Chapala.com Webboard

Spa recommendation in San Jual Cosala

Lexy

As a true, devoted spa junkie, I can highly recommend THE Balneario at San Juan.  It is a large facility with several different areas.  THE Balneario, the largest one, is situated right on the lake with 2 large pools that are quite warm all year around, 2 fabulous jacuzzis with strong jets and great views, a therapeutic soaking pool, plus smaller pools mostly for kids.  For an extra fee, there is also the Spa Tlalocan whose entrance is on the lakeside of the largest pool, meaning you pay to enter the balneario first.

The Spa Tlalocan has a pre-hispanic, healing, very relaxing ambience, and minors under 18 are not permitted.  There are several excellent very well-engineered jacuzzis with bubbles for relaxing plus a gritty mud "bath" that is like a facial for your entire body.  Also available are several types of massage plus a natural steam bath called a Temezcal.  This extra program takes 2.5 - 3 hours and is very relaxing.  

All the jacuzzis are shaded for mid-day use.  The pools are not, so watch your sun exposure!  Food and drinks are available or you can bring a picnic lunch if you like.  

I say "THE" Balneario because there are smaller hotels nearby with much smaller spa facilities.  

Lexie - ezpz is spot on about THE balneario and Spa Tlalocan - a wonderful experience - not to be missed. To add to your adventures, I recently tried the thermal/mineral pool at the Monte Carlo Hotel (in Chapala).  It was fun - a delightful afternoon.  The pool could be a bit warmer for my taste, but that's just me.  There's a fun group of Mexicans, Europeans, Canadians, and Americans who appear to go with some regularity.  The peacocks roam freely on the beautiful grounds, and will come right up to your chaise lounge to check out what's going on.  There's a long pier out to the lake that lets you see it from "the backdoor."  There's a huge pool that will be wonderful to visit when things warm up.  The bathrooms/changing rooms were spotlessly clean.  You can take food and beverages - though neither can be taken into either pool - must remain on the sidelines - plus there's a bar and restaurant right there.  Both my son and I swore that we had far fewer aches and pains that night and the next day.  The best part: $100MP per person for all-day access.

la esposa de Tomas

Interesting, la esposa de Tomas!  I went to the Monte Carlo hotel several times last year, including about two months ago, and it was only 50 pesos for a day pass.  A one hundred percent increase in the price of a day pass in two months?  I know it's not much money, but it's the percentage of increase in the rate in such a short time.

Hola, I go to the Monte Carlo in the hot weather because the thermal water is not so hot as the Balneario.  It is also a lovely place without all the "extras" just a great swim and a hot soaking pool without jacuzzi jets. You need to bring your own water.

When I started going last year? it was 90 pesos.  Everything is going up, routine in January, but it's worse this year with the gas crisis.  That's why I have recommended in another thread giving raises to your employees and tipping and spending generously.  Remember, for us USians, 100 pesos is only $5USD, what a deal.  The prices are not going up as fast as the peso has devalued against the USD.  The devaluation means inflation for those living on a peso income.

It's been a few years since I've been to Monte Coxala, the spa on the hill in the Raquet Club.  I recall that there was no swimming pool, just various soaking pools with massage available and great views from up on the hill.  But it's much pricier than the other spas, very upper end.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, suegarn said:

Interesting, la esposa de Tomas!  I went to the Monte Carlo hotel several times last year, including about two months ago, and it was only 50 pesos for a day pass.  A one hundred percent increase in the price of a day pass in two months?  I know it's not much money, but it's the percentage of increase in the rate in such a short time.

In concurrence, I was told last week by someone who goes frequently that the fee is 50 pesos to use the mineral pool.

6 hours ago, ezpz said:

It's been a few years since I've been to Monte Coxala, the spa on the hill in the Raquet Club.  I recall that there was no swimming pool, just various soaking pools with massage available and great views from up on the hill.  But it's much pricier than the other spas, very upper end.

They do have a beautiful swimming pool now. Cost?

• 3 months later...

I just went to  the Montecarlo two days ago.

We said we were members of the "swim club" and the entrance fee was 50 pesos.  But two of our group came earlier, did not state this, and paid 100 and got a wrist band.  So that explains the price difference.  I have no idea what the "swim club" is - have been saying this for at least two years.  I thought this meant walk-in traffic, but apparently not.  

The big pool, down by the lake, is warm enough now and should be for a couple more months. Maybe 29  degrees.  Guessing.

A peahen was strolling with her five babies and daddy was displaying his colours nearby.  There was a lovely breeze and though it was almost 34 back home (Riberas) it was pleasant there.

We had lunch too and the food was fine.  All five said we would order again.

And a plus for me, short bus ride and it stops right at that corner.

Lexy the Balneario at San Juan Cosala should be perfect for them. By far better than the other nearby choice or the Monte Carlo. Just go in the main entrance from the carretera and turn left at the end of the block and park there. Many different pools and restaurants to choose from.

Archived