Chapala.com Webboard

Pot roast cuts

ComputerGuy

I am now licking my lips, having eaten a goodly portion of the literally falling-apart roast after six hours in the slow cooker, with potatos and onions, and a ton of juices for making gravy or just au jus. So now I have one more dependable word in my vocab: diezmillo.

Happy to share the very simple Sweet & Sour Roast recipe with anyone who wants.

• 2 kilo chuck (or whatever) roast, mas o menos
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 onion, cut into chunks (add other veg, if desired)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • salt & pepper to taste.

(I seared the roast in a large frying pan, just for fun, but that is not required. It does give a little crackle to the finished product.)

Dump everything into the crock pot and set on low for four to six hours

You can thicken the gravy left over with flour, but I just leave it au natural.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I am now licking my licks, having eaten a goodly portion of the literally falling-apart roast after six hours in the slow cooker, with potatos and onions, and a ton of juices for making gravy or just au jus. So now I have one more dependable word in my vocab: diezmillo.

Are you angling for an invitation to dinner? ?

• 1 month later...

Okay, last week i had my friend Antonio's wife pick up a pot roast for me at a butcher shop somewhere in Joco.  Gave her the ordering instructions that More Liana gave.  Nanci got me a 2-kilo slab of it for 226 pesos.  

Finally made it in the crockpot today with carrots, onions, potatoes, and some beef broth (caldo de res).  Cooked it for 4 hours on high and then 2 more hours on low.  Oh, i did season it and sear it in a frying pan before i loaded it into the crockpot.  

It is DELICIOUS!!!  

Thanks everybody for the info!  

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody remember their mother making pot roast?  Take a chuck roast and place it on heavy duty alum. foil. then spread it with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup and top that with a pkg of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.  Fold up the foil and bake at 300 degrees for 1hour per pound.  This was our favorite Sunday meal!  My brother called it Stringy Beef!

maw

Archived