Chapala.com Webboard

What grade gas are you using, Honda Fit

dcstroker

On 1/29/2017 at 8:20 AM, dcstroker said:

Knowing that there are a lot of Honda Fit owners on here I have a question. We just got a new 2017 Fit and the salesman at the dealer told us to use premium gas and the owners manual also says to use 91 octane or better. The Honda Fit owners forum that I'm a member of says 87 should work fine. What grade are most of you using?

Our salesman also told us to just use the eco button around town then turn it off when on the freeway, so I'm not sure how much credence to give to what he told us.

You should check what the handbook recommends and perhaps take the salespersons advice. Some time back the top of the line BMW  model had trouble with loss of power etc., due to coking around the valves, caused by using lower octane gas. Part of that fix was to clean out the intake/exhaust valves with ground walnuts shells!!!!!

My mechanics (NOB) always advised me to do what the Owner's Manual said, as that was what the car performed best on, and had the least trouble.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:39 AM, RVGRINGO said:

You‘re correct in your statement.  However, it makes little difference with modern engines; especially if they are not stressed/driven hard.

Except for Premium in Mexico has better additives and stores in the tank better.  I store cars for folks off season and the Premium filled cars start up easier than ones filled with regular after six months sitting.  I run Premium in my old style Fit as it sits for long periods of time as it is our road car and we don't road much.

Honda Fits are made in Japan, Mexico and Brazil. Our old style fits here in Mexico were made in Brazil.  Old style fit in US came from Japan. 

Archived