Chapala.com Webboard

48 hour "fact finding" mission

dfwguy

Hello, We will be in Chapala region- March 2017 for 48 hours. The purpose is to 'check out' the region as a potential retirement destination (retirement in 5 years).

Any recommendations on what to do to maximize our time there? Not interested in doing touristy things. We would like to drive to towns around the lake, taking note of amenities, communities, etc. Would hiring a local guide be useful? Any recommendations? My Spanish language skills are nor great. Would renting a car be a wise choice and self-guide?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, ideas, etc? 

Would not at all suggest renting a car and doing it yourself.  Two things, perhaps .... One day with a guide (there are plenty of good ones that speak English) and one day with a realtor seeing a few houses in the different villages.  The villages are very close to each other and you can get a good overview in a day or two ...  Maybe just do both days with the realtor.  They are used to people coming down and checking out neighborhoods, etc.  They have long lead times on their efforts.

How much time would you take to make an important financial decision impacting your lifestyle, your family, and tax implications?  More than 48 hours I'll bet.  Do you, or will you in 5 years, speak fluent Spanish?  If not why take a "touristy" drive around the lake?  I think most of us who moved here considered other countries, their financial ramifications, climate and culture.  For us the winner was Lakeside and for most to locate within the municipality of Chapala.  I would take these considerations into play as if analyzing a stock prospectus.   Then I'd come down for a couple of weeks to check out the immediate area.  Then, consider renting and visiting the outlying areas of Guanajuato, San Miguel etc. for a year.   Just my recommendations and ideas.

25 minutes ago, el bartman said:

How much time would you take to make an important financial decision impacting your lifestyle, your family, and tax implications?  More than 48 hours I'll bet.  Do you, or will you in 5 years, speak fluent Spanish?  If not why take a "touristy" drive around the lake?  I think most of us who moved here considered other countries, their financial ramifications, climate and culture.  For us the winner was Lakeside and for most to locate within the municipality of Chapala.  I would take these considerations into play as if analyzing a stock prospectus.   Then I'd come down for a couple of weeks to check out the immediate area.  Then, consider renting and visiting the outlying areas of Guanajuato, San Miguel etc. for a year.   Just my recommendations and ideas.

Excellent,el bartman! 48 hours is about long enough to know next to nothing.

14 hours ago, dfwguy said:

Hello, We will be in Chapala region- March 2017 for 48 hours. The purpose is to 'check out' the region as a potential retirement destination (retirement in 5 years).

Any recommendations on what to do to maximize our time there? Not interested in doing touristy things. We would like to drive to towns around the lake, taking note of amenities, communities, etc. Would hiring a local guide be useful? Any recommendations? My Spanish language skills are nor great. Would renting a car be a wise choice and self-guide?

You would need a week or more

On 1/22/2017 at 6:22 PM, dfwguy said:

Sounds like you work for an airline??? Quick trips are a way of life

I would agree that 48 hours won't get you much more than a personal view of what you can see on the web, but......   if that is what you want or can do I know that there are a couple of local 'guys' who will be a guide for you for say a day, driving you around etc. Maybe someone who remembers a name/number could speak up. I know the Miramontes for sure could do it but I think there are others.

Good luck.

I guess we were a little crazy ourselves.  I read about Lakeside in the AARP Magazine.  We came down on vacation and in 2 days put a contract on a house.  Granted we were here for 2 weeks but we spent that time finding a contractor, making detailed plans as to the remodeling we wanted, getting the utilities in our names, etc.  It certainly did not take long at all for us to know this is where we wanted to be.  I know this is a decision that a lot of people take a long time to make.  We are all different.  However, I think 2 days here would be plenty to glean a lot of information.  During the next 5 years you could do the same in other areas if you wanted.  This, by the way, is why no one (friends or family) knew what we were thinking of doing until it was done.  If you are interested in a couple of references for knowledgeable drivers or realtors, pm me and I will be glad to recommend both.  In that manner we won't start an argument about what realtor is or is not the best :)   I am sure there are others here that will also supply you with their recommendations if you ask specifically for them. 

Also, we have been here for 12 years and have no plans of leaving the area.  We have learned some Spanglish ... but certainly are not fluent in Spanish and don't think you have to be within 5 years in order to move here successfully.

The key word in your post was to "maximize" your time here. Just my opinion but I don't think driving around the lake is the best way to use up your 2 days. You'll spend an awful lot of time just driving and not seeing much to impact a decision about moving here. I would suggest getting to know the north shore towns and villages which are pretty close together and won't keep you in the car for hours. Interact with the Mexican people and try talking to expats when you see them. Get an overview of the amenities and services, and learn as much as you can about the culture of the local Mexican people. My husband and I bought a house within 36 hours of arriving and that was 13 years ago. We knew instantly that we loved it here and have no regrets. If we had spent those 36 hours driving through the countryside instead of interacting with people in the villages our life would be very different and we would probably be shoveling snow right now.

You have five years to make a decision of the head. You can easily make a decision of the heart in less than 48 hours. When I came down for a one-week vacation to visit friends I was besotted with this place in less than 24 hours. I had no intention of ever retiring in Mexico (or at all for at least another three years). However, six weeks later I was living here. That was almost nine years ago and I still love it. I agree with those who say don't spend your time sightseeing from a car. Drive along the north shore. Get out of the car at plazas and malecons. Walk around. Chat up people you encounter. You may find yourself liking it, loving it, feeling indifferent or hating it. For a 48-hour visit, that will be a lot to discover. 

We visited 3 times in 2001 each between 1and 3 weeks. We had no intention of buying anything on any of those trips. Somehow we bought a house on each of those trips and have never regretted it for a moment. Everyone is different but for us it was the right move.

Even simpler:  Stay in either Chapala or Ajijic, close to the center of things. Walk their streets, parks, malecons and a few side streets with residences. Greet everyone you pass & chat with some, both on the streets, in the restaurants and definitely on the town plazas, as you enjoy a hot dog or an ice cream.  Then, and only then, might you ask a realtor to give you an orientation drive through a few fraccionamentos and maybe even see a house or two in your price range, etc.  You will have used up all of your time and be very tired.  Now, go home and reflect.  You will return.

Buena suerte

Very good summary RV.  You can get a sense of what the villages are like best by walking.  If you want bigger and mostly Mexican, stay in Chapala, population 40K.  If you want smaller and mostly expat, Ajijic.  If your budget is smaller, any place but Ajijic.

If panoramic lake views are your thing, above the carretera.  If walk to everything, Chapala and Ajijic again.  

RV's suggestion is spot on.  Identify a Realtor to show you the hillsides in a morning, walk the village you're staying in, in an afternoon and eat out there for dinner.

Your budget and your personal preferences should enable you to narrow the focus before you ever arrive.  Fox example, walk vs. drive, view vs. price or convenience, mostly Mexican vs. mostly expat.  Be sure and visit the Lake Chapala Society and chat with the people there.  It is a great place for snack or lunch these days.

• 2 months later...

DFGuy: If one has previously lived in a different culture that only vaguely reflects lifestyle North of the Border then one can easily adapt to living in Mexico... If not then a longer stay would prove beneficial... . Echoing the responses above, Chapala is less gringoville than Ajijic... and less expensive...  One thing, you can't beat the weather! Wishing you the best....

Archived