Chapala.com Webboard

Question About Postal Service

Wookie

Over the past decade 2 small packages sent USPS/Mex mail have not arrived.

I blamed the Mex Mail, however, Amazon shipped 2 packages USPS to my daughter in the states and neither ever arrived, so it could be the USPS

15 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I haven't sent any tax slips for the last ten years... I E-File.. I believe if you go the grc-my account website you can access your OAS and CPP forms, I don't do this myself because I get my kids to scan and email me forms.

NR4s are not accessible on grc-my account.  If you are a non-resident of Canada and filing as a resident you may owe Canada some unpaid taxes. Ouch. You don't want to be found filing a fraudulent return. The last person I know of Lakeside who got caught in 2015 still owes CRA 15,000.00 CDN. That on an income of less than 20,000.00 per year. CRA has no heart. They can also track your movements and can determine if you spend at least 183 days in Canada each year to qualify as a full time resident.

BTW. Efile is a designation for Professional Tax Preparers requiring significant qualifications. If you filed yourself it is Netfile. If you used  the services of a preparer who visits Lakeside annually and may work without an appropriate visa they can lose their efiler designation and I will willingly report them for filing  fraudulent returns. As a qualified efiler in Canada I efiled some 1500 tax returns a year. I am legally entitled to work in Mexico and I pay my Mexican and Canadian taxes.

I have been involved in the Canadian tax mire for 27 years

17 hours ago, Frijoles said:

So, you've been able to file your taxes without the original tax slips? Are you filing as non-residents? Thanks.

Yes to both. You do not have to file original slips. But CRA can ask to see them if tax has been deducted.

28 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you are non - resident. You don't get OAS . Therefor no tax slip... Is that correct..?

AS a non-resident you do get OAS you don't get supplement. OAS is determined by the # of years in Canada after age 18

Where are you getting your incorrect information?

58 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you are non - resident. You don't get OAS . Therefor no tax slip... Is that correct..?

That is totally incorrect. I and all my Canadian friends that are over 60 get OAS and CPP. Even Mexicans who went to Canada on 2 year work visas were deducted for CPP and will be eligible to collect it when they turn 60 but not OAS because as David says,they weren't in Canada long enough.

It seems there are 2 separate threads here, one about taxes, one about shipping to Mexico. Is it possible for the moderators to divide these posts into "Shipping to Mexico" and "Canadian Expat Taxes", for those of us who can't keep 2 subjects in our brain at the same time without getting a headache? If the mods can't do this, will the original posters start new SEPARATE subjects, please? And no, if you are wondering, as a child I did not require that my mashed potatoes not touch my chicken.This separation thing is only because I am old now, and easily confused and sometimes I have to sit down with a cold towel on my head while whimpering. and that's BEFORE I read the NYT and the Huff Post!

Archived