Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for volunteers to eat and give your opinion………

At La Media Luna we are thinking about offering Montréal Style Smoked Meat (Sandwiches.) 
We are looking for 4 true connoisseurs of Montréal Smoked Meat.  Specifically people that have eaten it many times or has grown up eating it. (The purpose of this is to see if this would be a good addition to our menu.)
Once we find the volunteers, later in March we will invite them to La Media Luna for a free lunch with refreshments in exchange for an honest opinion and critique of the flavor and the presentation.
We will also discuss the size of the sandwich, the price point that is thought the local expats would pay and compare it to the cost of making the sandwich. So discretion is a must and would be greatly appreciated.  
Please PM us for consideration and let us know how familiar you are with Montreal Style Smoked Meats and how many times or years you’ve eaten it. 
Once we find the four volunteers we will keep you informed and make arrangements for the day and time of the lunch. 

Sincerely, La Media Luna 

On 2/1/2017 at 5:56 PM, jrod said:

OMG! Grew up on these but in no way an expert. Might tourtieres (meat pies) be next? YUM!

I'm not familiar with tortoise. At La Media Luna our main focus on food is smoked (some cured) and then use to make sandwiches.  

We're thinking sometime in the future we'll be offering to take home smoked heat and serve ribs and chicken.

In a few months we'll have Coppa, Culatello, Pancetta and starting next December we'll have Prosciutto. Although it is not typical some of the products aren't normally smoked we should have smoked and none smokes varieties.  

"Take home smoked heat"? Alright!

You will now be bombarded with info about tourtiere pies, basically a ground pork pie created in Quebec four or five hundred years ago. I would call it po-folk food, which gained aristocracy over the years as people discovered how good it can be. However, it is also notable in my personal eating history as often being terrible: overcooked, dry, with god-awful crust.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, ComputerGuy said:

"Take home smoked heat"? Alright!

You will now be bombarded with info about tourtiere pies, basically a ground pork pie created in Quebec four or five hundred years ago. I would call it po-folk food, which gained aristocracy over the years as people discovered how good it can be. However, it is also notable in my personal eating history as often being terrible: overcooked, dry, with god-awful crust.

Sorry but we don't bake just don't have the equipments or the knowledge. We're starting out slow sticking with smoked meats and in the future some other things that will have to do with cured and/or smoked meats.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've sent a PM to Media Luna, since I rarely am in that part of town, to see what happened. I have never heard back after our intial meeting. I have to assume the project reached a dead end, or we'd all be chomping down fabulous Montreal-style smoked meat sandwiches by now...

Archived