Chapala.com Webboard

Backlash

Earl

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Earl said:

I do not want or intend to get a discussion of politics going but simply want to comment on what happened to me and a friend today at a government office in Chapala and to find out if others have experienced anything similar from officials or locals.  The person at the desk filled out the necessary paperwork for my friend but said in Spanish that there would be no English spoken.  My friend does not speak Spanish, so the official told me that when she called back with the needed information that it would not be in English, so I offered my  phone number for her to call, which she wrote down;  then she went into a rant (voice raised, rapid speech, hands gesturing) that Mexicans go to the US and work so hard, and YOUR President doesn't want us (friend had to produce passport, so she knew our nationality), so there would be no English spoken for us.  She emphatically added, "And Pena Nieto will NOT be going to the US to meet with Trump."  S

I tend to be positive thinking, but I feel that this is only the beginning and that backlash against US citizens here could come from officials and locals in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.  I was hoping this would not happen, but after experiencing this today, I'm now having different thoughts.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I kind of feared and expected this. I'm hoping this woman civil servant isn't typical.She is out of line. But I think it requires us to respond emphatically and politely to a person like her that not every American living here voted for Trump. I think many Mexicans realize most expats here loath this president.

Lexy

6 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

MC is one of the most informed & open minded people on this forum. hes a free thinker, not afraid to explore both sides. even if he questions something, he will check it out & consider. he doesnt need validation.  it is political but that was the OP opening. this is not the octagon. everyone here is civil. 

I gotta laugh. MC couldn't have said it better.

MC, I'm depending on your sense of humor here.

Lexy

3 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Speaking of earning income illegally, I have heard that NOB those that go illegally and break  Immigration Laws also earn money illegals, and I have heard it is in the millions, not just a few, as in the expats. Also, IO hear that many of those illegals also get some free benefits (even after they have broken laws there). Again, in the millions. I seriously doubt if any of those illegals have had background checks, or even been checked to have vaccinations or checked to be free of disease.( since I have heard that many diseases/illnesses have been wiped out NOB, many people there no longer need immunizations, unless someone enters the country illegally with one of those diseases. I doubt hat anti American sentiment will never reach the levels of anti Illegal sentiment that has been rampant NOB for several years, from what I have heard. As a person who went through the whole process NOB with a Mexican wife (visa, green card, citizenship), I can tell you first hand that it is not that different than gaining citizenship here. I think maybe moving ahead, the US will look to hiring Legals a lot more.

Tell me HookEmHorns, were you given a background check, checked for vaccinations and / or free of disease before you came to Mexico?  I'll bet that you weren't.  And what about the money that expats earn down here, and the free health benefits (if they choose)

Further to what I posted above, most of the guys I have talked to who worked in the US were definitely not living a better quality of life NOB. They were most often living in flop-house type conditions, with 9 others to a room on dirty mattresses on the floor, and disrespected and condescended to by their employers, who were enjoying a bigger profit by hiring illegal Mexicans for wages the average American would never work for. They put up with all of that just so that they could earn some money to send back to their families.

3 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Maybe the US needs to be more like Mexico, because the rest of the World doesn't seem to care how many are killed here, what rights are violated, etc. No one would notice it then, and people from other countries would not pretend to be experts about its government. Just sayin'

The reason that the rest of the world doesn't seem to care about how many are killed in Mexico, as opposed to the amount in the U.S., is because it is infinitestimal compared to the amount of killings in the U.S!  

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

I know and speak with many Mexicans, many of whom have lived and worked in the US, some illegally, some legally. Very few of those who have lived in the US are at all anxious to go back, saying they have a better life in Mexico- their families are here, fruit hangs off the trees for the picking, people are more laid back, etc.

Regardless of the statistics ( which as everyone knows can be arrived at in many ways to prove whatever point one wants to make), I think the average American has a misconception that everyone in the world would jump at the chance to live in the US. Sort of like the misconception that everyone on welfare is a lazy bum who simply doesn't want to work.

Totally agree with you mudgirl!  I certainly wouldn't choose to live in the U.S!

38 minutes ago, bennie2 said:

MC is one of the most informed & open minded people on this forum. hes a free thinker, not afraid to explore both sides. even if he questions something, he will check it out & consider. he doesnt need validation.  it is political but that was the OP opening. this is not the octagon. everyone here is civil. 

Really???  What have you been smoking, bennie2?

11 minutes ago, suegarn said:

The reason that the rest of the world doesn't seem to care about how many are killed in Mexico, as opposed to the amount in the U.S., is because it is infinitestimal compared to the amount of killings in the U.S!  

You should really check your information before posting.

Archived