Chapala.com Webboard

bringing car

Peggy

I am moving to Ajijic in May with my personal belongings and my small dog.  I am driving because I do not want to put my dog in cargo and she is too big to travel in the cabin.  This is my question.  Can I bring my car into Mexico if it has a lien (loan) on it?  Thanks.

You may want to ask the lienholder for a letter of permission. If you have registration in your name, exactly as on your passport, you may get the Importada Temporal at the border without any questions, but it is supposed to be YOUR car, and if there is a lien, then it is not.  You also say that you are planning to “move“ to Mexico, so that raises the issue of a residence permit and the fact that sometime in the next 4 years you will have to remove that car from Mexico and sell it in the USA.  So, you may want to consider using it for the move and then taking a quick trip north to sell it; probably at a loss, since it is financed.   Another option, is to board your dog with family or friends for a few months, while you fly or bus down, get your home and visa established, buy a car (which requires a residence visa) and then drive it north to pick up the dog and stuff.  In the long run, that is the simpler and less expensive way.

The legal answer is yes you need a letter of permission from lien holder. It is one of Aduana's regulations. If you did not Aduana will not know you have a lien as registration does not show lien holder. 

Archived