Chapala.com Webboard

Tax on remittances to Mexico by Americans

Me Linda

Hello everyone! I have rented a temporary home for May while I look for a permanent residency. I have my PR application completed here. I read on several reputable news sites that Trump has said he will tax all remittance ( money?) sent to Mexico by Mexicans and Americans. He said this is how he will pay for his wall .Does anyone know what remittances mean? Will he tax my social security if it is sent here ?  Will he tax money I take from my American bank account while I am here ? Maybe someone can explain  what remittances means ? I don't know if I am posting this in the right place as I am new on this board? This could really impact my income and my move . Thank you

Stay tuned. At this point everything is conjecture. Take a deep breath and continue your preparations. Nobody knows any more than they know who will win the Super Bowl. Placing a tax on where Americans can take their money would probably be a tough sell.

Back in 1960, I had gone to Turkey to find a house & send for my family. Then the “Gold Flow“ restriction was implemented and my families passports were held at the point of departure, prohibiting them from leaving to join me.  I had to wire my congressman and raise a stink, since holding a citizen‘s passport that way is illegal & our car and furniture were already enroute to Turkey.  Within 24 hours, a USAF Colonel delivered the passports to my wife.  However, her free government passage to Turkey, with the children, was cancelled & I had to pay the fare.  It was all overturned a year or so later & we all returned to the USA at government expense, but there was no refund for what we lost.  The yellow headed non-reader will probably try some similar tricks, if he is not kicked out first.

9 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Back in 1960, I had gone to Turkey to find a house & send for my family. Then the “Gold Flow“ restriction was implemented and my families passports were held at the point of departure, prohibiting them from leaving to join me.  I had to wire my congressman and raise a stink, since holding a citizen‘s passport that way is illegal & our car and furniture were already enroute to Turkey.  Within 24 hours, a USAF Colonel delivered the passports to my wife.  However, her free government passage to Turkey, with the children, was cancelled & I had to pay the fare.  It was all overturned a year or so later & we all returned to the USA at government expense, but there was no refund for what we lost.  The yellow headed non-reader will probably try some similar tricks, if he is not kicked out first.

The last sentence is more conjecture and prejudicial.

Archived