Chapala.com Webboard

Backlash

Earl

We had a pretty informative, fact centered discussion going here until some of you started engaging in personalities and some whining.  If you have a problem with the thread, contact the Admin or one of the other moderators.  I try not to moderate threads I'm an active participant in.

Shall we return to discussing facts instead of each other and sniping at me when I'm wearing the moderator hat?  That would be nice.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Have you seen the numbers of murders in the U.S.?   I have checked my information, and the amount of murders in Mexico is much less.

Given how low the reporting of crime is in this country, how would anyone know what the real statistics are?

7 minutes ago, suegarn said:

That stat was from Nationmaster, not Reuters.

No, it's not.  Nowhere does it say that.

Prosecutors from Mexico's 31 states and Mexico City reported 17,013 murders last year, the fifth-highest figure in nearly two decades, Interior Ministry statistics showed. There were 15,653 murders reported in 2014.

The rate equates to about 14 murders per 100,000 people, higher than the U.S. rate of about five per 100,000 people, but below that of Mexico's Central American neighbors.

Many experts have said only a fraction of all crime in Mexico is reported. Drug cartels and other gangs are known to routinely buy off police to turn a blind eye to their operations, leading to widespread impunity and lack of trust.

The central state of Mexico, which encircles much of Mexico City, had the highest murder rate last year. In second place was Guerrero, a southwestern state where 43 trainee teachers were abducted last year and believed by government officials to have been massacred by a drug cartel in league with local police.

The number of kidnappings nationwide fell 24.5 percent from 2014, the lowest level since 2008, while extortion dropped 12.6 percent.

(Reporting by Anna Yukhananov; Editing by Peter Cooney)

4 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

I think that the picture illustrates the point that MC was making: Would Mexico stand for this type of march in their country with people marching with a flag from another country supporting illegals in Mexico? What do you think Mexico would do, and ask yourself, why doesn't the US do the same thing?

Sorry thiat is just not possible in Mexico, they have laws against forigners protesting, getting involved in politics and flying anther country's flag. Do not pass go, go to jail and await deportation. Shouldn't we have recipicol laws? Boy, would the USA be ahead if we deported foreign agitators and trouble makers.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I have always made the effort to chat with my Mexican friends and neighbors in espanol as much as possible about various topics of mutual interest, including the recent developments in the USA.  My opinions, as well as info that they were unaware of, have always been warmly received even by strangers, like when I walked home with a picket sign from the rally.  People were cheering me from cars and front steps. If they looked at me uncomprehendingly, I translated my sign for them.

The Mexican response to the March was very positive, no problems at all!  If a Mexican was knee-jerk rude to me as a USian over this issue, I would simply chat them up to diffuse the situation.  

6 minutes ago, geeser said:

Sorry thiat is just not possible in Mexico, they have laws against forigners protesting, getting involved in politics and flying anther country's flag. Do not pass go, go to jail and await deportation. Shouldn't we have recipicol laws? Boy, would the USA be ahead if we deported foreign agitators and trouble makers.

That's just something else in Mexican law I agree with and support.  It is not appropriate for guests to conduct political activities in their host country IMO.

6 minutes ago, geeser said:

It has often been said here by professional people that the Mexican law against foreigners getting involved in political issues, etc. refers to getting involved with MEXICAN politics, not those of their own country.  We are not allowed to vote or publicly support candidates in MEXICAN elections.  As I said above, the rally/march had a very positive response from the Mexican people who were present as well as bystanders on the streets.  Why do some keep trying to turn this into a problem??

11 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I have always made the effort to chat with my Mexican friends and neighbors in espanol as much as possible about various topics of mutual interest, including the recent developments in the USA.  My opinions, as well as info that they were unaware of, have always been warmly received even by strangers, like when I walked home with a picket sign from the rally.  People were cheering me from cars and front steps. If they looked at me uncomprehendingly, I translated my sign for them.

The Mexican response to the March was very positive, no problems at all!  If a Mexican was knee-jerk rude to me as a USian over this issue, I would simply chat them up to diffuse the situation.  

Well of course it was.  They agreed with you.  This country has had a great ride with the previous U.S. border policies, which are far, far more lax than those of this country.  Why wouldn't they want this to continue?  In their shoes, I sure would.  That is very rational on their part.

Unfortunately the folks on the other side of the line don't quite agree.  This situation was the #1 hot button in that election.  It is no accident the approval ratings are climbing in sync with the crack down.  As I noted previously, even the legal immigrants when polled have had enough of this situation.

I do not believe we help this situation by publicly denigrating the U.S. in front of our Mexican neighbors and demonstrating in the streets of Mexico.  That's my strong personal feeling about it regardless of what the actual issue might be at the time.

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Come on, surely you haven't missed the sense of entitlement many people here feel about the U.S. border.  Look at the picture again.  What has Mexico done to stop it?  Nothing.

What would happen if we did this in this country?

Image result for Mexicans demonstrating in U.S. pictures

What is this photo of?

5 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

I think that the picture illustrates the point that MC was making: Would Mexico stand for this type of march in their country with people marching with a flag from another country supporting illegals in Mexico? What do you think Mexico would do, and ask yourself, why doesn't the US do the same thing?

What did I miss?  Where was it stated that this photo is of a demonstration supporting undocumented immigrants?  How is someone carrying a Mexican flag in the U.S. any different than other events where people celebrate their heritage?  For instance, St. Patrick Day parades and events celebrating Irish heritage?  Note that there are als U.S. flags in the photo. I do not understand what point Maine Coons is trying to make by posting this photo.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Me neither.  Just follow the law, come here legally with the resources to support myself and spouse and it was no problem at all.  

And have sufficient income. Same in U.S. but it is significantly more money, which is why it's known as an investor's visa.  Of course those immigrants to the U.S. are needed to going to be working in the fields harvesting food Americans will eat. It is the undocumented immigrants who do those kind of jobs that Americans generally won't do.

When staying with a friend in Denver a few years ago, I read a full page article in the weekend Denver Post about attitudes towards Mexicans there. One man they interviewed, born in Mexico but raised in the US and a US citizen, told the following story.

He was out mowing his large lawn one Saturday, when a car slowed down and stopped and the white driver leaned out the window and asked how much he charged for mowing lawns. The Mexican/American replied that he didn't mow lawns for a living, that he was a corporate accountant and this was his home. The white man then asked, But how much would you charge to mow my lawn?

I am afraid that this is pretty indicative of a large percentage of Americans' attitudes towards anyone not obviously white. Minorities are pigeonholed and all painted with the same brush. Now these attitudes have been legitimized by the results of the election, and if you haven't been reading about it, there has been a big upswing in public hate speech all over the US and Canada.

While Mexicans here may have some erroneous ideas about American and Canadian ex-pats, i.e. we're all rich, I have never encountered hatred or pigeonholing here based on one's nationality or heritage.

22 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

there are many zika cases in florida from honduras. one baby was born w/it, one million USD to care for life. saw the vid taken in the hospital. many TB cases especially from somolia. these people are very poor, never had good health care. they did not go through ellis island. keep up w/the plot. obama gave mexico 75 million usd to build that wall between mex its southern neighbor. hmmm. care to comment? do i have to teach you everything? the US wall will keep drugs gangs criminals out. theres an old website which reported all the murders&violent crimes from this element of people.  (from 2004 to 2008 immigration@humancost.org if its still up). this includes drunk driving, home invasions, ect. they keep coming back after being deported. (or a liberal judge gives them a few years, then they are out & dangerous). some of them did work in construction, like they do here. (the case in NYC from 2005 w/the boys from el salvador). 1000s of low&unskilled people do nothing but feed the refugee "industry". you think all the pregnant girls w/the toddlers are working? really? more gangs in boston/surrounding areas appeared after 2014 summer. agree w/ex pres fox, most border migrants now are NOT from mex, but central amer. he said mexico is doing much better, salaries are up. hes right, not that many want to work in the US these days. most expats here are just tooo cool for school. i mean why discriminate? criminals are people too. think of the drama when they come back? think of the juicy threads. they belong HERE, let mexico& cent amer handle it. thats why we the people won in the US. americans (hispanics & minorities too) stood up to the elites nato natfa media hollywood the corps academia, the globalists. nationalism is rising all over europe. get used to it. there will be a civil war in the US. bring it on. CNNs ratings will go thru the roof. youre upset about the la playa man? really?

Bennie2--I'm going to be very honest with you here--I do not read most of what you post for the simple reason that I find ut hard to wade through beacause it is hard to tell where sentences end and begin. Could you please use capital letters where required? 

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

;Exactly my point.  We don't have the right to feel entitled to anything here and vice versa.  At the same time, we make a very substantial financial contribution to this country and any consideration given for that is welcome.

And my other point is that the backlash NOB didn't occur in a vacuum.  This has been coming for a long time and it drove the last election, like it or not.

There's a reason for the backlash there, like it or not.  I can only hope cooler heads will prevail at some point.  It seems to me China, which runs a very big trade surplus with this country and a huge one with the U.S. should be of much greater concern.  

Why is Mexico importing manufactured goods from China that could and should be made here?  The trade deficit of Mexico with China is nearly $50 billion per year.  

Just a little humor ....my daughter in the states adopted a Chinese baby.  It is the custom to give various workers and care givers a gift. Frustrated she complained that everything she thought to make a nice gift was made in China.

6 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

Bennie2--I'm going to be very honest with you here--I do not read most of what you post for the simple reason that I find ut hard to wade through beacause it is hard to tell where sentences end and begin. Could you please use capital letters where required? 

Oh no. Now we'll get a long rant on the evils of capital letters.

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Oh no. Now we'll get a long rant on the evils of capital letters.

Well, I know he can capitalize letters because he uses them in other parts of his posts, like US, or NOT for emphhasis, but Bennie seems to have an aversion to capitalizing the first word in a sentence.  Therefore when I look at his posts they look like one long run-on sentence which I don't want to make the effort to decipher. Maybe I'm the only one who feels like this.  Just call it the "grammar police" in me. And Bennie probably doesn't care if I read his posts anyway, though I would think anybody who takes the time to write a post hopes it will be read and considered.  

Archived