Chapala.com Webboard

SOLAR PANEL COMPANY

JONA

Hi, Does anyone have any experiences with the solar panel company [ Soluciones Green ] in the plaza mall across from Wallmart? Their shop is new as the mall is still being populated. I'm interested in hearing the good and bad as we are shopping for panels. Jon

Go with the best you can afford...I don't mean that go with the largest quote, but get recommendations and find out about the equipment used, etc, etc, and then get the max bang for your peso. Cheaper is rarely better. To slightly modify another poster's comment, solar is a great way to go and, if done right, will pay for itself very quickly. This was one of the best investments we've made in our property.

Smart PV, formerly E2, is my provider.  Interesting that folks talk about after sales service with ESun,  while E2 customer never mention it because they didn't need any!  That said, Smart PV and ESun are the best providers Lakeside.  IMHO, get US/Can made components, NOT Chinese.

When I post about service with eSunEnergy, I was rebuilding my house when they first added panels and at the time they installed panels I only had room for some of them. Later when the remodel was completed, I added more panels.  Also I chose to put in a battery back up system something one doesn't usually do anymore. And when it came time to change the batteries they helped me do so.  With battery back, I can be totally independent of CFE and disconnect should I want to. Without battery back when CFE is down, your panels have to stop working so that they do not put electricity into the grid which would be dangerous for CFE employees trying to repair the grid

Now I have heard and I don't know if it is true that should you need Service, El Saltos, that because you purchased from E2 which doesn't exist anymore that, the new company would not be able to provide service free of charge. And that any guaranties were with the old Company not the new one. And since the old one doesn't exist anymore that you have guarantee.

I hope what I heard is not true and please correct me if it isn't

5 hours ago, johanson said:

When I post about service with eSunEnergy, I was rebuilding my house when they first added panels and at the time they installed panels I only had room for some of them. Later when the remodel was completed, I added more panels.  Also I chose to put in a battery back up system something one doesn't usually do anymore. And when it came time to change the batteries they helped me do so.  With battery back, I can be totally independent of CFE and disconnect should I want to. Without battery back when CFE is down, your panels have to stop working so that they do not put electricity into the grid which would be dangerous for CFE employees trying to repair the grid

Now I have heard and I don't know if it is true that should you need Service, El Saltos, that because you purchased from E2 which doesn't exist anymore that, the new company would not be able to provide service free of charge. And that any guaranties were with the old Company not the new one. And since the old one doesn't exist anymore that you have guarantee.

I hope what I heard is not true and please correct me if it isn't

E2 simply changed their name to Smart PV as I said in my post.  It's NOT a new company.  The warranties come from the component makers, not the vendor.

7 hours ago, El Saltos said:

Smart PV, formerly E2, is my provider.  Interesting that folks talk about after sales service with ESun,  while E2 customer never mention it because they didn't need any!  That said, Smart PV and ESun are the best providers Lakeside.  IMHO, get US/Can made components, NOT Chinese.

El Saltos, Since I'm one that posted about E-sun, I would appreciate you not misinterpreting what I wrote. I had a problem and E-Sun came immediately, despite it being FIVE YEARS after we had our solar installed. It turned out to be a problem that had nothing to do with any of our solar equipment, period. The fact that they came out so quickly, impressed me. The fact that they helped us when it was NOT their "responsibility" to do so, impressed me. The fact that they had some helpful suggestions to increase an already over-the-guaranteed amount of energy produced, impressed me. The amazing patience of Jose and his crew with my lack of understanding, impressed the hell out of me. So, the point is that Smart PV may be a good company, I don't know, BUT please do not use my compliment for another company against them.

You're not the only one who's mentioned service from ESun.  Please note two things;  I said in my post that Smart PV and ESun were the best companies Lakeside for solar PV.  I also said that E2/Smart PV customers never mention after sales service.  I find that interesting.  I had no intention to denigrate ESun.

I used a company out of Guadalajara with reasonable prices. Mistake. The company seemed quite good and I used it on the recommendation of some friends. Wrong. The first few months were great but then I was up in the DAC again. I called to the company and they wanted me to check out the system on my own! I can't put two and two together never mind trying to trouble shoot the solar job. I called several times and got nowhere. If I could do it all over again I would use Jasun at E Sun. I don't know him from Adam but I hear other solar folks talk positively about his service even after they get solar. I'm just giving you MY experience. I still have the Guadalajara company.   . :(

8 hours ago, Monessen said:

I used a company out of Guadalajara with reasonable prices. Mistake. The company seemed quite good and I used it on the recommendation of some friends. Wrong. The first few months were great but then I was up in the DAC again. I called to the company and they wanted me to check out the system on my own! I can't put two and two together never mind trying to trouble shoot the solar job. I called several times and got nowhere. If I could do it all over again I would use Jasun at E Sun. I don't know him from Adam but I hear other solar folks talk positively about his service even after they get solar. I'm just giving you MY experience. I still have the Guadalajara company.   . :(

First:  El Saltos, thank you for that follow-up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being happy w/your company, as you obviously are (and I am, too, with mine! :) ).

Monessen:  why don't you go talk to Jose at E-sun and see if they're willing to check your equipment. I'm sure it would be some sort of call-out fee, but I'm willing to bet that his people can find the problem. Odds are, it's probably electrical and in CFE's bubble of responsibility, but, like you, I hadn't a clue when we went into DAC, and it's a horrible, helpless feeling. For a few bucks, what's the harm? You'll get it back once things are back on track.

22 hours ago, El Saltos said:

IMHO, get US/Can made components, NOT Chinese.

What is specifically wrong with China made panels? I know people who are very happy with them. Very little can go wrong in the making of these panels. Shipping from China to Mexico is less than from Europe, about the same as from U.S.A. but slower. You test them when they arrive, if they are faulty, the company does not get paid, and has to pay return shipping. Better than Ebay or Amazon IMHO. I am very impressed with this new China/Mexico trade deal.

China is producing approx 80% of the world supply of PV panels and all solar firms in the area are using one or more brands of them, some also have offerings from US, CAN, Japan, and MX.

As MaineCoons has mentioned many times on this board, his STI system was installed with panels from Canada and he has the APS micro-inverters that he is most pleased with.    The same panels were installed by STI at the Templo in Guad; Premier Wynne from Ontario visited the installation on her recent tri-lateral visit.

3 hours ago, El Saltos said:

The warranty is provided by the maker, not the installer.  Chinese panel makers have been going out of business faster than Ajijic restaurants!

There is a world wide glut of solar panels. Part of the problem in the U.S. is that many of the utility companies are going to war over solar installations - especially grid tie.

This article seemed to provide a clear report.

http://www.consumerreports.org/energy-saving/how-utilities-are-fighting-back-on-solar-power/

Just saw China 100w monocrystaline solar panel $45 U.S., with free delivery to Mexico (if you can wait three weeks). Does not include I.V.A. Chinese solar panels into the U.S. now have a pretty high tariff. Also excellent buys on high quality led light bulbs, including the new liquid cooled ones.

The vast majority of solar panels sold here are made in China. It is my understanding that Mexico no longer taxes panels or invertors imported from china. There is also a company in Mexico assembling panels. Where they purchase the individual cells I don't know. Prices have remained stable for the past year, but panels are normally priced in dollars by the wholesale outlets. USA prices are usually higher for the same panel. 

El Saltos,

My system from eSun is almost 7 years old. Last spring, I noticed several of the zip ties, that were used to secure the wiring under the panels, were broken. I called them and they came out and replaced ALL the zip ties, at no cost to me. 

On 1/22/2017 at 10:36 AM, El Saltos said:

The major vendors of solar PV at Lakeside are SmartPV, formerly known as E2, and ESun.  Neither of them use Chinese components.  

I am looking at an eSun brochure using Yingli Solar panels made in China. Enphase 215 micro invertors made in China.by a US based company.  

He apparently also doesn't know that STI Solar Technology has installed many of the largest (and smallest, and hundreds in between) solar systems at lakeside for years, including the 80 panel community solar electric system this year at Riviera Alta which is performing extremely well, 50 panels at casa Carpe Diem, the solar electric and solar hot water systems for the Chapala Country Club, the extensive solar hot water systems at the Love In Action Tepehua facility in Chapala, and countless others in homes and business at lakeside and beyond.     Now again sponsoring (10th year) the Northern Lights Music Festival de Febrero, and looking forward to seeing you all at the Chili Cookoff; >>>  STI was the first solar company to participate in the Chili.

http://www.festivaldefebrero.com/2017-sponsors/

Archived