Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico City Article

CHILLIN

This was posted on another board. It is a well written, but lengthy piece about Mexico City and the many changes there. I am surprised that more young professionals from Canada, U.S.A., and Europe haven't moved to work and live there. It has become an exciting, vibrant, "happening" place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/travel/mexico-city-culture-childhood-new-awakening.html?hpw&rref=travel&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

On a recent trip to Guanajuato City, I met a few Mexico City residents visiting for the Christmas holiday, on short vacations, two were from Japan, both working in after market auto parts design, one was from China in IT  and the last was a Canadian , a traveler who landed there and likes it. Their biggest complaint: traffic. But other than that they enjoy the city.

The average age in Mexico as a whole is 25.8.  We're actually older than that, in the capital.

Chillin, I belong to a Facebook group--one of many for foreign-born people living in Mexico City.  That group alone has nearly 15,000 members, and it has a specific focus, so not representative of the huge number of young foreigners who live and work in the city.  Many, many international businesses send young employees--single millennials, young married people, couples with very young children, etc--to work for two years or so in Mexico City, then return to their countries of origin or are sent elsewhere.  People from every nation in the world make up part of our huge population.  Total population estimates of the metropolitan area are in the 23 million plus range, but no one knows for sure--we are too many to count!

Here are some statistics that you might find interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Mexico

What an incredible city, and culture. You are so lucky to be so close to it's soul (food,drink,friendship) - do you want to adopt an young(ish) Canadian son? Do the chilangos still respect their seniors, as in the small towns, or are they above that fray. Dam, I always go through this city boy versus country boy conflict.

Another opportunity for Mexico City (CDMX) to adopt some of the H1b visa holders from the U.S.A. The new (alleged) U.S. policy will only support H1b U.S. visas if they offer more than $100,000 per year salary and benefits. Seven countries of the world now banned, don't even think about it. A big mistake, but a good opportunity for Mexico. Maybe the next Carlos Slim. Maybe the jewel of Latin America. I wish I had "maybe" years to waste - but I do not. But still RAH, Rah, Rah, Mexico!

Somehow I doubt Mexico is going to embrace a program that has been used by NOB oligarchs to lay off better paid citizens in favor of foreigners who will work for less.  Mexico is pushing hard to educate a new class of technologically trained people.

Also, I doubt wages here are high enough to make this a profitable activity for the Mexican oligarchs.

:)

Archived