the Segura Popular system. There is also one at the Segura clinic in Joco with a less than friendly clerk. To use either one...you must have a contract and a prescription form stamped by the Doctor and the clinic. You sign all the copies and they keep two and give you one back for your records. So far as I know there is zero english spoken at either office. The one in the hospital is unmarked...enter the main door and turn right and along the wall are three windows...look in and you will see meds on shelves at the third window.

5 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

I am sorry...Sue....there is pharmacia in the Joco hospital. It is not open at night and it only carries meds within the Segura Popular system. There is also one at the Segura clinic in Joco with a less than friendly clerk. To use either one...you must have a contract and a prescription form stamped by the Doctor and the clinic. You sign all the copies and they keep two and give you one back for your records. So far as I know there is zero english spoken at either office. The one in the hospital is unmarked...enter the main door and turn right and along the wall are three windows...look in and you will see meds on shelves at the third window.

Well that's very strange.  My partner has been in the hospital all week, and we are covered by Seguro Popular.  But yesterday, they gave me a list of medications needed before his surgery, and I had to pick them up from Farmacia Guadalajara and pay for them myself!

On 2/2/2017 at 11:08 AM, CHILLIN said:

I don't really know. Hire a medical facilitator and ask these questions. I think a SEMA passport is still necessary. Private medical care has become extremely expensive locally. While you might need for emergency, they are also extremely capable of dealing with common senior ailments, such as falls, gall bladder removal, hernias, chronic arthritis - all those things which make aging such a blessful experience. The Seguro Popular cuts into their "senior" program at the age 60 and above. You might have to pay a small amount if you are under 60. You may have to pay for some prescriptions, especially if you want non-generic for example. You want titanium screws in your knee replacement - extra. You want a fancy European pacemaker or cataract lens, instead of the ones SP buy in bulk purchase - extra.

If your gall bladder punks out on you, and you are in excruciating pain, you are not going back to the U.S.A. - the choice is a $7 - 10,000 U.S. operation in a Guadalajara private hospital, or free in the same size Jocotepec hospital, $450 U.S. extra if you want the surgeon to rent the "no cut" equipment.

It is $4000 pesos for the laparoscopic machine. Make sure you bring your own pain killers.

Have handy 3 copies of  the SP membership, 3 of your IDs such as passport and resident card, maybe 3 copies of your CURP. The card SP gives you for appointments is large. Pickup a large manila type envelop and keep all the papers in it. Maybe keep an envelop at home and one in the car. You can be admittted for emergency treatment and show the office the membership info later.

22 hours ago, suegarn said:

Well that's very strange.  My partner has been in the hospital all week, and we are covered by Seguro Popular.  But yesterday, they gave me a list of medications needed before his surgery, and I had to pick them up from Farmacia Guadalajara and pay for them myself!

The pharmacy has very basic medicines. Most prescriptions you will need to purchase at a commercial pharmacy.

15 hours ago, Joco said:

The pharmacy has very basic medicines. Most prescriptions you will need to purchase at a commercial pharmacy.

Not ture, SP pharmacies have an extensive list of medicines available and growing rapidly.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seguropopular.org%2F&edit-text=&act=url

This list is older but they are now at 280+ treatments total. Treatment means diagnosis and medicines or surgeries for the illnesses.

6 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Not ture, SP pharmacies have an extensive list of medicines available and growing rapidly.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seguropopular.org%2F&edit-text=&act=url

This list is older but they are now at 280+ treatments total. Treatment means diagnosis and medicines or surgeries for the illnesses.

My answer was to a comment that the Joco hospital doesn't have a pharmacy. The Joco hospital pharmacy only has basic, mostly OTC meds.  It  has antibiotics but a small selection. The Joco hospital is not a full service hospital. Have you been to this hospital?

Archived