Chapala.com Webboard

Question About Postal Service

Wookie

Question:  has anyone ever ordered merchandise (clothes) on line where the company uses a carrier service that delivers the package to the post office here for delivery?  This is the way this company that I want to order some clothes from handles their international shipments and I am concerned that once the merchandise reaches the postal service (I am not sure where in Mexico they drop it) that it may not make it to our door.   .... Anyone have any experience with this?

rvanparys, I googled America Ship Laredo Tx. and didn't come up with anything that looks like what you are talking about.  Is there a local office?  How do I set up an account with them?  I don't mind paying the 16% but my mail service requires us to pay 50% of whatever the cost of the merchandise if they pick it up and bring it to Ajijic.  I think 50% is just a little steep.

Wookie: The website is www.america-ship.com... Our rug came via Estafeta right to our front door... Amazon  will ship some items but not all to Mexico. America Ship offers a viable alternative.

I`ve had dozens of items shipped directly to my mail addresses in Chapala, Riberas, Ajijic for 5 years.  All have arrived.  If items are too large for the motorcycle bags the mail carriers use or you are not at home, they will post a notice at your door for you to collect your package at the Correo office nearest you. Or you can rent a box at the Correo office.  It takes a month or so for shipments to get to the local post office.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, rvanparys said:

We are having excellent service from America Ship in Laredo TX. We pay the 16% VAT and shipping which still makes it cheaper than purchasing from Amazon MX or other Mexican outlets.

Have you used America Ship to have any mail forwarded? I'm trying to find a way to get my tax slips, etc. from Canada. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Frijoles said:

Have you used America Ship to have any mail forwarded? I'm trying to find a way to get my tax slips, etc. from Canada. Thanks.

My friends and I get our tax forms and T4's by mail to our boxes in Chapala. The only problem the last 2 years has been the T4's from OAS and CPP, so what we do is phone Service Canada and they tell us over the phone so that we can meet the deadline. Since it happens to more than one,it appears to be an OAS and CPP problem not mailing on time and not the postal services. Other T4's are timely.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, rvanparys said:

We are having excellent service from America Ship in Laredo TX. We pay the 16% VAT and shipping which still makes it cheaper than purchasing from Amazon MX or other Mexican outlets.

I used America Ship a couple of times, a little complicated at first but figureable outable.  The last things I ordered came in 2 boxes.  Only one box arrived and when I asked when the other box would arrive I was told it couldn't be found and since nothing is insured it was my loss.  Too bad.  Never again.

I have things shipped from Ebay all the time, most no shipping fee and never paid duty, they ship directly to my home. Make sure you are friends with your mailman and he will take good care of you!!

I ordered something that was delivered using this method. The only thing that bothered me was that when the item was handed over to the PO, one could no longer track the item. However it was delivered  intact but a bit longer than anticipated.

If it is a small package I go get it at the Post Office the carriers in our postal code work out of at 9AM and they give it to me. I was there this morning and saw about 1000+ small packages and large envelopes stacked everywhere to the ceiling. Letters get delivered to our house. These guys don´t have room for them on their bicycles and motor scooters, obviously.

They do track international mail on this website right to when it is sent to the local post office in your ZIP code.

http://www.17track.net/es/track?nums=RU480692666CH

2017-02-02 23:07

Centro de Clasificación Internacional 26, En tránsito hacia destino

2017-02-02 22:26

Centro de Clasificación Internacional 26, Recepción en Oficina de Correos

2017-01-25 14:20

Oficina Operativa BJ REG IMP, CDMX, En tránsito hacia destino [ADUANA Mexican Customs]

2017-01-18 20:51

MEXICO, En zona de intercambio int. en el país destino, previo Aduana

País de origen - Tiempo Transcurrido: 1211 ms
2017-01-18 20:51

MXMEXD, Arrival at border point in the destination country

2016-11-28 19:19

Asendia Hong Kong, The consignment has left the origin border point

Asendia Hong Kong, Arrival at origin border point

Asendia Hong Kong, Mailed"

Then go to: The below website of Correos de Mexico to get the info. where your package is. Once it says " En tránsito hacia destino" wait about a week and go  to the local post office in your ZIP code to get it. This was sent regular mail, not certified.

http://www.correosdemexico.gob.mx/ServiciosLinea/Paginas/cemsmexpost.aspx

Fecha Hora Origen Evento
02/02/2017 23:07:00 Centro de Clasificación Internacional 26 CDMX En tránsito hacia destino
02/02/2017 22:26:00 Centro de Clasificación Internacional 26 CDMX Recepción en Oficina de Correos
25/01/2017 14:20:00 Oficina Operativa BJ REG IMP, CDMX En tránsito hacia destino
18/01/2017 20:51:00 MEXICO

En zona de intercambio int. en el país destino, previo Aduana

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Alfa said:

I ordered something that was delivered using this method. The only thing that bothered me was that when the item was handed over to the PO, one could no longer track the item. However it was delivered  intact but a bit longer than anticipated.

See the above post of mine for details on how to track regular mail once it is in Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Andi said:

Has anyone tried having a large 16x18x6 box shipped to Ajijic from the USA? Is it more likely not to make it?

I had a box that size shipped a few times directly to my house in Riberas successfully.  Correo brought it or if I wasn`t home, left a note to pick it up at their office.

Estafeta has a company with an office in Laredo that is for importing goods. The name is Merkalink. They will let you set up an account and give you an address at no charge. They handle all customs clearance and and collect the 16% tax. You can track the package with Estafeta online. I even ordered a fireplace insert and they were able to handle it. Delivered to my door.

On 2/9/2017 at 8:55 AM, ned small said:

My friends and I get our tax forms and T4's by mail to our boxes in Chapala. The only problem the last 2 years has been the T4's from OAS and CPP, so what we do is phone Service Canada and they tell us over the phone so that we can meet the deadline. Since it happens to more than one,it appears to be an OAS and CPP problem not mailing on time and not the postal services. Other T4's are timely.

Ned is correct. The last 2 years have been bad for NR4s from Canada especially Service Canada (OAS & CPP). Some people have never received them and I have been forced to file returns based on the previous years amounts plus the actual percentage increase for the tax year. OAS is a fixed amount so it is easy to calculate. Take the total of deposits to your bank account. deduct from the fixed OAS amount and the difference is the tax deducted. For private pensions contact the payer and ask if they will fax or email their NR4 to you. The alternative is to change your mailing address to a family member for them to scan and email to you. Ishop and Mail also has a general delivery type account where you pay per item received. I imagine Handy Mail and Sol y Luna do the same.

1 hour ago, dave0415 said:

Ned is correct. The last 2 years have been bad for NR4s from Canada especially Service Canada (OAS & CPP). Some people have never received them and I have been forced to file returns based on the previous years amounts plus the actual percentage increase for the tax year. OAS is a fixed amount so it is easy to calculate. Take the total of deposits to your bank account. deduct from the fixed OAS amount and the difference is the tax deducted. For private pensions contact the payer and ask if they will fax or email their NR4 to you. The alternative is to change your mailing address to a family member for them to scan and email to you. Ishop and Mail also has a general delivery type account where you pay per item received. I imagine Handy Mail and Sol y Luna do the same.

As I mentioned you can get the T4 numbers over the phone for OAS and CPP from Service Canada,been there done that 2 years now and would expect to do the same this year but haven't received my tax forms yet even.

3 hours ago, Frijoles said:

So, you've been able to file your taxes without the original tax slips? Are you filing as non-residents? Thanks.

I haven't sent any tax slips for the last ten years... I E-File.. I believe if you go the grc-my account website you can access your OAS and CPP forms, I don't do this myself because I get my kids to scan and email me forms.

Archived