Chapala.com Webboard

the newest phone scam

jrm30655

If you have a US based phone, the latest scam goes like this:

Someone calls and says something then asks "can you hear me?"  If you answer "Yes", they will continue the conversation and you can end up with a phone purchase because they splice together a tape and use the "Yes" to show you approved the purchase.

Always something new to watch out for.....

2 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

If you have a US based phone, the latest scam goes like this:

Someone calls and says something then asks "can you hear me?"  If you answer "Yes", they will continue the conversation and you can end up with a phone purchase because they splice together a tape and use the "Yes" to show you approved the purchase.

Always something new to watch out for.....

Did this happen to you....?   How do the people doing this get any money from you..?

http://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/

" The "Can you hear me?" scam for now seems to be more a suggestion of a hypothetical crime scheme than a real one that is actually robbing victims of money. In messages we left with the BBC, the FTC, and the Consumer Federation of America, we asked a question absent from all the news reports we've encountered about this scam: "Are there any documented cases of people being victimized in this manner?" We have not yet received any affirmative response to those queries.'

I think this is one of these stories.  "I have a friend who knows somebody that has a friend who has a friend that works in a bar and overheard a conversation in the bar a few weeks ago"

It takes a lot more than you saying "Yes" over the phone to scam some money out of you..

Archived