Chapala.com Webboard

traffic flow on Caraterra

quigley

It seems to me that the traffic lights at SUPERLAKE as well as the 2 in Lafloresta are intentionally programmed to impede traffic flow.  A far longer green phase for traffic on the Caraterra would only be a minor irritation to traffic crossing the Caraterra, however it would be a major benefit for flow on the westerly or easterly direction in my opinion.  I can't understand why such a simple fix couldn't be put into effect.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, quigley said:

It seems to me that the traffic lights at SUPERLAKE as well as the 2 in Lafloresta are intentionally programmed to impede traffic flow.  A far longer green phase for traffic on the Caraterra would only be a minor irritation to traffic crossing the Caraterra, however it would be a major benefit for flow on the westerly or easterly direction in my opinion.  I can't understand why such a simple fix couldn't be put into effect.

Wow - you weren't supposed to know that! The Ing. who programs these things, sits on his stool all day carefully planning these distractions. He is an angry, bitter man, who feels he should have had more recognition in his life. Now his wife is leaving him, so get ready for more of the same.

They should never have installed that second light to begin with. Flow was "decent" before that went in. Traffic is further exacerbated by that ridiculous "water hump" at the middle entrance, because it chokes off everyone heading east.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow - you weren't supposed to know that! The Ing. who programs these things, sits on his stool all day carefully planning these distractions. He is an angry, bitter man, who feels he should have had more recognition in his life. Now his wife is leaving him, so get ready for more of the same.

Chillin even in the USA there are regulations against hiriing anyone for traffic engineer who owns a vehicle or drives, that is true in spades here. New traffic control on Colima highway going in from Jocotepec to Costco: they have painted solid white lines between the  lanes for many miles so you can't change lanes for NO discernable reason. What gives?

7 hours ago, quigley said:

Unfortunately, it's not a minor irritation for pedestrians trying to legally cross the carreterra at any of these lights, especially if you're trying to catch a bus.  The lights will stay green on the carreterra way too long, and cars back up on side streets, and the bus drivers just look at you, smile and shrug their shoulders while they drive away!

It appears to me the problem here is more one of the spacing and interaction between the two lights than it is about timing.

I still can't get used to how fast traffic levels increased around here.  Seems only yesterday you could drive from Ajijic to Chapala in less than 10 minutes.

The length of the red lights in the area under discussion is 25 seconds. This is not a lifetime for pedestrians.

Before we had all these lights, and I'm talking within the last 10 years, there was little to worry about. Traffic flowed well (and would still, as the flashing lights on busy weekends through town prove), and motorists frequently stopped for pedestrians, because we weren't PO'd all the time because of the lights.

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

They should never have installed that second light to begin with. Flow was "decent" before that went in. Traffic is further exacerbated by that ridiculous "water hump" at the middle entrance, because it chokes off everyone heading east.

I always go east over that hump. No choking for me-maybe my vehicle is higher. 

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

IMHO the light at SuperLake does serve a purpose. The one immediately to the west does not, and is a major cause of the congestion in that area.

I can't say for certain anymore, as it's been too long, and we have a lot more cars now. Prior to that light, the only time something was needed was during school ingress and egress. All other traffic moved just fine coming donw from Allen W. Lloyd, and turning left... because there were no lights!. The second light, in conjunction with SuperLake's parking and the timing of the lights with both in use, is what causes the jamups.

I find that the worst traffic jam on the carreterra is coming in from the west due to the lights at Juarez and Colon.  I've seen eastbound traffic sometimes backed up west of Casa del Waffle!  From there, it's just stop and go until they get past Colon, then it eases up somewhat.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:34 PM, geeser said:

Chillin even in the USA there are regulations against hiriing anyone for traffic engineer who owns a vehicle or drives, that is true in spades here. New traffic control on Colima highway going in from Jocotepec to Costco: they have painted solid white lines between the  lanes for many miles so you can't change lanes for NO discernable reason. What gives?

I thought it was solid yellow lines you couldn't cross.  So solid white lines mean the same?  Why have different colors of paint?  Guess they ran out of yellow.

Living east of San Antonio so I pass through these lights frequently, it seems to me that it is only recently that traffic is so backed up at them that cars are stopped in the middle of the libramiento intersection when the east bound light turns red, thus impeding cars coming south on the libramiento turning left (east bound) on the carretera.  Many drivers are now driving on the paved area by Walmart to get around the backup then trying to squeeze back in the line of traffic at the end of that area.  

It will be interesting to see if there are as many backups at those lights once the snowbirds leave.  Certainly the backups at those lights have gotten worse since their arrival this winter.  No offense meant, snowbirds.  Just an observation.  Not your fault that the roads are inadequate and there is no left turn lane at the westernmost light nor one at the middle-of-the-parking-lot entrance to Super Lake.  Those would help with traffic flow.

Archived