Chapala.com Webboard

Deli 8

luvsdawgs

Xena said it: between Independencia and Gonzalez Gallo. If you know where iShop mail is, almost beside that store. There are traffic lights on the corner, and on the weekends they have a buffet, which I have not tried.

Thanks for anchoring the location better than I did, CG. 

What impresses me about this place is its longevity. It opened while I was living in SAT. I moved four years ago and it is still there. It opened with a limited menu and hours. It has slowly and steadily grown in a place where restaurants are born and die regularly. Their food is delicious and fairly priced. Well worth someone giving it a try.

IMO, they could use a location better than this one, on the middle of a sidewalk with pedestrians going by.  Very few indoor tables. Haven't tried it, for that reason.

Artsnob, you just can't resist the Chicka bit, can you?. Medal to you for being the top "pot stirrer" on here.:rolleyes:

I agree, Gringal. They could use a better location but also do well enough where they are. I think the same is true for Marco's El Rey in Chapala. They operate from a family home and so have a small nut to meet each month. I am assuming that is why they stay where they are. It also means they can keep their prices low and their quality high. Sometimes a "better location" just ruins everything.

16 minutes ago, Xena said:

I agree, Gringal. They could use a better location but also do well enough where they are. I think the same is true for Marco's El Rey in Chapala. They operate from a family home and so have a small nut to meet each month. I am assuming that is why they stay where they are. It also means they can keep their prices low and their quality high. Sometimes a "better location" just ruins everything.

You're quite right, and I am just being choosy about where I spend my eating out money.  It's a case of finding the right place without biting off more than they can chew. The way restaurants come and go, they may be a place that fits the bill for them without running them broke.  If I don't have to sit in the middle of pedestrian traffic, I'll be happy to be one of their first customers, but as it is, I'd rather cook t'home.  As it is, they seem to be finding plenty of customers less demanding than I, so good on them.

Thanks for posting about this restaurant again.  We finally decided to give it a go (we had been turned off by the location also).  We will be going back now that we tried it, however.  The food was excellent ... spouse had the fried shrimp that came with a small salad, vegetables, and rice.  There were 10 shrimp .. medium to large, nice thin batter and very well cooked.  I had the pancakes with eggs and bacon ... very good.  So glad we tried it .... also, Tony's fried chicken place is right next door and so easy to pick some up for an evening snack :) 

Archived