Chapala.com Webboard

What grade gas are you using, Honda Fit

dcstroker

Knowing that there are a lot of Honda Fit owners on here I have a question. We just got a new 2017 Fit and the salesman at the dealer told us to use premium gas and the owners manual also says to use 91 octane or better. The Honda Fit owners forum that I'm a member of says 87 should work fine. What grade are most of you using?

Our salesman also told us to just use the eco button around town then turn it off when on the freeway, so I'm not sure how much credence to give to what he told us.

So are the engineers at Honda incorrect when they say use premium gas.. 

That engine has been built (Engineered) to run on premium gas, there is no way it will run as well on regular.. Especially under hard acceleration or heavy load...

To obtain the same performance as premium you proberly need to pump more gas in to the engine.. Therefore negating any savings you get from buying cheap gas... 

Improper octane will cause pinging. ...

Consequences of pinging

Pinging can lead to damage, or in the extreme case, destruction of pistons, bearings and valves. This would only happen in a situation where severe and prolonged pinging is allowed to continue. Please don't panic if you hear some pinging. Today's engines are very robust. Some pinging that occurs occasionally will not harm the engine.

http://www.hfitinfo.com/hofi-125.html

■ Fuel recomme

Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher

Use of lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocki

The U.S. car specs for the Fit are an 11.5 to 1 compression ratio, same as Mexico.  

As noted above, if regular doesn't run right in this car, you will definitely notice the knocking quickly.

Part of the reason for the higher octane recommendation might be to achieve the fuel economy and HP numbers cited by Honda.  My brother the car guy says this is a little trick the car manufacturers started using a little while back to make their numbers look better.  In fact, just about any standard non muscle car made these days will run fine on regular.  They just use a little more gas and may put out slightly less HP.  

Remember the main reason for higher octane fuels is for engines that need it to avoid pre-ignition (knocking).  If the car doesn't knock under hard acceleration it will be fine. 

We follow the instructions and use premium.  Since we drive mostly around here and fill up about once a month the cost hasn't been that bad.  We also used premium, however, on our recent trip to the States.  After reading posts above will still follow mfg recommendation.

Most modern cars designed for high octane will run with regular. The engine management will simply adjust the ignition timing to compensate. In my experience, you will lose some power and fuel economy, especially when you strain the engine (going up hills, hard acceleration). Up to you to determine if it that is acceptable.

Pete

All Honda Fits (any models) sold in Japan opt for regular gasoline;
Eng mdls: LEB 1.5L and L13B 1.3L(Hybrid) with 13.5 compression ratio, 
and L15B 1.5Lwith  11.5 compression ratio which I believe is available in Mexico.

The octane numbers are different by country, ex; premium should be higher than 96 and
regular over 89 in Japan. 

I think Honda in Mexico recommends premium gas for Fit is gas quality.
However, the premium gas engines usually have knocking sensors
to retard the ignition timing to adopt the regular gasoline usage.

Either will do.

Thanks for all the replies. For now I think I'll stick with premium. Primarily because that's what the owners manual says I should use. I would hate to have something happen to the engine, even though I don't think it will. and have Honda say "You didn't use the recommended grade". I know that in the U.S. regular is recommended. I am aware that different countries grade their gasoline differently but I haven't seen any data to show the difference between U.S. and Mx. fuels.

At least down here we only have one source to get our gasoline. In the states it gets really confusing with all the choices. Does it have ethanol? Is it a top tier gasoline? On some of the car forums people can get really obsessive about what gas to put in their cars.

1 hour ago, dcstroker said:

Thanks for all the replies. For now I think I'll stick with premium. Primarily because that's what the owners manual says I should use. I would hate to have something happen to the engine, even though I don't think it will. and have Honda say "You didn't use the recommended grade". I know that in the U.S. regular is recommended. I am aware that different countries grade their gasoline differently but I haven't seen any data to show the difference between U.S. and Mx. fuels.

At least down here we only have one source to get our gasoline. In the states it gets really confusing with all the choices. Does it have ethanol? Is it a top tier gasoline? On some of the car forums people can get really obsessive about what gas to put in their cars.

Your making the right choice.. There is a reason the manufacture specs premium.  

The vehicle will run better and better gas mileage when you stick with the manufactures specs...

I imagine that Honda recommends premium in Mexico and not in the US is probably because Pemex regular is not as good, octane-wise, as the US regular. Maybe regular is 89 in the US and 87 here (not sure of the actual numbers).

Pete

Off topic somewhat but curious since there seems to be a lot of sharp posters here.  I normally get about 28 mpg hwy in my CRV with Magna gas on a long trip to
Texas.  On a whim I put in the gas additive Akron once on the way up to Texas and my mileage jumped to 31.  After I arrived back in Mexico, without the additive the mpg plummeted to 21 mpg with local driving.  I reset the computer and then after about 2 full tanks of gas the mileage computer rose to around 26-28 again local driving.  I am curious if the Akron additive could have caused this wide swing.   So whatever I gained with the additive it seems I lost once the mileage computer tried to re-calibrate the fuel program.  Clear as mud right? Does anyone have any experience with a fuel additive like this in a newer car with a mileage trip computer.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

That surprised me so I went to the Honda website below....   says use REGULAR  in the Fit.  Yours is not a Turbo, no?

https://www.honda.ca/fit/specs

As I stated in my post the owner manual for Mexico says to use 91+ octane. From posts on the Honda Fit owners forum the U.S. manual calls for 87.

9 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

You do know that the American Honda Fit was built in Mexico? That most of the gasoline sold in this area was refined in Texas and that only the "corn syrup" was left out?

Boy, this topic gets more convoluted the more you look into it.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/u-s-sourced-gasoline-costs-pollutes-more/

And for those of you that add additives it seems that Techron is the best.

Archived