Chapala.com Webboard

Fishing the lake for...

ned small

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Jabonera said:

I also do not eat beef here.  Or pork, and especially not the chicken.  I can SEE with my eyes how unhealthy they are.  Instead, I'm opting for goat, rabbit, & lamb, along with wild-caught salmon & flounder.  I don't use the pasteurized milk or cheeses, either, preferring natural raw milk and raw milk cheeses for their health value.  I'd venture to say I'd prefer eating rat meat (raised hygienically) to beef, pork, or chicken here.  It'd definitely be more healthy than meat shot full of hormones & antibiotics.  They call it "household deer" in China and it's a staple.  Very tasty as well.

I'm surprised you eat anything at all. Your choices of alternate foods are actually pretty weird, being complicated by so many, many solid reports of danger to health. As for diary, there are reasons the products evolved as they have. The best I ever heard about rat meat was "we catch our rats in the countryside, not the sewers".

However, eat what you will, doesn't affect me. You and I will die about the same time anyway, most likely, but in the meantime I will have eaten a ton of carcigenous grilled ribeyes, and leave with a smile on my face.

I have nothing against beef, pork, or chicken!  Believe me, sir, when I have a situation again where I can raise my own meat, I WILL be doing so!  There's nothing like all grass-fed beef, for sure!  But the chickens are way too GMO-corn yellow here.  When I can raise my own birds, I will eat them.

I grew up in the American SW desert (Mogollon Canyon Rim) where we had not enough grass for cattle.  We raised sheep & goats, chickens & a couple pigs.  We ate what we grew & composted our poo, thus completing the "circle of life."  I gained a keen understanding of the anatomy & health of livestock & a huge respect for them.  Once you have had your own organic meats, you just don't care for the taste of mass-produced CAFO meats.  I can taste the adrenaline in mass-killed meats and I don't like it.  When I kill my own meat & butcher at home, it does not have that "off" flavor that even survives cooking.

And yes, I agree with you - nothing better than a nice, juicy NATURAL ribeye served "bien jugoso" with a cold beer!  Puts a smile on my face every time.

But when I know & can see the visible difference in the muscle tissue & fat distribution because of what & how the animal has been fed & the stresses it has lived under (feeding competition, etc.), I'll pass until I can raise my own again.

BTW - yes, I'm weird.  I enjoy fried grasshoppers (yellow ones are tastier than the brown), ants, grubs, beetles, etc., but not earthworms...  In my childhood on the reservation, my grandmother would make fried grasshoppers with molasses - what a treat!  Later in life, I learned to eat insects in Asia, where they are considered a delicacy.  Donkey is delicious and, to me, much better flavor than beef.  But where is donkey at the butcher's?  Mule & burro are similarly tasty.  Viable options for me, all of them.  Ditto the cui (guinea pigs) of Peru...  As for rat, much better the country than the sewer, but can you take their word?  I'd rather build my own rattery & raise them myself.  But, since they taste like rabbit, why not just by rabbit?  It's so cheap, it's hardly worth the work involved raising them unless one wants the pelts.

To each his own.  I honor my grandmother by keeping her dietary traditions vis-a-vis respect for the Earth & respect for my body & what I put into it.  She died easily and peacefully at age 102, healthy to the end.  In our family, we live a long time.  I want to be healthy & useful while I live, and go quickly & easily when my time comes, as she did.  Living lightly on the back of Mother Earth is part of this.  Avoiding becoming confused & ill through eating the wrong things is part of this.

Mitake oyasin...  Aho.

2 hours ago, Jabonera said:

I appreciate the difference in the states of the fish in the above pictures.  I was not referring to the reddish tint that affects the whole body...  That is a normal stress reaction common in many fish - red-tailed catfish, arapuima, and other species.  What I was referring to specifically, were the small areas around the eyes, fins & vent which are reddened.  In my days as fishkeeper, fish found with these signs were removed from the general population to isolation tanks until recovered... and/or destroyed if recovery was not feasible.

In the southern US, many of our rivers are heavily polluted with mercury and PCBs.  I don't give a damn how healthy you feel you are, those are not desirable substances to be ingesting.  Ergo, during my years as a Bassin' Gal, I would fish tournaments, & for private diversion, but personally chose to catch & release.

Far from telling others what to ingest, I only state my personal opinion based on my experience in fishing & fish farming in various countries around the world (Thailand, Australia, USA, South America).  Until one understands fish biology & their physical necessities, how can one judge their state of health?  Most def not by just looking.

After the BP dog & pony show, media says, "C'mon down & enjoy our Southern hospitality," (referring to New Orleans & several restaurants famous for their oysters & crabs)...  Not on your life, man!  I have fished the rivers & have seen with my own eyes the crap INSIDE the blue crabs...  No WAY would I wanna eat that; in fact, I didn't even like handling it.  To compound the problem, blue crab larvae form the bottom rung of the food chain for thousands of other species in the GOM...  Um, that WERE in the GOM.

But the US goobermint, in its great wisdom, has decided all is fine & good.  So yeah...  The whole thing never happened, folks...  Go back to sleep.  But first, reserve your holiday house on Gulf Shores...  Right.

In the end, life's a crapshoot.  But it does help to inform yourself so you are able to make intelligent decisions.

I also do not eat beef here.  Or pork, and especially not the chicken.  I can SEE with my eyes how unhealthy they are.  Instead, I'm opting for goat, rabbit, & lamb, along with wild-caught salmon & flounder.  I don't use the pasteurized milk or cheeses, either, preferring natural raw milk and raw milk cheeses for their health value.  I'd venture to say I'd prefer eating rat meat (raised hygienically) to beef, pork, or chicken here.  It'd definitely be more healthy than meat shot full of hormones & antibiotics.  They call it "household deer" in China and it's a staple.  Very tasty as well.

Bon appetit.

rat.jpg

cooked-rat-rodent-dinner-thailand-exotic-food.jpg

No, no, no, no, NO!!!

NOT grilled!  Even a fat rat don't got enuf fat for that!

Think stewed - low heat, moisture...  Rat pot pie or rattatoie...

You cook it like rabbit.

Cook a rabbit on a grill & your teeth will bounce back at  you!

Geez!  Some things ain't made for grilling!

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Jabonera said:

No, no, no, no, NO!!!

NOT grilled!  Even a fat rat don't got enuf fat for that!

Think stewed - low heat, moisture...  Rat pot pie or rattatoie...

You cook it like rabbit.

Cook a rabbit on a grill & your teeth will bounce back at  you!

Geez!  Some things ain't made for grilling!

:lol:

I have had rabbits of all kinds mainly as hasenpfeffer  but once I BBQ'D a nice big jack and my teeth didn't bounce back nor did my guests. Rabbits and upland birds I hung until the skin was green and slimy as do the best restaurants. I did that in the basement without the benefit of restaurants fine food lockers with controlled temp.

sometimes I like my meat crisp like that rat. The bbq'd jack was  moist and tender at high heat and medium rare and I used Jim Beam sauce to keep the moisture in and wrapped the loin and hind legs in bacon. I never bothered with the front legs.Give me a wild rabbit any day even though they all have tape worms.

Jabonera, you are one interesting person. Me, I was raised differently and that is my lot in life, I'm afraid. But for longevity, my Riley spaghetti sauce is going to keep me going long after my peers have shuffled off. I think of it as highly preventive meds, and it is made with ground beef from whatever unlucky bovine got taken in that day.

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Jabonera, you are one interesting person.

CG - you don't know the half of it. Only a State as big as Texas could turnout a Melanie - and even then, she would be the only one! She could easily outfish, outhunt, outshoot, and ride the big boy bikes more than Pedro - he would either be POed - or fall in love.

• 1 month later...

There is one in Chapala also. If you buy a house in La Reserva in West Ajijic they have storage facilities for boats.

On 4/6/2017 at 2:33 PM, Jabonera said:

Brucelosis is common here and found in unpasteurized milk and cheese.  That "natural" raw milk will make you very sick and if not caught in time it's incurable.  You might give your milk choices another look-see.

I'm very careful what and where I eat but I got Brucellosis last fall so be careful what you are putting in your mouth.

5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Brucelosis is common here and found in unpasteurized milk and cheese.  That "natural" raw milk will make you very sick and if not caught in time it's incurable.  You might give your milk choices another look-see.

I' m not surprised that none of you have partaken of pajaretes. You get to draw the milk for it totally fresh from the source and thousands have lived to tell the tale including me and a lot of my friends who are even foreigners.

Archived