Chapala.com Webboard

Pot roast cuts

ComputerGuy

If I go to see Ceasar or one of the other local butchers, what should I ask for to get something for my slow cooker? Used to be the cheaper cuts were the order of the day for big families with not a lot of money.... (but there are no longer "cheaper cuts", are there?) So chuck, shoulder... do they have a real equivalent name here? I have charts and pictures, but there's nothing like the actual local phrase to get what you want.

(I've got diezmillo and paleta for chuck and shoulder.)

Please post back if you find something that approximates the cheap, usually fatty meat that falls apart in the slow cooker. I'd love the old 7 blade roast or similar. On a recommendation, I tried Costco's arrachera. Sounds weird, but it's tender, the only tender meat we could find. Fell apart nicely in the slow cooker. It was expensive, of course. So many Mexican meat cuts turn into weaponized pellets when cooked.

Almost any big chunk of beef will get tender if you slow cook it for about eight hours with a suitable assortment of vegetable flavorings, spices and liquids.  Keep the temperature low; maybe as low as 150-160 F.

50 minutes ago, hensley said:

That is some kind of FaceBook page that wants me to sign in; all the graphics are missing, though. Since I am permanently signed in to FaceBook, that link is unfortunately broken somehow.

When I want it to be tender for sure in the crock I buy the beef cut labeled fajitas at Walmart. 3-4 hours in the crock with some water and beef bouillon and fork tender.

I frequently also add some liquid smoke and a little BBQ sauce. Then chop it and use to create what's called in Houston a Kitchen Sink. Baked potato with butter, chopped beef, BBQ sauce, shredded cheese, jalapeños and sour cream.

Probably worse than that Poutine you guys talk about

33 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

When I want it to be tender for sure in the crock I buy the beef cut labeled fajitas at Walmart. 3-4 hours in the crock with some water and beef bouillon and fork tender.

I frequently also add some liquid smoke and a little BBQ sauce. Then chop it and use to create what's called in Houston a Kitchen Sink. Baked potato with butter, chopped beef, BBQ sauce, shredded cheese, jalapeños and sour cream.

But it sounds a lot better than Poutine - to me anyway!

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I bought some of that the other day at WalMart, and sliced it against the grain to make, well, fajitas. It actually turned out to be quite tender in the frying pan. But what I am looking for here is a whole roast.

Spanish It wont print correctly.
English
Spanish
English
aguayon
sirloin
deshebrar
to shred
aguayon en trozo
sirloin tip roast
deshuesado
boneless
agujas cortas
short ribs
diezmillo
chuck
arrachera
skirt steak
diezmillo
blade or rib roast
bistec de lomo
top loin (strip) steak
diezmillo en trozo
chuck roast
bistec corazon de diezmillo
chuck shoulder steak, boneless
empuje en trozo
tri-tip roast
bistec de aguayon
top sirloin steak
en trozo
boneless
bistec de centro
top round steak
entrecof
rib
bistec de cuete
eye round steak
falda
flank steak
bistec de empuje
tri-tip steak
filete
short loin
bistec de filete
tenderloin steak
filete
filet mignon
bistec suavizado
cubed steak
filete en trozo
tenderloin roast
carne de res
beef
jugo de res
neck (used for broths)
carne molida
ground beef
lomo
loin
carne para asar
meat for grilling
lomo
short loin
carne para deshebrar
meat for shredding (tacos)
milanesa de pulpa bola
round tip steak, thin cut
carne para guisar
meat for stewing
molida de res
ground beef
carne para guisar
stew beef
paleta
chuck (shoulder)
chambarete
shank
paleta
shoulder (pot roast)
chambarete de mano
foreshank or cross cut shank
pecho
brisket
chambarete de mano
rear shank
pecho, corte plano, deshuesado
boneless flat cut brisket
chuleta de aguayon
sirloin steak
pescuezo
neck (used for broths)
chuleta de filete
top loin steak
picada
very finely chopped
chulete de los lomos
porterhouse
pierna
round
chuleton
rib steak
pulpa
boneless
copete
for stock
pulpa bola en trozo
round tip roast
costillar de primera
eye roast, premium
pulpa contra en trozo
bottom round roast
costillar punta pequena
rib roast
res para guisar
stew meat/beef
costillas
rib roast or steak
retazo con hueso
soup bones
costillas
ribs
rib eye steak
rib eye steak (yes, the same)
costillas chuletas
rib steaks
sabana
tenderloin steak, pounded thin
costillas traseras
back ribs
tapa
round/rump roast
cubos para brochetas
beef for kebabs
T-bone
T-bone (yes, the same)
cuete en trozo
eye round roast
tintas de carne
beef for stir-fry
tuetano
bone marrow
milanesa de tennera
thin cut veal, for parmesan

So you want a cut with lots of fat and bone for flavor. Go to a butcher who will custom cut a roast for you. He will bring the side of beef out. What you want is the prime rib roast. Ask for lots of fat to be left on and in. Get him to cut the ribs off the roast, leaving about 1.5" of meat on. These will be tied back on the roast with string before cooking. Make sure he saws off the backbone - you can brown it and use for stock (maybe buy some neck bones while you are there. It will cost a few more pesos than a blade type cut, but you will have very tender pulled beef or stew, and the rib bones are fantastic on the BBQ. This would cost a fortune in the North, but it is ordered so rarely here, that it is a reasonable locally.

No, don't want a prime rib, thanks. The cheaper cuts are where it's at for me for slow cooking. And truly, I haven't run into a butcher yet who won't custom cut anything at all. The chuck (diezmillo) shoulder that I just bought, $145p/kilo, is going to be today's test.

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

If I go to see Ceasar or one of the other local butchers, what should I ask for to get something for my slow cooker? Used to be the cheaper cuts were the order of the day for big families with not a lot of money.... (but there are no longer "cheaper cuts", are there?) So chuck, shoulder... do they have a real equivalent name here? I have charts and pictures, but there's nothing like the actual local phrase to get what you want.

(I've got diezmillo and paleta for chuck and shoulder.)

Diezmillo is what you want for pot roast.  Just ask your butcher for the size you want in un solo trozo.  1 kilo, 2 kilos, whatever you need.

Thanks, More Liana, and that is exactly what I asked for. After Cesar accused me of trying to trick him with wordplay, he trimmed and cut me a nice 1.2k trozo or offcut. I will let you know how my Mom's Sweet&Sour potroast turns out...

10 hours ago, bournemouth said:

But it sounds a lot better than Poutine - to me anyway!

I'm with you, Boournemouth.  A stuffed baked potato sounds yummy no matter what it is stuffed with whereas French fries topped with squeaky cheese and gravy does not.  Of course the problem with a stuffed baked potato here is difficult as it is hard to find the right kind of potatoes to bake.  I didn't even see Russet potatoes at Super Lake for the holidays as usual.  

Rey Taco always seem to find  good potatoes. Their very well stuffed potato is 60 pesos. I was considering growing some good potatoes, but after I saw how much work it was to dig up camotes - no thanks, too much work to ask anybody to do. I imagine the only way commercial quantities are possible is if you had a tractor, towing some sort of harvesting device.

Archived