Chapala.com Webboard

Peso Hits 22 !!!

Hud

Nobody I know had a gun to their head when they signed a contract denominated in dollars. If they choose to pay in pesos Mexican law gives them that right. Where is the problem?

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Nobody I know had a gun to their head when they signed a contract denominated in dollars. If they choose to pay in pesos Mexican law gives them that right. Where is the problem?

Pappysmarket, how about addressing the rest of my example . . the landlord I use as an example is saying to the tenant, sure you can pay in pesos in you wish, but I expect it to be each month tied to the current exchange rate. That is:for $700 at 18.5, I want 12,950 p. When the exchange rate goes up to, say, 19.2, I'll expect that month 13, 440 p. And so on, to today's exchange rate of 22.?

My point is that while we can all argue this until the holy cows come home, no one is citing the civil law on rentals in Jalisco. Not any one of the local attorneys that I know of.

Many of us are spouting what we think is right or wrong, without knowing the law on rentals. I'm raising the question, what's legal?

I've been a renter for 20 years and what's going on now is like nothing we've seen--or had to tolerate. It's makes no sense. Maybe to you, of course, PappyM. I'm looking for legal answers and explanations. I won't be back here to argue such things as "Nobody. . . had a gun to their head...."

My point was that 2 people can make a legal contract in Mexico that specifies payment in any recognizebale currency in the world. Could be US dollars or Thai Bhats, doesn't matter. Could be a rental, sale or any other contract. Mexican law permits the payor to pay in pesos if they prefer at the daily posted exchange rate. If landlords were not able to price their rentals in US or CN dollars there would be far fewer rentals available. Allowing people to make contracts in whatever currency they choose makes for more "sellers" willing to sell which in turn makes more choices for "buyers ". For someone whose income or assets are in pesos it makes good sense to not sign a long term deal in anything other than pesos.

Archived