Chapala.com Webboard

Architect costs and general budget

Bherrera

Hey Guys:

Some General questions for you all. I appreciate it and my wife and I are planning to moving to the area in the next 18 months.

1)What is a "ballpark" budget on building a house?  Would 300K USD be a good budget?

2)What architects do you recommend.  How do they charge? By the hour, the project?  Does he or she work with you to get permits with the municipalities?

3)Who are good real estate agents in the area?  What do you guys look for when you are working with said agents?

4)I hear that lots that do not have plumbing and electric will cost double to develop because of cost.  Is this true?

I appreciate your help guys.  Please bear with me as I ask many questions.  But I hope to cultivate good relationships with you all and hopefully invite you to dinner when I come on down later on this year.

There are so many homes available on the market why would you go through the pain of building?  Building a home here is very different than building in  the United States or Canada. There are many pitfalls and since there are no building codes and you do not know what you are looking at as the build happens you could build yourself a lot of trouble.

Could it work out wonderfully?  Sure but buy a rabbit's foot on the way down.

For $300,000.00 you can buy a large, lovely home ready for you to move into if you search carefully and have a good realtor.

Archived