Chapala.com Webboard

Internet Service in Brisas

Zeb

Interesting... We come from Stratford Ontario and there is municipal WiFi that was installed by the local electricity supplier to facilitate the Smart Meters that were being installed. You can also become a subscriber as they provide barebones ISP functions (no email) and the expected bandwidth is around 8Mbps. I balked at that a few years ago, thinking it just would not do and paid through the nose for Rogers Broadband via cable. Wish I could get that here now.

I used to live in West Ajijic in La Huerta and had both Telmex and Telecable. They both sucked. Now I live in Riberas and the internet is good BUT ONLY WHEN THE WIND ISN'T BLOWING.

It totally depends on where you are/which side of the street you live on/whether you woke up with a smile on your face. Just kidding except for the first option. It would seem that, when renting a house, you should take your laptop with you and check out the connection for yourself.........and don't forget to check if the outlets are really grounded as well.

3 hours ago, ChicagOntarian said:

I do love and appreciate the responses given here, truly I do, but I guess I'm a bit discouraged to not hear any alternatives. Is Telecable a possible alternative? If I am living in a home where TelMex provides ISP service, can I get it swapped out to Telecable for six months? Or is that too much hassle? We will be living in a different home come May but the service there is two blocks above Perry's Pizza in Las Salvias and the speed there is no better, in fact, it's exactly the same as we have now 1.7 and virtually never faster.  Will they guarantee the bandwidth when/if I order?

There is no Telecable in Ch. Haciendas or Brisas. You can have both TelMex and Telecable at the same time, as they are different services.

The lowest rate I recorded in Las Salvias was 3. Other speeds in Las Salvias were 5, 8.5 and 9.5. And no, they will not guarantee anything, but they do seem to have a better handle on who gets what where. That being said, TelMex staff locally are master BSers.

18 hours ago, ChicagOntarian said:

I do love and appreciate the responses given here, truly I do, but I guess I'm a bit discouraged to not hear any alternatives. Is Telecable a possible alternative? If I am living in a home where TelMex provides ISP service, can I get it swapped out to Telecable for six months? Or is that too much hassle? We will be living in a different home come May but the service there is two blocks above Perry's Pizza in Las Salvias and the speed there is no better, in fact, it's exactly the same as we have now 1.7 and virtually never faster.  Will they guarantee the bandwidth when/if I order?

Sorry to be so dogged about this, but it is important to us and does affect one's life in today's world. Probably more than we'd like but.....

Thank you all

I wouldn`t put much hope in Telecable.  In Riberas, it took them a year, dozens of office visits, dozens of home visits to get us from 1.0 mbps to 5. After that, it sorta kinda stayed there for a while. 

Not to belabour a point - but does anyone know if these new modems are actually faster, or is it just an improvement of the Telmex Wi-fi router function, which from our experience is bad for Telmex/modems/wi-fi more than a few years old? We left the modem on, then turned off the Telmex wi-fi, connected the modem ethernet to a new wi-fi router (Archer C7), dual band, the latest encriptions, and it improved our Wi Fi internet speed by about 25%. The telephone line to the pole was totally replaced about one year ago. We live less than 1 km away from a Telmex junction box. We get a beautiful picture on Roku/ Netflix (Mexico) at the standard 480 stream, which costs 99 pesos per month. Now looking at installing radiosity and a plex media server. Plex has made some very big upgrades in their not for free version, including integration with Alexa (voice command over all you media devices, music playback coming soon. Plex has also collaborated on some very easy software to install Plex on Linux boxes.

Ookla speed test 1.67 down, .32 up. This is faster than the normal 1.2. Wed, about noon.

I can find no differences in capability, in terms of quality of service (QoS), of the signal coming in, between any of the modems available. Older modems will not be able to support VDSL, which is replacing ADSL here. VDSL does not require any work done in the neighbourhood; it is all back at the office end. Also, older modems are capped at a lower speed, so no matter how fast in your neighbourhood, it won't take it beyond 9 or 10 Mbps. But that is not to say the latest is the greatest: the dual-band modems they introduced last year are useless, too, for getting over 10Mbps, because they are not capable. TelMex replaced these with single-band versions of the same modem, but I have not been able to test them yet.

What will improve is the strength, and therefore distance, of the WiFi. Compared to the four year old modems, the WiFi distance should improve 10-20%. And there is no router made anywhere, available to the public, that can currently improve on that. They all use the same IEEE technology.

Can I ask, did the Infinitum guy give any more details, and was the meeting well attended? For example, did he specifically say you guys are getting fibre, or that it is an extension of the hotle/condo/whatever it is?

We just got our new modem in Chapala Hacienda today.  The rep told us we could select which package we want (10, 20, 40mbts) that will be available in 2 weeks.  Can't come soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Can I ask, did the Infinitum guy give any more details, and was the meeting well attended? For example, did he specifically say you guys are getting fibre, or that it is an extension of the hotle/condo/whatever it is?

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Fiber optics

The only difference - still 1.6 download - is the quality is better. It is more slippery now, I know sounds like William Gibson and Matrix - but it's true.

ps. Ican't believe I have to call customer service to find out hoe to turn off Wi-Fi. Nothing in the "manual".

1 hour ago, Me Linda said:

I am moving in May to temporary rental , 1 month . I will rent a house when I get there . I understand nada of what is being said here ?. What areas of Chapala or ijijic have the best internet speed reception in general? 

This will be almost impossible to answer as one street in the same neighborhood can possibly have different speeds than the next street over.... a generalization but you get the picture.

Best you just wait until you are here and then begin asking. When you go to a possible rental residence, ask to get a 'reading' of what the Internet speeds are consistently in this casa. Also, don't overlook the ability to use cellphone Internet (which will "eliminate" the bad wiring situation associated with a landline telephone connection). And then there is cable TV Internet as an option but mostly, IMO, that is a blind street to drive down... mostly.

Also, as another tactic, 'hire' Computer Guy (on this Board) to give you some tutorials on terminology and to suggest where generally has the best Internet speeds and where to avoid. Just saying.....

I have been told by TelMex that the new Hotel across from Chapala Haciendas 2 paid for the Fiber Optics installation in Chapala Haciendas  and maybe Brisas. TelMex was at the Haciendas office today handing out new modems for the Fracc.

Apparently it will be between 2-3 weeks for TelMex to update whatever they have to do internally and then the fiber optics will be in use and coordinate with the new modems.

Who knows, we may have decent internet soon.

The beauty of Mexico!...get a different story from everyone you talk too.  I don't believe fiber optic to each individual home is feasible in Mexico at this time.

The Telmex Rep in Ajijic office told me this morning:

rumor is the hotel paid for fiber optics and new server.

The new server is  in place and is installed.

3- weeks to connect existing old lines to new server.

At which time speed should increase, possibly up to 20Mg/s if you get the 20M package (yea right).

fingers crossed

12 minutes ago, kurtvidal said:

I don't believe fiber optic to each individual home is feasible in Mexico at this time.

If you mean to all homes in Mexico you are right. But in some places like Guadalajara fiber optic to each individual home is getting pretty common. I have fiber optic into my home and can choose another 3 companies with optic fiber into my home. The only company i can choose in my area that don't offer fiber into the homes is izzi which still use coax the last part of the connection to the home. But all others all offer fiber optic into the homes with speeds up to 300mbps.

22 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Most of these modems have a WPS/WiFi button somewhere or other, front or side; when held down for 3 seconds, they change states.

What do you mean by slippery?

Sorry CG - I didn't see this. There is no other words to describe it, everything loads a little more predictably, no dropped signals - that sort of thing. I believe you called it quality of service. Sort of makes you believe that these new technologies actually do have some sort of potential. Sort of makes me want to get a William Gibson "wet implant".

https://www.theguardian.com/membership/2014/nov/14/william-gibsons-digital-thumbprint-from-neuromancer-to-interstellar

ps. I'll try the 3 -5 second thing again, before waking up some tech in Mexico City.

Archived