Chapala.com Webboard

Backlash

Earl

And you will see more and more of this and as I noted on social meeting anti American comments are very common. Now there is pressure on government from social media to increase expat visa requirements. In SMA the outcry on FB pages is growing. This anti-Americanism is not directed at any one person but out of fear, frustration and fierce pride. It is directed at the American government. It is like one has an issue at say WalMart and you take out your frustration etc with the cashier as that is the nearest person. When you have the leader of a country implying we are all thieves, lazy, rapists, drug addicts, etc people will strike back and they do so at the nearest person who is of that nationality.

http://time.com/4651464/mexico-donald-trump-boycott-protests/

I have never seen or heard of an expat having an issue by simply protesting. IN SMA there are many very active expats who are very involved in protests etc. This includes FB pages, newspaper articles, public demonstrations, publicly calling out government representatives, mayors, councillors etc. It is big myth.

And geesh cars.. you can have a foreign plated car here for all the years one is a tourist or TR. You think I can do that in Canada or the US? As to prices Mexican cars are now often cheaper and for expats thanks to exchange rates an out right bargain. Our 2014 Lincoln MKX with 13000 miles with every option 420000 pesos or about $17500 + tax very recently. In the US ten thousand more.

16% tax is IVA and is no different than the tax many states impose as well as Canadian provinces except one. Majority of Mexicans pay no income tax so there is a sales tax.

We order every week from Amazon.com and often on orders of $65 or more no tax and no shipping cost. I suggest those with an issue need to look at other sources. Mircrowave replacement tray shipping and import fee is 13.54 delivered from Amazon to your address in Mexico. And Extending Lives Mexico owned by Ross MacDonald would deliver from their address in Texas to SMA, Chapala, Qyeretaro, Oaxaca for $3.60 a pound, $7.20 total. Cheese with "whine" a little more. :-)

The countries taking the most immigrants are European thanks to the disaster created in the Middle East by people who should be tried for war crimes.

I do not understand how some who have so many complaints stay here? 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last political deportation I heard about, or was at least interested in, was a part time lecturer, in Chiapas. He was a citizen of Italy. He was a full blown Marxist, and was trying to incite the local peasants and workers to overthrow the government. The Mexican government wanted him out, and offered a voluntary departure order, so he could apply to re enter in a few years. No, he wanted a full blown, international scale, deportation hearing, a hero to the Marxist cause, and a media magnet in Mexico and Italy. Then immigration looked at his paperwork again, and found out he was one week late on renewing his work permit. He was back in Italy within a week! The were some protesters sent out at a WTO conference some while ago - but they all agreed to voluntary departure orders as well.

I lost internet and did not have a chance to clarify my earlier post.  In the first three incidents, I was engaged in a Spanish conversation with Mexicans in their place of employment.  In each incident, an American (s) came in and picked out one or two of the words in Spanish and then interrupted our conversations.  Each American was a male and they each assumed I spoke English so they gave me loudly their unsolicited opinions about their politics.  Some of my Mexican friends understand enough English to grasp what was said.  I listened but only replied "we can agree to disagree, but excuse me I am in conversation with my friend and not you."  Unfortunately, they did not want to end the conversation so I turned away and ignored them.  Things escalated and the Mexicans had some harsh words with these three men.  They were told to leave and in one instance, the store owner threatened to call the police.  I won´t repeat what the Mexicans told the Americans because it is definitely political. The backlash was not against me but the others.  I am not discounting that there has been backlash against some here.  However, some are bringing this on themselves.  We are guests in Mexico, if you want to be treated with respect, then learn to be polite and give respect. 

OK we did try several times to get this thread back on track, those of you who chafe at moderation please note that fact.

By and large it has been a good discussion but it isn't headed that way.  We know the two leaders are talking again so I suggest some waiting and watching is in order now.

Thanks to all of you who did make this an interesting thread.  I'm bending/breaking my own rule about not moderating threads I'm a serious participant in so if that upsets any of you, please feel free to complain to Admin.

Archived