Chapala.com Webboard

tortillas de harina

Stymie

I was going to add nopal and other things, but not knowing the proper names, felt it wasn't worth it. And I knew you would come to my rescue. Maybe from here on I will just not say anything and wait for your learned responses; save a little face.

CG - have you tried the new Mexican food vendor in the Centro Laguna food cart. The have a handmade corn tortilla called a "sandal" in English. Someone will know the right name. These thick, handmade corn tortillas, you would probably like. You choose your topping from a wide variety of possibilities. I had the "lengua" - tongue, it was delicious. Everything they have there is great.

Sandals are a funny thing in Mexican culture - a mother can throw a sandal at a misbehaving child with deadly accuracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH5rkSG_Hqk

No, have not tried her yet, although have heard good reports. Sounds like a good idea, and thanks. Is it a huarache, maybe? Interesting that the big burrito place on the highway to Guadalajara has stopped serving lengua, now that I've discovered I really like it, because it has gotten too costly. (Chicken wings are sure to follow, but at least you get two per bird.)

CG, that's it--huarache.  It's made of corn masa, toasted on the griddle (or sometimes fried briefly), then loaded with whatever toppings are available.  It's about the length and shape of the sole of that kind of shoe. 

huarache.jpg

Chelita spells it Guarache. 49 pesos. Had a very nice chilaquiles con huevos breakfast there. I could see they were working very hard preparing all fresh ingredients for the day. Sort of between Mexican restaurant and family style cooking - all in an outdoor food court setting. Nice tortilla bowl/salad and sopa azteca. Check it out.

I tried to take a picture of her antique huarache press and a big ball of fresh masa - but I don't think it turned out. I can work my Nikon digital SLR, but not the smart phone camera!

Archived